Half-Price Books - What do you think?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:06 pm 

I know it's mainly shameless bragging, but a friend of mine stopped at  two half price books in Cincinnati for me yesterday and he found...

Greyhawk: From the Ashes (complete) - $6.98
Greyhawk: Wars (complete, a few counters punched) - $6.98
H2 - Mines of Bloodstone - $2.98
A1-4 - Scourge of the Slavelords - $4.98 (with map)

an OCE box set...very nice shape (or so he says)...they had it apparently in their "showcase" section for older and rarer books...with a price tag of

$35!

The really funny part is that the boxed sets were sitting on a shelf with lots of old White Wolf (as Half-Price always has) and a bunch of bulk d20 Penumbra products...all marked at $4.98 or higher....

8O

WOOT! I love Half-Price...now I just have to wait until my friend ships them up to me....sigh....

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:41 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:I know it's mainly shameless bragging, but a friend of mine stopped at  two half price books in Cincinnati for me yesterday and he found...

Greyhawk: From the Ashes (complete) - $6.98
Greyhawk: Wars (complete, a few counters punched) - $6.98
H2 - Mines of Bloodstone - $2.98
A1-4 - Scourge of the Slavelords - $4.98 (with map)

an OCE box set...very nice shape (or so he says)...they had it apparently in their "showcase" section for older and rarer books...with a price tag of

$35!

The really funny part is that the boxed sets were sitting on a shelf with lots of old White Wolf (as Half-Price always has) and a bunch of bulk d20 Penumbra products...all marked at $4.98 or higher....

8O

WOOT! I love Half-Price...now I just have to wait until my friend ships them up to me....sigh....

Nice pick-up center :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:42 pm 

yeah cool man - nice haul! should take em to GenCon you will turn round an awesome profit :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:59 pm 

Thanks, guys. I'm not really that good at finding the goodies first on eBay, but I seem to have luck at least once a month through Half-Price.

I'll be ok with my good finds there, unless BClarkie moves to the Cleveland area...(just kidding, Brian!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Thanks, guys. I'm not really that good at finding the goodies first on eBay, but I seem to have luck at least once a month through Half-Price.

I'll be ok with my good finds there, unless BClarkie moves to the Cleveland area...(just kidding, Brian!)

Bah!  I found an OCE at the local HPB, in Near Mint shape, with all the supplements inside (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc)....all in Near Mint shape...for $25.  Still one of the best HPB buys I've ever made! Never figured out why the OCE was $25 while on the same shelf they had common JG items for $15 apiece...!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:45 pm 

And just to balance it out, several years ago (maybe 10-12 years at that) I was in a local HPB, and someone had sold them the ENTIRE run of MERP items, including stuff like Umbar, Grey Mountains, etc.  All in nice shape, for half cover.  And I said "Huh, looks nice, but I already have all that stuff, I'll come back next week and pick up some of the rarer items, since I'm a little low on cash right now......" and then next week..it was all gone.  Yeh, stupid.  Can't believe I didn't at least take Umbar, Ardor, Grey Mountains, some others and have them held for me until the next week...sheesh.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:54 pm 

Actually, the OCE wasn't what I was most pleased with - the prices on the Greyhawk boxed sets and the H2 were the ones that had me smiling.

:D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:59 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Actually, the OCE wasn't what I was most pleased with - the prices on the Greyhawk boxed sets and the H2 were the ones that had me smiling.

Remember, you'll be wanting to send CougNuts an email describing your H2 find.

Poor kitty ... now he's one step further away from "cornering the market." [insert about 19 rolly-eyes here]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm 

Half-Price central Austin has been putting good stuff into the clearance section: NM Fiend Folio $3, Rogue's Gallery $1. It's just been common stuff I already have so I don't mind alerting others. It seems like a reseller/trader could make good use of this however.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 am 

Half Price Books drives me nuts some times.

They have stuff I might want to collect for $1...but priced at $25 because the original price was a laughable $50.

I have considered taping a note to the game shelf at the Tacoma store:

Hey! Have you considered why this section keeps growing and growing without most of it ever selling?  Has it occured to you that most of this stuff is not worth even 10% of the original price...much less 50%?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:08 am 

sauromatian wrote:Half-Price central Austin has been putting good stuff into the clearance section: NM Fiend Folio $3, Rogue's Gallery $1. It's just been common stuff I already have so I don't mind alerting others. It seems like a reseller/trader could make good use of this however.

you shoulf give mike a heavy prod then :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 am 

FormCritic wrote:Half Price Books drives me nuts some times.

They have stuff I might want to collect for $1...but priced at $25 because the original price was a laughable $50.

I have considered taping a note to the game shelf at the Tacoma store:

Hey! Have you considered why this section keeps growing and growing without most of it ever selling?  Has it occured to you that most of this stuff is not worth even 10% of the original price...much less 50%?

The local HPBs are usually pretty good at rotating product to the clearance section once it's been sitting for awhile..then again, the laughable North Arlington HPB has a $50 Rod of Seven Parts box that is about to celebrate a birthday in a month (priced on 10/06)...and I've already pointed out to management that the box is missng the maps, so unlikely to pull in even a quarter of that. Obviously some stores are better than others when it comes to pricing issues.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:15 pm 

Found a Swords and Spells today for $1.98.

:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:48 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Found a Swords and Spells today for $1.98.

OK, who in North Texas is in for a road trip to, errr, Ohio?

Only 1000 miles one-way.  That's about 50 gallons of gas at $3.00 per gallon . . . hmmm . . . and at least 12 hours . . .  :pale:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:53 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Found a Swords and Spells today for $1.98.

:)

WTF!

Are the any of these places in Columbus? I have friends there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:18 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:OK, who in North Texas is in for a road trip to, errr, Ohio?

Only 1000 miles one-way.  That's about 50 gallons of gas at $3.00 per gallon . . . hmmm . . . and at least 12 hours . . .  :pale:

Well, if you're coming up Cleveland way, stop by and have a beer or three, then we'll duel over the rare stuff.  :twisted:

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:Well, if you're coming up Cleveland way, stop by and have a beer or three, then we'll duel over the rare stuff.  :twisted:

Let him have the beer, but don't have yours until after the duel.  Any edge helps. ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 pm 

My big score last week:  

The Conan RPG by Mongoose.

The original price was $50+

It was marked down to $25+

The store guy came by while I was shopping and marked it down to $12+.

For those of you who have not checked out this game....it is D20 3.5 material, but made cooler for the Conan campaign background.  That means that the magic system has been gutted and replaced with the type of magic depicted by Robert E. Howard.

You don't play demi-human races...or half-dragons or whatever.  Instead, there are extensive character creation stats for each nationality on the map of the Hyborean Age.

One clue to how the rules read:  There is an extensive section depicting all of the types of armor and weapons in the Conan world.  All of the weapons are depicted with blood on them.  Even the longbow!  8O

With the inclusion of text by REH and an essay on the Hyborean Age by REH (published elsewhere, but interesting in this context), the entire game book is a solid product.  

The artwork is also pretty Conan-esque (Conan-licious?).

Oh..and I also paid, like, $2 for a near mint copy of DCC #1 Idyls of the Rat King, with the original cover art.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext