So do I pick all the winners, or what....?
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:Is this "Overally Cautious Guy"?  You know, he keeps asking you is the case cracked, are the inserts the originals, is the disc a copy or the original, etc?  Or is it just "Newbie Dumbass" who is working on his 3rd ebay transaction and doesn't know squat?  Or is it "Im Really Intelligent" Guy who is asking who played the drums on Track Five, is the CD in ADD, is the live session from the Isle of Wight, etc?

Yeah, no kidding ... I've had all those guys before. I sell a lot of CDs, and I have to say that the last guy you mention is my least-favorite, especially since the Pre-Filled Information feature from eBay should take care of most of those types of questions.

This particular guy, for the record, is a combination of the first two: worried about the inserts and the case, etc., but also kind of a n0ObZoRz. He's also kind of blocked, now, too.  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Make that five questions. He just sent me another one. I swear to God, I'm not making it up.  :)

You know what? It's time to add a name to the Big List Of Blocked Bucketheads. Enough is enough ...

There is a buyer out there(his name is failing me right now), I swear asks me questions just to irritate me.  Almost every single time I list a 1st edition hardcover(and occasionally other items too), he asks me either "What Printing is the book" or if I have it already clearly indicated what print it is, then I get the "What color are the flyleafs".  He never bids on anything I am selling, just asks me one of the two questions and then disappears until my next round of auctions.  I swear he does it just to annoy me.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 pm 

quick dispatch, great item and very good price. Over all very good. Top seller!!

This was recent feedback I got - looks good huh?! But it was a neutral!!!!

Jeez - at least the guy admitted his mistake and agreed to withdraw it - but it's still a withdrawal and many people will see that as a neg I'm afraid.

Heres another neutral

2 dozen counters missing & a thin layer of bubble wrap isn't sufficient packing.

posted just shy of 90 days after the auction ended - I asked the guy why he didn't bring this to my attention earlier and we could have worked something out - his reply is a convoluted pile of shite - I want to message him again but I think it will turn nasty quickly!! (hey-ho - he lives about 6 miles away from where we are taking a camping trip in the Summer - another internet-Conan goes on the list :wink: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:08 am 

bclarkie wrote:There is a buyer out there(his name is failing me right now), I swear asks me questions just to irritate me.

All right, I'll stop. Jeez. Didn't realize it was bugging you ...  :)

Actually, I feel your pain. I'm fairly certain I recently picked up a stalker following a couple of Internet Tough Guy incidents that had nothing to do with either eBay or The Acaeum. So, for laughs, I'm pretty sure this clown is throwing in the occasional bid, asking off-the-wall questions, etc., and getting some of his buddies to do the same thing. I've been blocking a lot of fools lately.   :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:35 am 

gyg wrote:
posted just shy of 90 days after the auction ended - I asked the guy why he didn't bring this to my attention earlier and we could have worked something out - his reply is a convoluted pile of shite - I want to message him again but I think it will turn nasty quickly!! (hey-ho - he lives about 6 miles away from where we are taking a camping trip in the Summer - another internet-Conan goes on the list :wink: )

that certainly sounds like one of them "i just have to go and pay a personal visit" scenarios.

no way i would miss out on that opportunity :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:32 pm 

$20 for shipping?!?!? How many minis did you buy, a thousand?

To the Saran Wrap request, I'd have replied "Sorry, no. I only use Glad brand plastic wrap."

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 pm 

Actually,

What's getting on my nerves are bad sellers.  Besides D&D items, I also collect Magic cards.

As I'm scanning auctions, especially ones for collections, you wouldn't believe the poor listings.  One picture of just a stack of cards, pictures stolen from other listings, no list of any cards, crazy starting amounts, saying you have cards from the early sets (and only showing 1 or 2), stating you don't know anything about these cards but then having a picture of all the good rares and/or winning other Magic card auctions, and way over estimated shipping costs.  Maybe it's just me, but most of these poor auction descriptions are from newer members.  But, as a new member, wouldn't you want to go out of your way to describe your items?  With little feedback to back you up, you should probably over describe your items.

I wonder if these people think we are all just little puddles of ooze devoid of grey matter?  Sigh, ebay is just not the same as it used to be (I've been a member since 1999).  Sorry for the rant, just wanted to say that I feel your pain folks as both a seller and buyer on ebay.

Ben.S.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:05 pm 

bspaul41 wrote:Sigh, ebay is just not the same as it used to be (I've been a member since 1999).

No, it's not. It's not even close, frankly.

