Media Mail Subject to Inspection Post Office
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:38 pm 

Whenever I ship things through the US Post Office , its usually books so I just roll my eyes and reply its books when they ask me what Im shipping when I tell them its media mail and as they stamp in red letters on my package " MEDIA MAIL SUBJECT TO INSPECTION" I never gave it a second thought that some postal employee might actually open up and inspect my packages until...

Yesterday I recieved a package of a book I bought off ebay from a seller that was shipped media mail, and I opened it up and my book was there along with a Dvd that I had bought from another seller. The time difference was 3 weeks apart and the sellers are from different parts of the country:(one from New York and the other from California) so...

Apparently the post office opened up 2 of my packages to inspect and then just put the dvd in with the book and resealed it. There are no extra markings are notification from the PO that this had occured, but apparently this is what happened. I am curious if anyone else had  had anything like this happen before to them with media mail inspections. This is the first time for me and apparently it took place on the incoming end of the transaction.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:48 pm 

I can't even fathom how that would happen.  The only thing that I can think of is that if it happened at your local pickup office where they somehow put the two they had for you in one bundle but even that would be a big stretch.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:56 pm 

That is exactly why I will NOT ship by media mail because the USPS believes noone and you packages can be opened AND damaged by careles postal inspectors. That is why I use Priority now...free supplies , no opening of packages and strong packaging potential. I once sent 10 Dragon magazine to ten different customers in re-enforced manila envelopes marked media mail and they questioned me as to what was in them. They opened one, flipped through it and saw what they believed to be adverts and stated that they did not qualify for media rate due to the adverts and opened all of them!

Never Again!

Stupid media mail  :evil:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:14 pm 

Just want to make a CLARIFICATION: These are items that I recieved, not items that I shipped just in case my original post may be confusing. (Luckily the Dvd was PG Rated..lol but im also curious along with many other things, what if the Dvd had been X rated? lol)

Does anyone work in the PO or have some insider information, or authority on this topic of Media Mail Subject To Inspection and how it applies to D&D items, or if you have experienced anything like this please share and or your opinions. I usually have a friendly relationship with my local Post Office employees and the regulars never question me. Kosh, I find that bizarre and insulting that they would do that to you with Dragon Magazines. All replies and opinions on this subject are greatly appreciated. I don't believe I have seen this issue raised before on this forum.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:59 pm 

Media Mail:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail ... iamail.htm

Afrika Corps wrote: I don't believe I have seen this issue raised before on this forum.

Media Mail has been discussed dozens of times here ... in fact, here is a thread you started in which you sing the praises of Media Mail:

viewtopic.php?t=4104&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

(Not to be confused with your timeless classic: "Is your post office ran by incompetant stupid ass baboons ?")

viewtopic.php?t=4627&start=0

Media Mail has been subject to inspection for quite some time. See this thread from 2005:

viewtopic.php?t=1419&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

+++++

Here's a quick practical guide to Media Mail: be prepared for anything.

*It's technically not supposed to contain any advertsing ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*It can be inspected at any time along its route from A-to-B ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*It cannot be used as the lone form of postage for a Carrier Pickup transaction ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*and on and on and on ...

The point being: be prepared to possibly answer a couple of questions, or to have your item opened, or to be asked to upgrade to at least Parcel Post. With Media Mail, you're getting the service you've paid for, if you catch my meaning.

Or, better yet, ship Priority Mail.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:07 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Media Mail:

The point being: be prepared to possibly answer a couple of questions, or to have your item opened, or to be asked to upgrade to at least Parcel Post. With Media Mail, you're getting the service you've paid for, if you catch my meaning.

Or, better yet, ship Priority Mail.

I second that!

Damn media mail  :evil:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:01 am 

I've received many, many items shipped by media mail.  :D    A few have been opened.  However, the post office is supposed to put a note in the box that they have opened it to inspect.

You're situation is completely odd.  Maybe something weird happened to one of the packages and it was severly damaged . . . or something.  :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "