I want to apologize for something.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:38 pm 

Hey all,

The other day I sort of lost my shit in the thread regarding 4th print Dungeon Masters Guides and I shouldn't have.  I know that it isn't like demios or anyone else is out there serruptitiously buying off good, usable prints of the thing by the pallet-load from Addall, eBay and Amazon and putting them to the torch.

I've seen some copies of the DMG of various print in local used bookshops that I felt would have been better served going in to a land fill than a gamer's hands: books with stiffened, stuck-together pages stained from page 1 to 233 with some mysterious brown substance (spilled soda or coffee, I'd wager), or books with spines and covers so destroyed as to make the books nigh-unusable.

It isn't like the suggestion was posed that all but a few true-1st DMGs be destroyed, or anything near that.  Copies like those I described above really should be out of circulation; trying to use books in that damaged a condition is at the very best frustrating.

So my apologies for being snarky about the matter, and best of luck in the investigation.  Knowing and understanding D&D, especially old, out of print versions, involves not only the rules and the adventures but the history of the company and I understand now that this is what you're striving for.  I'm still not a big fan of "board and hoard" on OOP products but ultimately the longer the game is preserved, the longer it has the potential to be played.

Bill Silvey,

TheDungeonDelver

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:56 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:The other day I sort of lost my shit in the thread regarding 4th print Dungeon Masters Guides and I shouldn't have.

Bill, apology cheerfully accepted!  I've heard far worse, so I hope you weren't losing any sleep over this!  In fact, any publicity is good publicity, I'm sure more looked at their 4th print DMGs because of the extended length of the thread. :D

I'm still not a big fan of "board and hoard" on OOP products

Gawd, me neither.  I have some such items in my collection, only because I received them that way.  (For the most part, my collection resembles what happens when a tornado strikes a library...)

YIM