Shrinkwrap?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 pm 

Question?

All of the stuff I bought back in the late 70's and early 80's came in heavy plastic ziplock type bags. I don't recall ever buying anything that was shrinkwraped.

Is shrinkwrap being used as a generic term as in "still in it's original packaging" or was everything really shrinkwraped and I am just not remembering.

Patrick

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 pm 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:Question?

All of the stuff I bought back in the late 70's and early 80's came in heavy plastic ziplock type bags. I don't recall ever buying anything that was shrinkwraped.

Is shrinkwrap being used as a generic term as in "still in it's original packaging" or was everything really shrinkwraped and I am just not remembering.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,
 It really depends on what product and what company you are dealing with as to whther or not items came shrinkwrapped or not.  Most of TSR's products from that time frame back in the day with the exception of hardcover books, came in any of a wide variety of different types shrinkwrap, depending on what year that you would be looking from.  Now, on the other hand, certain Wee Warriors products such as Palace of the Vampire Queen and Dwarven Glory were both put out with zip lock baggies(at least the 1st print DG and the 2nd & 3rd prints of PotVQ were) and not shrinkwrapped. So it all depends on several factors. :)

Is there a specific item you were looking for info on, or are just asking generally?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 am 

It was just a general question. As I go through my stack of old TSR and Judges Guild stuff I noticed that everything was in ziplock bags.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:48 am 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:It was just a general question. As I go through my stack of old TSR and Judges Guild stuff I noticed that everything was in ziplock bags.

Well Judges Guild products shouldn't be, its all been shrink wrap, mailer envelopes or mail covers.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 am 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:It was just a general question. As I go through my stack of old TSR and Judges Guild stuff I noticed that everything was in ziplock bags.

All that stuff was originally shrinkwrapped, probably. Looks like someone removed it and put itin ziplock before they sold it to you.  Did you buy most of it from a mom and pop type hobby store rather than a large chain?  Offhand, I can't think of a single item I bought back in the 70s that was in a ziplock type bad except for maybe Tegel Manor and the City State items. Unless it's a super rare like one of the items mentioned, it shouldhave been in shrink.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 am 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:Is shrinkwrap being used as a generic term as in "still in it's original packaging" or was everything really shrinkwraped and I am just not remembering.

I only saw TSR products, and the modules were shrinkwrapped.  Beyond that, some non-RPG games (with maps and counters) from Steve Jackson Games came in small plastic bags.

At least you had bags to protect your modules in for 20 years.  

The original shrinkwrap from the 70s and 80s should be brittle and splitting by now.  Beware of games that have been re-shrinked.  In the 90s I remember seeing video- and computer-game store employees reshrinking items, so it ain't difficult, unfortunately.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:32 pm 

I got a shrinkwrapped copy of Shipwrecker, from Role Aids, just yesterday.

It is no longer shrinkwrapped.  Good module.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:I only saw TSR products, and the modules were shrinkwrapped.  Beyond that, some non-RPG games (with maps and counters) from Steve Jackson Games came in small plastic bags.

At least you had bags to protect your modules in for 20 years.  

The original shrinkwrap from the 70s and 80s should be brittle and splitting by now.  Beware of games that have been re-shrinked.  In the 90s I remember seeing video- and computer-game store employees reshrinking items, so it ain't difficult, unfortunately.

I bought a ton of modules from a former TSR employee years ago.  They've been in a box, and the shrinkwrap on them is in pretty good shape still.  Its all original shrinkwrap.  Some small splits but that was how I got them ten or so years ago.  Or longer.