Free Excel file for Collectors
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:42 am 

Hello All,

I had mentioned about having an Excel file in the "Keeping track of one's collection" thread and how to create one from the Acaeum list of TSR products. Well, I know that this took awhile, due to my RL delays and some problems with AT&T :x not allowing me to send files to FoulFoot, but at long last here is simple Excel file with several tabs. There is a MASTER sheet with all items, plus separate tabs for Accessories, Books & Sets, Modules, and Rares. The only columns are Codes & Titles, but this is enough to get started keeping track of inventory, but may not be robust enough for active traders. It works well for collectors though, as you can sort by code or title and you can even find an item by using Ctrl-F and typing the code or title or whatever you want to search for. The columns to the right are up to you to use (Prices, Conditions, Quantity for horders :P , etc.)

http://www.acaeum.com/images/tsrlist.xls

I truly hope this helps some people and if I create a more robust version, I will see if Foul would be kind enough to update it :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 pm 

That looks like a handy tool. Thanks for posting it.  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:26 pm 

Thanks, PM. Way to keep the collecting bug under control  :wink:

Looks good, by the way, thanks for posting. I am actually going to use it (at some point), with maybe the addition of a tab that includes print runs of certain modules. Oh and maybe a tab for PPP etc etc etc.

Cheers!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:01 am 

nice, it is similar to the list i use... i added some more info x item though: printing, year, conditions (outside, inside, in case box... and overall evaluation), a notes field, and let me say, much more important, the TSR code!

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:47 pm 

good job

Gary H. Kramer

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 pm 

Thanks for doing this and sharing.  It should come in handy.

Keith

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:29 pm 

Hey Keith,

Glad that you liked it and I hope that others enjoy using it as well. It is nice to know that my work putting it together is being used to help others. In fact, I have recently put another one together for the Goodman Games modules, but I'm not sure if people really need one for those, as there are only about 45 entries, so far  :wink:

Thanks Again,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:38 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:Hey Keith,

Glad that you liked it and I hope that others enjoy using it as well. It is nice to know that my work putting it together is being used to help others. In fact, I have recently put another one together for the Goodman Games modules, but I'm not sure if people really need one for those, as there are only about 45 entries, so far  :wink:

Thanks Again,

Heck if it has more info then just name and number I'd like to see it...

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:29 pm 

Just replying to this post to remind people that this tool is here for them if they want it, especially if they make some additional purchases at GenCon :wink:

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:12 am 

Thanks Paul,

That's a very labor intensive project you did.  I made a similar spreadsheet, though with not near the detail, and it took a long time.

I've been meaning to add the different print versions on mine so now I won't have too :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:53 pm 

No problem Gary :) and I'm glad that it might be helpful for you. I wish that I had time to create more for people. My next "intended" :roll:  project is to create a complete listing of all Monstrous Compendium creatures. I know that most people here are not fond of those loose-leaf items, but I find them a great tool as I would just take the pages out that I need for the current adventure . . . just a nice reference to have.

The other project that I would like to do is create a listing of all modules that were printed in Dragon or Polyhedron magazines. I should be able to get that done fairly easily, as there are lists out there, so I would just have to copy & paste and then clean them up and sort them.

Does anyone out there have any preferences for reference material like this or are there suggestions for categories that I have not thought of :?:

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:16 am 

PM-Knight wrote:No problem Gary :) and I'm glad that it might be helpful for you. I wish that I had time to create more for people. My next "intended" :roll:  project is to create a complete listing of all Monstrous Compendium creatures.

Hi PM-Knight. I've been a long-time reader of the Acaeum forums, but this post prompted me to finally register. For some time (years!) I've been compiling a thorough index of all D&D creatures, including all those from the Monstrous Compendiums. You can find it here and it shouldn't be too much work to extract just the MC critters from the spreadsheet.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:45 pm 

Congratulations Echohawk, that's a fine piece of work

thanks

Gary H. Kramer

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:00 am 

Thanks  :D

Actually, since I'm now posting here, there are a few of the more collectible early D&D products that I don't have, and therefore haven't checked for monsters to index.

Are are of the Acaeum's residents able to tell me if any of the following products contain any new creatures:
  • Dwarven Glory
  • Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
  • Palace of the Vampire Queen
  • "Dwarven" Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts (R7)
  • Yog's Dessert (R8)
  • Tinker's Canyon (R9)
  • Air Plane! (R10)
  • Black Opal Eye (RPGA2)

Also, if anyone is able to tell me which pages of Up the Garden Path (ST1) the IffanbutT, Snap Dragon and Shadow Wolves are on, I'd be very grateful!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 am 

Echohawk wrote:Dwarven Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts {which includes Yog's Dessert, Tinker's Canyon, and
Air Plane!
}

In most of my tournament adventures (including this) I focused on best use of the published system (or minor variants thereof), and thus consciously avoided introducing new monsters or magic items.

-- da awther

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:46 am 

Echohawk wrote:Thanks  :D

Actually, since I'm now posting here, there are a few of the more collectible early D&D products that I don't have, and therefore haven't checked for monsters to index.

Are are of the Acaeum's residents able to tell me if any of the following products contain any new creatures:
  • Dwarven Glory
  • Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
  • Palace of the Vampire Queen
  • Black Opal Eye (RPGA2)

Also, if anyone is able to tell me which pages of Up the Garden Path (ST1) the IffanbutT, Snap Dragon and Shadow Wolves are on, I'd be very grateful!

And building off of Frank's post,  any new monsters that would have been included in Tsojconth also would have been included in the later reprinting S4-Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and similarly Black Opal Eye was combined together with RPGA1 to simply be reprinted as B7-Rahasia, so any new monsters would have also been included in that reprinting.  Finishing out the list, neither PotVQ nor DG have any new monsters included. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:51 am 

Awesome, thanks very much for the help. That brings me very slightly closer to being able to declare the monster index complete. (Aside: By my count, across all editions of the game -- and including some semi-official sources like White Dwarf -- there have been 8670 different monsters published.)

Some follow up questions: S4 has a whole booklet full of monsters and magical items, but it was also significantly expanded from the original Tsojconth, so I'm not convinced that the monsters in S4 were also necessarily in Tsojconth. Heck, there are eighteen pages of new critters in S4 which is more than the total page count for Tsojconth ;). I'm guessing that those creatures were added as part of the expansion, but I'd like to be sure.

RPGA1 contained three creatures (Bone Golem, Haunt and Water Weird), while B7 contains those three, plus the Three Witch-Sisters (Karelena, Solorena, Trilena). Is it therefore safe for me to assume that the trio of witches first appeared in RPGA2? If so, what pages do their stats appear on?

Oooh, oooh... and while I have the attention of the experts, were there any creature stats included on the cards that came with the D&D candy? And does anyone have either Quest for the Dungeonmaster (1984) or the Dragon Quest Game (1992)? I think those are the only remaining D&D products that I haven't had an opportunity to check for monsters.

(And of course, I'd still love to know the page numbers for the three critters in ST1.... ;))

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:19 pm 

Howdy Echohawk,

I would appreciate if you would email me a copy of the Monster Index to [email protected]

Also, The Lost Caverns of Tsojconth at least one new creature in it: Chinese Hill Giants. I'll have to go through my copy to find if there are any others.

Thanks again for the great index!

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:48 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:I would appreciate if you would email me a copy of the Monster Index to [email protected]

Copy sent. It is quite a large file (about 2Mb), so let me know if you have any trouble receiving it and I'll make another plan.