Half-Price Books - What do you think?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 pm 

serleran wrote:Goodwill is where I found my now-lost copy of Worlds of Wonder, The Arcanum 2nd Edition, Outdoor Survival, Battlemasters, Lord of the Rings Chess, and a few other items. Then, the store stopped carrying games. Now, my only hope are used book stores, but I don't know where any are, online, and two game stores, one of which overprices everything OoP considering I can find the same stuff elsewhere for about 5%.

I drained all the Rochester and surrounding area comic book & RPG stores of their good overstock about 4 years ago.  Nary a deal to be had when you drive out this way Serl . . .   :P

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:23 pm 

Serleran I hope they didn't ding you too much on the CSIO Mayfair stuff...it's absolutely el stinko....!

The price wasn't as bad as I'd expected, and I did want it for the Gygax foreword. :) I also like the city/castle of Briarwood (I know, I know) on some dark level of my subconscious. ;)

Oh, and BTB... I'll just have to show up at your house! :) Or, are you just trying to keep me away? ;)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:50 pm 

From the 80s, you would flip back and forth and melee with each other using the books.  I grabbed the unicorn and gold drake ones, left the others.

Other than that it is mostly World of Darkness, Exalted, a Dragon Magazine or two and misc. Shadowrun stuff.  The inventory keeps dropping rather than growing.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm 

Half-Price Books in Seattle's University District, Wednesday....

FASA Star Trek Federation Ship Recognition Manual:  $2
FASA Star Trek Romulan Ship Recognition Manual:    $2

Both in excellent condition.

ICE Shadow World:  Sky Giants of the Brass Stair:  $3.48

Excellent condition

CM6 Where Chaos Reigns:  $2.98   Excellent condition

ICE Arms Law, First Edition:   $1
ICE Spell Law, First Edition:   $1
ICE Book I, Of Channeling:   $1
ICE Book III, Of Mentalism:  $1

All in rough condition...obviously used by active gamers.

Not too bad, eh?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Not too bad, eh?

I think that's pretty darn good.  I recently picked up the Spell Law boxed set (that the Book of Channeling and Mentalism are from) and thought they were  an interesting read.  You can't go wrong at those prices though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:04 am 

OK...

I hit Half Price Books in Tukwilla, Washington today on my way home from Sea Tac Airport.

The booty list:

The Adventure Begins Here
(3.0 introductory boxed set...in SW) - $4.98

Then, as I was leaving the store I noticed on the discount rack outside:

Penumbra - Unhallowed Halls - $1

Last Unicorn - Aria RPG Worlds - $1

Pardigm Concepts - Slaves of the Moon, Guide to Lycanthropes - $1

Malhavoc Press - When the Sky Falls - $1

Whit Publications - Scortch (sourcebook for Wizards RPG) - $1

Paradigm Concepts - Codex Arcanis - $1

Wonderworld Press - The World of Synnibarr - $1

OK, OK...I know I overpaid for The World of Synnibarr, but overall not bad, eh?

Anyone in the Tacoma area who wants to collect Freeport, there were four or five different Freeport publications in the Tacoma Half Price Books...all for less than you would pay on Ebay.

Also, anyone looking for Lost Souls (second edition)?  It was at the Tukwilla store.  There is a photocopied letter to Roger Moore (editor of Dragon magazine back in 1993) asking him to explain to readers that Lost Souls had a new publisher.  It was $7.98...and only an owners name inside the cover, otherwise no faults.

Anyone here familiar with the Legend of Yore RPG?

There were also other items I left behind on the $1 rack in Tukwilla, if you live near there.

While I was in Tukwilla, I should have tried to look up the Wonderworld Books owner and see if I could get the author to sign The World of Synnibarr!  The book was only about a 10 minute drive from its publisher.

I noticed that Lost Souls was published by two different companies in Beaverton, Oregon.  I think of the Pacific Northwest as a gaming backwater, but I guess it really isn't....except that a lot of the OD&D stuff did not make it out here in the 1970's.  

(As I have mentioned before, I was astonished to discover Mary and Ben Ezzell, of Dragontree Press, living almost within eyesight of my house.)

So, anyone else?

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:38 am 

FormCritic wrote:OK...

I hit Half Price Books in Tukwilla, Washington today on my way home from Sea Tac Airport.

Mark

Do you work at SeaTac and live in the Seattle area?

Are there enough NW Acaeum members that we can have a meetup, play some D&D on WotC's lawn?

Funny if they kick us out for loitering  :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 am 

FormCritic wrote:Wonderworld Press - The World of Synnibarr - $1

OK, OK...I know I overpaid for The World of Synnibarr, but overall not bad, eh?

I've actually been looking for a copy of Synnibarr.  Except my usually cheap standards become even cheaper when it's involved -- which means that I wouldn't pay the price that Wonderworld is asking on eBay, even if they were willing to ship that one to Canada. :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:06 pm 

I know it's mainly shameless bragging, but a friend of mine stopped at  two half price books in Cincinnati for me yesterday and he found...

Greyhawk: From the Ashes (complete) - $6.98
Greyhawk: Wars (complete, a few counters punched) - $6.98
H2 - Mines of Bloodstone - $2.98
A1-4 - Scourge of the Slavelords - $4.98 (with map)

an OCE box set...very nice shape (or so he says)...they had it apparently in their "showcase" section for older and rarer books...with a price tag of

$35!

The really funny part is that the boxed sets were sitting on a shelf with lots of old White Wolf (as Half-Price always has) and a bunch of bulk d20 Penumbra products...all marked at $4.98 or higher....

8O

WOOT! I love Half-Price...now I just have to wait until my friend ships them up to me....sigh....

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:41 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:I know it's mainly shameless bragging, but a friend of mine stopped at  two half price books in Cincinnati for me yesterday and he found...

Greyhawk: From the Ashes (complete) - $6.98
Greyhawk: Wars (complete, a few counters punched) - $6.98
H2 - Mines of Bloodstone - $2.98
A1-4 - Scourge of the Slavelords - $4.98 (with map)

an OCE box set...very nice shape (or so he says)...they had it apparently in their "showcase" section for older and rarer books...with a price tag of

$35!

The really funny part is that the boxed sets were sitting on a shelf with lots of old White Wolf (as Half-Price always has) and a bunch of bulk d20 Penumbra products...all marked at $4.98 or higher....

8O

WOOT! I love Half-Price...now I just have to wait until my friend ships them up to me....sigh....

Nice pick-up center :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:42 pm 

yeah cool man - nice haul! should take em to GenCon you will turn round an awesome profit :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:59 pm 

Thanks, guys. I'm not really that good at finding the goodies first on eBay, but I seem to have luck at least once a month through Half-Price.

I'll be ok with my good finds there, unless BClarkie moves to the Cleveland area...(just kidding, Brian!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Thanks, guys. I'm not really that good at finding the goodies first on eBay, but I seem to have luck at least once a month through Half-Price.

I'll be ok with my good finds there, unless BClarkie moves to the Cleveland area...(just kidding, Brian!)

Bah!  I found an OCE at the local HPB, in Near Mint shape, with all the supplements inside (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, etc)....all in Near Mint shape...for $25.  Still one of the best HPB buys I've ever made! Never figured out why the OCE was $25 while on the same shelf they had common JG items for $15 apiece...!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:45 pm 

And just to balance it out, several years ago (maybe 10-12 years at that) I was in a local HPB, and someone had sold them the ENTIRE run of MERP items, including stuff like Umbar, Grey Mountains, etc.  All in nice shape, for half cover.  And I said "Huh, looks nice, but I already have all that stuff, I'll come back next week and pick up some of the rarer items, since I'm a little low on cash right now......" and then next week..it was all gone.  Yeh, stupid.  Can't believe I didn't at least take Umbar, Ardor, Grey Mountains, some others and have them held for me until the next week...sheesh.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:54 pm 

Actually, the OCE wasn't what I was most pleased with - the prices on the Greyhawk boxed sets and the H2 were the ones that had me smiling.

:D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:59 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Actually, the OCE wasn't what I was most pleased with - the prices on the Greyhawk boxed sets and the H2 were the ones that had me smiling.

Remember, you'll be wanting to send CougNuts an email describing your H2 find.

Poor kitty ... now he's one step further away from "cornering the market." [insert about 19 rolly-eyes here]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm 

Half-Price central Austin has been putting good stuff into the clearance section: NM Fiend Folio $3, Rogue's Gallery $1. It's just been common stuff I already have so I don't mind alerting others. It seems like a reseller/trader could make good use of this however.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:49 am 

Half Price Books drives me nuts some times.

They have stuff I might want to collect for $1...but priced at $25 because the original price was a laughable $50.

I have considered taping a note to the game shelf at the Tacoma store:

Hey! Have you considered why this section keeps growing and growing without most of it ever selling?  Has it occured to you that most of this stuff is not worth even 10% of the original price...much less 50%?

PreviousNext