Pool full of gold coins ...
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:11 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Giving it a little bit more thought . . .  I suspect that the solution is simple, but not readily apparent (which is what riddles are all about in the first place).  So, my suggestion is to take a gold bowl, put some items in it and "dip" it into the water.  The items in the gold bowl turn into gold coins, the bowl is lifted out and there ya' go!  You could even use a bare hand and make sure to keep one edge above the water.

Keep repeating as needed.   8)

The trick (and the trap) is to not attempt to get the coins at the bottom and it is likely nothing would work - the pool is too deep, resistant to magic, etc.

I suspect that this and/or vaporizing the water was probably the solution.  

And I also think you're right that the coins at the bottom were meant as a distraction in order to keep us from looking for a simpler solution.

It would be fun to have a running thread of mind-teasing puzzles/tricks like this, wouldn't it?

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:55 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:
It would be fun to have a running thread of mind-teasing puzzles/tricks like this, wouldn't it?

Keith

Well Frank (Deadlord39) has his NPC's thread :)
Would be cool to read the ideas people come up with.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:24 am 

Plaag wrote:
Well Frank (Deadlord39) has his NPC's thread :)
Would be cool to read the ideas people come up with.

ShaneG.

I haven't explored Frank's thread.  I'll check that out.
THanks

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:26 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I haven't explored Frank's thread.  I'll check that out.
THanks

Well actually its monsters of a certain style..not NPCs

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:29 am 

I seem to be a forum-challenged individual

Where is Deadlord's thread?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:04 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:It would be fun to have a running thread of mind-teasing puzzles/tricks like this, wouldn't it?

Tricks and puzzles are one of my favorite areas of the game, and one that has, in general, been sorely ignored over the many years.  Traps and riddles get all of the attention, but good tricks are among the best encounters, IMO (like Dan's pool---brilliant!).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:47 pm 

grodog wrote:
Tricks and puzzles are one of my favorite areas of the game, and one that has, in general, been sorely ignored over the many years.  Traps and riddles get all of the attention, but good tricks are among the best encounters, IMO (like Dan's pool---brilliant!).

Another one this same DM threw at us was the famous magic square from mathematics that had been engraved into this door.  

We knew opening the door had something to do with a "number" we'd found earlier in the dungeon, but we had to figure out that that number was the magic constant of the matrix.

That probably seems simplistic now, but keep in mind that we were kids, in the summer before high school.  It wasn't exactly obvious to us at the time.

We did solve it though.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:05 pm 

Great trick!!! I would agree the coins at the bottom are only a distraction, and that the 'gold bucket full of junk' is the key. Excellent!

Thanks for posting.
Brute

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:10 pm 

brute wrote:Great trick!!! I would agree the coins at the bottom are only a distraction, and that the 'gold bucket full of junk' is the key. Excellent!

Thanks for posting.
Brute

You're welcome.  I don't know why I didn't think of posting this a year or so back.

If I have the time, I'll dig up some of my old home-grown tricks and see what kind of solutions the folks here come up with.

I guess this isn't collecting per se, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

Keith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:25 am 

I like this topic.. brings back memories of a particular adventure conducted by one of my old fiendish highly intelligent DM's ..out of a party of seven 8th level characters only one made it out of this particular death dungeon alive.. the dungeon was full of mind traps and tricks and everyone who died was because of their own mistakes..

1 character (a thief) was foolishly hacked to death by our own party trying to free him from a killer mimic in the form of a giant enveloping door. Another elven mage had his legs amputated by a gulitine trap and had to be carried on the back of the half orc fighter who hated his guts, they were both devoured by a roper monster in the ceiling of a cavern when they failed to recongnize and comprehend the warning written out on the wall.." Look before you leap" they used the hanging vines from the ceiling to try and swing across a huge underground chasm. Unfoutanetly those vines were the limbs from an ancient Roper concealed in the dark ceiling. The halfling bard in the party managed to cut free and had a ring of feather falling to glide down the 400 foot drop below safely. The halfling was relieved when he saw the outline of a dimly lit fortified city in the distance and heard the sounds of flute music coming from civilization in the huge underground cavern.. rescue at last he thought as he rushed to the city gates where he was joyously welcomed in to be the main course at the kolbolds King's banquet in the kolbold stronghold undergound city of K'irbadtz. Every part of him was devoured, savoured and enjoyed by the Kings guests as they sucked the very last marrow fom his bones. Our paladin and berserker barbarian fighter who had decided to break away from the party and fight their way out to try and find an exit were unmercifully hunted down in a labryinth of traps by a sadistic and bloodthirsty group of minotaurs and orcs. After witnessing the brutal vivesection , torture and decapitation of his brave comrade, the paladin with only 2 hit points left and enemies closing in on all sides said a prayer to his pious deity and took his own life.

Fortunately for me the only surviving member of the party( a cleric who had exausted all his spells and had my armour destroyed by a encounter with a monstrous gelatinous cube and down to my last six hitpoints, being hunted by a warparty of minotaurs and orc sniper archers who found their mark several times by the half dozen arrows protruding from my body) I was lucky enough to stumble across a magical teleporter and found myself floating down a river, I quickly had to strip off my armour and dump all treasure but I was above ground... and most importantly, I was alive with a story to tell..

