Pool full of gold coins ...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Okay, I have been thinking about this and I have a question.  Is the "trap" triggered by steps or is it triggered by the distance travelled? Depending on your answer I may have the solution, but perhaps not.

Distance traveled.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:25 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Distance traveled.

ShaneG.

This is a trick question isn't it? :)  If it is I think that I know the answer.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:46 pm 

How about you clone yourself before entering the hallway and then one of you walk down one hallway and the other down the other.  That way, your average age remains the same :)

Or how about you pull a Lionel Richie and do some dancing on the ceiling?  I guess the original text doesn't specify on what part you walk on just if you go down the hallway.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 pm 

One final stab at the is one.  You bring a stick and a mirror with you that's all you need to get out of anything.  You look in the mirror and see what you saw, take the saw and cut the stick in half.  Two halves make a hole and you crawl out.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:28 pm 

I can't stop thinking about this, but can't come up with the solution, either.

Since it's "distance travelled" that matters, how 'bout this:

One person carries the other half way.  Then they switch, and the other carries the first one the rest of the way.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:45 pm 

If "distance traveled" doesn't apply to carried persons (I assumed it did), then one carries the other halfway, they switch, go out the second door with one carrying the other, go halfway, then switch and come back.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:24 am 

Plaag wrote:impenetrable walls

.... except for that secret door half way down  :wink:

bclarkie wrote:   This is a trick question isn't it?  If it is I think that I know the answer.

spit it out then   PDT_Armataz_01_32  (takes opportunity to try out new smilies) PDT_Armataz_01_37

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am 

Does the aging effect have the same outcome on everyone equally? In other words, if a 1500 year old elf and a 16 year old kid both walk down the reverse aging hall at the same time, will they both be dying infants at the end, or will the 16 year old be one, while the elf is now a kid? :dwarf:

edited for smilie

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:04 am 

PM-Knight wrote:
Hi Shane,
I have a "possible" solution, based on just the ceiling & walls being impenetrable. Each adventurer goes halfway down separate hallways, using string or counting steps, etc. At this point they physically dig under the adjoining wall so they can now switch hallways. The older person will now become younger and the younger person will become older, until they reach their individual doors to the same room, at which point they should be the same age as when they started, minus walking & digging time of course :wink:

If physically carrying someone causes the carried person to age, then this is then PM-Knight's solution is the one I'll go with as well.

This is bugging the crap out of me, but I can't think of anything else.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am 

jonjhargreaves wrote:
spit it out then   PDT_Armataz_01_32  (takes opportunity to try out new smilies) PDT_Armataz_01_37

Alight, I am thinking that this is kind of a word play similar to the old riddle about a forest that 3 miles across and what is the farthest that you can walk into it.  Now everyone at first says that you can walk three miles into it, however in actuallity you can only walk into it 1 1/2 miles, as after 1 1/2 miles you are now on your way out.  So I am thinking that you need one person to help the other person get across the center line of one of the hallways by helping them launch across it in some way or perhaps even simpler, have the two build a crude cart with wheels and have one person push the other one to the end of the hall in the cart. If my thinking is correct, after the center line the person in the cart should start going back to the age that they really are because they are now leaving the hall and should thus be able to open the door on the other end of the hall as they would be near to normal age again when they reach it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 pm 

Howdy,

Plaag wrote:Challenge:
You and a fellow adventurer have come upon a room with two identical hallways side by side (impenetrable walls and ceiling) each with a door at the end. One hallway makes you younger, one makes you older. Both doors would if you get past lead to the same room. Both hallways are triggered by distance traveled, so by the time you reach the end of one you are either a dying elder or a dying baby. Heading back out of a hallway returns you to your normal age.

How do you make it past either of the doors?

You walk through each door a pace or two from the room you are in, turn around and walk back to the room where you started. The doors both lead into the room you are already in at the start. There is no need to walk all the way down each hallway because there is nothing at the other end.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:58 pm 

The door would be at the beginning if it was in the entrance room.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 am 

Many of you keep harping about being carried, or riding in a cart, or some other wierd way of traveling down the hall, and YET, the statement has been made and repeated at least twice that the magic works against distance traveled........ DOWN either hallway.....  Period.....

It seems to me that your method of travel would have NOTHING to do with the results of your travel.

