Pool full of gold coins ...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:48 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
Dude, you really should get a real life...... :roll:  :roll:

Excuse me? I am hoping that this is in jest.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:02 pm 

Aneoth, here's an idea: why don't you take this whole thing really, really seriously?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 pm 

8O

Thought this was something for fun.

As for the answer, I got this off a site that has this as a challenge (but it hasn't been answered yet - so when I know, you'll all know)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:34 pm 

Plaag wrote:8O

Thought this was something for fun.

As for the answer, I got this off a site that has this as a challenge (but it hasn't been answered yet - so when I know, you'll all know)

ShaneG.
(stress mine)

Nice - lets hope the original asker of the question doesn't die of old age (or young youth!) and we find out the answer soon, otherwise Acaeum blood will be spilt - which seems a bit silly really.

What travels on four legs in the morning, on two ........bollocks to it, everyone knows that one already

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 am 

Plaag wrote:As for the answer, I got this off a site that has this as a challenge (but it hasn't been answered yet - so when I know, you'll all know)

Oh, you are a right bastard, then!   :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:37 am 

Plaag wrote:As for the answer, I got this off a site that has this as a challenge (but it hasn't been answered yet - so when I know, you'll all know)

ShaneG.

You, sir, are the epitome of Neutral Evil.

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:51 am 

khartsfield wrote:
You, sir, are the epitome of Neutral Evil.

:twisted: Yes, yes I am :P

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 am 

Something tells me we are all going to be disappointed by the answer.

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:45 am 

While we wait..one more challenge that I read once back in the day..and know the answer to :) (altered for fantasy flair)

City of Contradiction
You and your party has arrived in the underground city of Contradiction divided by the river of Neutrality. Consulting the bard of your group you learn that the residents on one side of the city are honest, truthful folk, while those on the other side are conniving, habitual liars. However all throughout the day (and night) the residents can often times mingle on both sides of the river. You need to find an inn to rest on the side most beneficial to your party (be it evil or good) before tackling your way back above ground. The River of Neutrality nullifies any detection magics (besides your spell casters have also used all of their spells just getting down here.) How do you determine which side of the city your party needs to find shelter?

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:58 am 

Plaag wrote:While we wait..one more challenge that I read once back in the day..and know the answer to :) (altered for fantasy flair)

City of Contradiction
How do you determine which side of the city your party needs to find shelter?

ShaneG.

Kill everyone in whichever town is of opposite alighnment to the party.  The skulkers on the other side can just stay there and keep quiet.  :)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:10 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Kill everyone in whichever town is of opposite alighnment to the party.  The skulkers on the other side can just stay there and keep quiet.  :)

Now what sort of half-assed solution is that?  Just kill them all and let their respective gods sort them out. :)

I know the actual answer, but I'll keep quiet for those who don't.

Last edited by g026r on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:11 am 

lol

what a world, what a world.........

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 am 

A better solution...

Walk into the nicest inn.  Declare your alighnment and your intention to kill anyone who has a problem with it.

If no one attacks you, you have chosen correctly.

If someone attacks you, kill everyone on that side of the river.

Repeat as necessary.   :D

Of course...this is coming from a player and DM who has never seen a party actually complete the Village of Hommlet adventure.  The townspeople have all the good treasure and robbing them is more convenient.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:07 pm 

Ask someone a yes/no answer to something you know is true, that they should know the answer to as well. If they answer yes, then you have an honest person, and go from there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:43 pm 

Plaag wrote:While we wait..one more challenge that I read once back in the day..and know the answer to :) (altered for fantasy flair)

City of Contradiction
How do you determine which side of the city your party needs to find shelter?

ShaneG.

I believe that I actually know this one, thanks to an old Doctor Who (Tom Baker) episode. Since the townspeople intermix, you would have to go to one side and ask someone, "If we were to ask the majority of people on the other side of the river, which inn is the best inn for us to stay in, which inn would they pick?". Next, you would go to the other side and ask the same question. It might be best to ask up to three people on each side, just to make sure you have consistent data.

Anyhow, the result is that if you are on the lying side, they will lie and say that the good side would say to stay at the EVIL INN. If you are on the honest side, they will be honest and say that the lying side would say to stay at the EVIL INN. This way you stay at the inn or side of the city that is NOT chosen :wink:

Hopefully I got that right, as it's been a long week and I'm too tired to think clearly enough to get these things right, so I hope my recollection of Dr. Who helped me  :)  as the intermixing of people threw me at first.

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:52 am 

You ask any townsperson, "If I ask you if this is the good side, will you say yes?". If it is good, truthtellers will say yes, liars will say yes. If it is the bad side, both will say no.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:28 am 

I first saw this in the Jim Henson film: Labyrinth, the girl has only one question to ask to one of two door-knockers guarding 2 passageways.

One door-knocker always speaks true, the other always lies.  By asking which path the other would say was safe to take, you will get given the same answer, i.e. the wrong door.  So take the other one.  

I don't remember life getting any easier though for taking the correct door!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:36 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:You ask any townsperson, "If I ask you if this is the good side, will you say yes?". If it is good, truthtellers will say yes, liars will say yes. If it is the bad side, both will say no.

Hey DL39,

That's a shorter solution and seems as though it would work 8) , but I would sleep better at whichever Inn after asking the same question just a few more times :wink:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

PreviousNext