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:09 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:During the first D&D campaign I ever played (a stereotypical dungeon to slay a red dragon in the summer of 78 ), our DM threw a riddle at us that I've always wondered about.

It was a pool/fountain full of gold coins.  The trick was that any object (including hands and other body parts) immersed in the water would "dissolve" and turn into gold coins and float to the bottom.

The pool seemed impervious to magic, and our party of 4 to 5th level PCs (I was the thief  :D ) never solved it.

I've always been curious though, whether this was a product of our DM's imagination, or something he'd taken from a module or perhaps a novel.

never heard smtg similar from an official module... i'd guess your DM took this from a mythology book or smtg like that...

my personal approach would have been: let us freeze the water in the poll, break the ice and grab the stuff... mmmuuuuahahahhh...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:15 am 

Afrika Corps wrote: The halfling was relieved when he saw the outline of a dimly lit fortified city in the distance and heard the sounds of flute music coming from civilization in the huge underground cavern.. rescue at last he thought as he rushed to the city gates where he was joyously welcomed in to be the main course at the kolbolds King's banquet in the kolbold stronghold undergound city of K'irbadtz. Every part of him was devoured, savoured and enjoyed by the Kings guests as they sucked the very last marrow fom his bones.

Mmmm, those halflings are tasty eatin'!!! :D

Our paladin and berserker barbarian fighter who had decided to break away from the party and fight their way out to try and find an exit were unmercifully hunted down in a labryinth of traps by a sadistic and bloodthirsty group of minotaurs and orcs. After witnessing the brutal vivesection , torture and decapitation of his brave comrade, the paladin with only 2 hit points left and enemies closing in on all sides said a prayer to his pious deity and took his own life.

DMs like this always sort of creep me out.....like they spend more time descrbing the way your characters are getting ripped apart than anything else...showing unnatural and unholy glee in the method you die.... 8O

Mike b

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:48 am 

Killer DM's never last long. Too unrealistic, and it gets boring.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Killer DM's never last long. Too unrealistic, and it gets boring.

Agreed.  I've played against killer DMs and endured Monty Haul dungeons, and neither end of the spectrum have generated lasting campaigns in my experience.

The thing that so impressed me by the DM who cooked up the gold coins pool is how balanced his dungeons were, and we were all of about thirteen-years-old or so.

Even though we didn't solve the trick, we weren't punished for not solving it, if you get my drift.  We just moved on to another room with another trick and/or encounter.

Keith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm 

That is the way to do it. Present players with all sorts of situations, and let them decide which ones to tacke and which ones they want to pass on.
In all my campaigns, I've strived for as much realism as possible. Example:

The players once encountered two kobols, one with a 500 GP gem. He got it from the corpse of an ogre who had been simultaneously killed by another ogre in a territory dispute. The players wiped the kobolds, and took the gem.
About a month later, they decided to go through a "shortcut" pass that was said to be a deathtrap. A blue dragon family had a residence there, and was exacting tolls from passersby. They decided to pay the toll (roughly 1/2 their valuables), which included the gem, now incorporated in a gold bracer that one of the fighters had had made. Such is realism. I did not "strip" the players of gold, I don't believe in that. I believe in striving for realistic situations as much as possible. My only caveat is that I almost never put characters in a no-choice situation. The choices may suck, but they always have a choice. Stupidity does tend to negate my philosophy, however.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:51 am 

Deadlord39 wrote: My only caveat is that I almost never put characters in a no-choice situation. The choices may suck, but they always have a choice. Stupidity does tend to negate my philosophy, however.

That is one of the fundamentals that I learned from the DM who ran this campaign I was describing.  From his example, he taught me how to be a much better DM than I would've been on my own.

It also teachs a good lesson: sometimes we are forced with rotten choices in life.  And a good D&D campaign can make you think about how to deal with lose-lose, lose-draw or draw-draw situations.

Keith

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:56 pm 

"It was a pool/fountain full of gold coins.  The trick was that any object (including hands and other body parts) immersed in the water would "dissolve" and turn into gold coins and float to the bottom."

I think a gold bowl would also dissolve and become gold coins. The DM (Assumption here) did not say things would just turn into Gold, but they would FIRST dissolve and THEN turn into gold COINS.

I agree with some thoughts above, heat to boiling or freeze the pool.
If one of your party was a metal worker, then PERHAPS pounding and re-shaping gold coins into a bucket and chain MIGHT work if you could also find some way to seal the bucket from leaks. What would happen if splashing water leaking from the bucket touched a party member? Is it the Water or the Fountain that holds the magic?

Another might be to simply drain the pool in some fashion into a safe area for storage. Not into the water table though.

Imagine all the rocks, fish, river flora, weeds, fishermen, swimmers, ladies washing clothes......  everything that the magical water touched turning into gold coins, or perhaps the fountain holds the magic and once the water is drained out the magic is defeated and the water itself is safe as could be.

We may never know for sure.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:35 pm 

I think that the best and most likely measure of a good DM is consistency and longevity.

If you can consistently count on a game happening...

If you can count on a game going for an extended time...

If you can count on being able to leave the table for real world issues and return to find the game still going on some months later...

Simply staying at it because the DM likes to play...

Those things are key.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext