Status on bbarsh ?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:42 am 

He's still a part of the valuation board so perhaps he's too busy jotting all those stats down...  :wink:

Seriously, can't someone who bid with him (and lives in the US) just give him a call from his eBay profile?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:25 am 

beasterbrook wrote:
Any news? no longer a reg user??

Brette:)

Wow, it doesn't look good.  Nothing shipping since early May, then it appears he was shut down (or shut himself down).  Hopefully he'll turn up sometime.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:18 pm 

Just noticed this today:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Notice the seller ID and location?  Seems bbarsh is still around.  But he hasnt posted here since May.  Anyone that didnt receive their items ever get any response from him as to what the hell happened?  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:49 pm 

Well, Harper Woods and Milford are two different places, so it looks like there might have been a move involved. Of course, even a complicated, expensive move would do little to explain a complete eBay meltdown, but I thought I'd throw it out there ...

Beyond that, I have no idea. Well, one idea: completely dropping out of the D&D collecting hobby and losing all interest in it. But that's just speculation.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:46 am 

So he apparently porked a bunch of people and set up shop under another ID? What the fuck is he, keepontheborderlands cousin?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:39 pm 

Maybe he screwed up for a number of combined reasons and is now trying to recover.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:30 am 

No, recovery would include making right with previous buyers.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:32 am 

Bclarkie needs to get on this one. If it indeed turns out to be him, he should unquestionably be booted off the valuation board. We neither need nor want cheaters dictating prices.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:43 pm 

My point was only that we don't really know the circumstances.  

I can picture myself having screwed up...or made some financial mistake...and wanting to pay back people but needing money to do it first.

It just strikes me that more time is warranted.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:12 pm 

This may be the case but its a little bit strange that the first order of business would be to set up a new Ebay account and start selling again rather than contacting the people he put out to let them know he is going to do something for them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:01 pm 

I was one of the individuals who did not receive a module purchased on Ebay from Bbarsh. Since he was an Acaeum member (and a Valuation Board member as well),  I was very patient and attempted to contact him several times via email when the item did not arrive after a reasonable period.  Having received no responses from him and with time running out, my only recourse was to file a Paypal claim.  Fortunately, Paypal returned my money within the week and so no harm was done.

None of us seem to be aware of the exact circumstances which led to his Ebay implosion, and I am willing to accept that he perhaps had some real life event leading to this situation.  However, if he is to remain a Valuation Board member, I would expect at the very least an apology to those who did not receive their purchases.  I for one view board membership as a sign of an experienced and knowledgeable D&D collector, and when that individual sells on Ebay an implicit 'Acaeum Certified' seller status is accorded to their auctions.  

Whether he continues to sell on Ebay or not is his business;  I received my money back and he owes me nothing finacially.  If he is trying to recover from whatever occurred, then I wish him the best.  However, to maintain his membership on an Acaeum board, he should at least provide an explanation or at a minimum an apology.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:39 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:I for one view board membership as a sign of an experienced and knowledgeable D&D collector, and when that individual sells on Ebay an implicit 'Acaeum Certified' seller status is accorded to their auctions.

However, to maintain his membership on an Acaeum board, he should at least provide an explanation or at a minimum an apology.

While I'd love to believe that (as an ex-member, it's flattering to think that I am/was experienced or knowledgeable), the truth of the matter is the Valuation Board is nothing more than a bunch of guys Foulfoot asked to do volunteer work.  It's not an exclusive club with a secret handshake.  There's no wild parties.*

As for removing his "Valuation Board" status -- we haven't heard a peep from the VB in quite some time, so it's kinda redundant at this point.

* That's why I made the chat, actually.  We tend to drink a lot, as you know.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:10 pm 

Yeah, good point there. I don't even look at the valuations anyways. Even so, booting is necessary without an explanation.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:15 pm 

FWIW, I am not 100%, but if I was betting despite the similar name and location, I suspect that this is not the same person.  :)   For one the bbarsh1986 ID was created way back in 2005, not within the last few months and also the fact that the auction listings are actually very different fron bbarsh's typical ones.  Now that of course could be intentional, but it certainly not helping say for sure its the same person.  Of course I am just specualting here and I haven't seen enough to be sure one way or another. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 am 

Doesn't anyone live near him or have his personal contact details - phone etc?

For him to just disappear seems to have been totally out of character, and i'm still hoping it's nothing extremely serious healthwise.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:For him to just disappear seems to have been totally out of character, and i'm still hoping it's nothing extremely serious healthwise.

Totally agree.

I have been trying to contact him for several months as I sent money for some Conan mags he posted on the classifieds here. The last email I sent asked for a refund. Still haven't heard anything.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:09 pm 

Has anyone tried to use his eBay information to make a phone call?  A look in the white pages or Google search may turn up information as well.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:50 pm 

Well, like smarmy1, I ended up getting a refund through PayPal for the item I purchased, so as far as I'm concerned, the issue is closed.

But beyond that, whether this "bbarsh1986" is or isn't "bbarsh" seems secondary to the fact that, as of now, he obviously can't or doesn't want to contact anyone to finish up old business. That in itself suggests that trying to phone the guy just to see what's up would be inappropriate.

However, if he owes you money or items, then calling him directly might be the only way to get what's owed you and I don't see anything wrong with that.

PreviousNext