You could travel on your own two legs, slithering like a snake on your belly, front ways and/or backwards (Or some freaky combination), zigzagging, crawling on your hands and knees, walking on the roof, walking on the wall, carried in a cart, or on someone's back, even a teleport spell is traveling (Even if it is instantaneous), yet in ALL of the above cases, you ARE STILL TRAVELING............DOWN the HALL.
And if you get back to the room where you started, then you are back to your original age. PERIOD....

The actual distance traveled DOWN the corridor is the key and THAT is what ages you.

The ONLY solution that I have seen that I would try (As a PC) is the ‘go down the old hall, pass the door then go halfway down the young hall and back again to the destination room' solution. I would not try the young hall first, as you would not be able to reach the door as an infant. And BTW; It was clearly stated that you would be dying once you got to the end of either hall, not actually dead......

Of course I could be wrong.  :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:46 am 

Aneoth wrote:The ONLY solution that I have seen that I would try (As a PC) is the ‘go down the old hall, pass the door then go halfway down the young hall and back again to the destination room' solution. He said you would be dying once you got to the end of either hall, not actually dead......

Good solution if this is indeed a play on words ("dying" vice "dead").  The PCs would learn this by trial & error.

My interpretation was that the PCs are dead when they get to the end of a hall, and are therefore physically unable to open the door.  

BTW, what happens to the PC's memory as he goes down the younger hall?  Does he retain his memory?  I would think he would not retain it, since the brain/memory are a function of age.

It would also give the PCs the chance to learn what it's like to be Merlin :)

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 am 

Aneoth wrote:Many of you keep harping about being carried, or riding in a cart, or some other wierd way of traveling down the hall, and YET, the statement has been made and repeated at least twice that the magic works against distance traveled........ DOWN either hallway.....  Period.....

It seems to me that your method of travel would have NOTHING to do with the results of your travel.

You could travel on your own two legs, slithering like a snake on your belly, front ways and/or backwards (Or some freaky combination), zigzagging, crawling on your hands and knees, walking on the roof, walking on the wall, carried in a cart, or on someone's back, even a teleport spell is traveling (Even if it is instantaneous), yet in ALL of the above cases, you ARE STILL TRAVELING.............
And if you get back to the room where you started, then you are back to your original age. PERIOD....

The actual distance traveled DOWN the corridor is the key and THAT is what ages you.

The ONLY solution that I have seen that I would try (As a PC) is the ‘go down the old hall, pass the door then go halfway down the young hall and back again to the destination room' solution. I would not try the young hall first, as you would not be able to reach the door as an infant. And BTW; It was clearly stated that you would be dying once you got to the end of either hall, not actually dead......

Of course I could be wrong.  :roll:

I made mention of a cart because of the fact that the cart would keep rolling regardless of your own condition.  When you reach the halfway point you are now revrting back to the age that you were before you reached the end of the hall.  Thats why I think its a trick question and the halfway point of the hall is the trick.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:02 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I made mention of a cart because of the fact that the cart would keep rolling regardless of your own condition.  When you reach the halfway point you are now revrting back to the age that you were before you reached the end of the hall.  Thats why I think its a trick question and the halfway point of the hall is the trick.

I do not get your logic.

Whether you are in a cart, or walking, you are still going down the same hall. And you age continuously with each step, or wheel roll taken if you continue down that same hall in the same direction. (or you continue to get younger if going down that hall).

Getting to the halfway point and continuing does not make you revert from what I have read. You simply continue to age, or get younger. Again depending on which hall you are in.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 pm 

Well we are all dying as we speak so...

Hmm, no, I don't have a gambling problem, I'm winning, and winning is not a problem. That's like saying Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't y'all pour some sugar on that?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:18 pm 

Okay - I swear this would work  :D  (even if it isn't the correct solution).

Both adventurers walk down the "youth" corridor until they are children/babies (just short of "dying").  One adventurer stays in the corridor until he grows up to an adult.   The other adventurer makes trip back and forth to bring supplies and keep the child alive.

Eventually the "baby" is now an adult and standing just before the door.  He opens it and enters.

Sure, it's a 20 year committment and oppressively dull and boring existence . . . but it should work . . .  right?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

PreviousNext