And you're right: a lot of Magic listings are just terrible. My personal theory for this is that they are intended as a quick cash-grab by mostly younger players (or ex-players) who don't feel the need to actually put any effort into an eBay listing. I've also seen a misplaced sense of entitlement ("I've got these kewl cardz, bro-brah — now give me some money for them, yo.") in a lot of these listings.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:42 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies,

I think the seller's followup to you after a day was ridiculous. However, two things sprung to mind about your response:

1. You used caps in places, which akin to yelling, rather than simply added emphasis you might get with italics. So seeing his response to your response wasn't exactly surprising... particularly given the temperament characteristic of a seller who would send you that sort of non-bidder alert in the first place.

2. After his non-bidder alert, rather than simply paying the dude, or just saying "Yup, I'll have payment out Wedneday", you intentionally chose to challenge the seller on his business practice or whatever. Again, I can easily see how you'd get a defensive response.

Again, the seller is seemingly paranoid and very impatient (perhaps legitimately so, given his past dealings with non-bidders), but in life you don't have any control over what other people do or say... but you have 100% control over what you say and how you respond to people.

It's really peculiar that he'd hose you on the extra minis as a result of your little argument. But it's nonetheless a good life lesson that one should always take the high-road.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:17 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:1. You used caps in places, which akin to yelling, rather than simply added emphasis you might get with italics.

That's just absurd. Not only are there practically no caps to even speak of, but those that are used are clearly being used for emphasis rather than "yelling."

Also, to state the completely obvious, many mail readers are still terrible at accurately rendering italics, bold, color, and other formatting. Thus, there's only a couple of ways to guarantee that emphasis is communicated, the most obvious method being the use of caps.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Again, the seller is seemingly paranoid and very impatient (perhaps legitimately so, given his past dealings with non-bidders)

No. Just no. It is not "legitimate" to demand payment within a few hours, especially when your payment terms aren't even mentioned in the listing (have you even looked at the listing?).

Also, he has no "past dealings" with non-bidders. If you'd do 15 seconds of research, you'd find that this clown has a grand total of two feedback entries as a seller, both of which are many months old ... oh, and both of which mention how effing slow the guy is at shipping stuff out.

There is nothing that legitimizes the seller's behavior here. Nothing. He's an asshat — end of story.

+++++

Are there really no other forums you could be trolling? I hear Dragonsfoot is nice ... why don't you spend some time over there?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:49 pm 

Perhaps I should have pm'd Center_Stage_Hobbies instead. I apologize.

Nevertheless, I'll indulge your criticism of my opinion!

Whether the guy is an idiot or not is entirely beside the point. It's like when your girlfriend or wife says something nasty to you and you don't think you've done anything wrong. Saying something ugly back because what she did was inappropriate is not the right way to deal with people. All that happens is that people grow apart, become bitter, and animosity builds.

This is no different. In the seller's mind, what he did was appropriate and justified. That's all that matters. To challenge him, using a tone that can easily be misconstrued as impolite and aggressive, is just asking for something bad to happen. My point is simply that, in the future, one is better off taking the high-road in all matters of life.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:29 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I've also seen a misplaced sense of entitlement ("I've got these kewl cardz, bro-brah — now give me some money for them, yo.") in a lot of these listings.

X-

That is a very good summary statement.  It does seem like people just think that a pile of Magic cards must be worth a mint.  Why should they take the time to describe the cards?

Well, what's one to do?  All I know is that thanks to some lurking here at The Acaeum, Cougie has made my blocked list. :wink:

Anyways, enough of the quasi-post hijacking by my ebay rantings.

Ben.S.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:32 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Perhaps I should have pm'd Center_Stage_Hobbies instead. I apologize.

Nevertheless, I'll indulge your criticism of my opinion!

Whether the guy is an idiot or not is entirely beside the point. It's like when your girlfriend or wife says something nasty to you and you don't think you've done anything wrong. Saying something ugly back because what she did was inappropriate is not the right way to deal with people. All that happens is that people grow apart, become bitter, and animosity builds.

This is no different. In the seller's mind, what he did was appropriate and justified. That's all that matters. To challenge him, using a tone that can easily be misconstrued as impolite and aggressive, is just asking for something bad to happen. My point is simply that, in the future, one is better off taking the high-road in all matters of life.

Huh?  First of all I have to sleep with my wife, not the seller or buyer. Second, if you take the high road view with these people you are precieved as weak and they walk all over you. Take cougies tactics as an example. So CSH, you keep on keeping on with the standing up for yourself and leave the meekness to STD.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:40 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their input. Like Sea-to-Sky said, I usually TRY to take the high road when dealing with sellers OR buyers....but this guy just ticked me off, so I can see where my email probably had overtones.

Anyway, I sent him an email apology and paid for the auction today. Just to stir the pot, I was thinking about emailing HIM tomorrow and asking why the figures aren't here yet.

:D
(no, I won't do that)

I will tell you one thing, though...for $20 shipping, if they aren't mailed INSTANTLY and via Priority Mail, he's not getting positive feedback, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how much he pays...but I bet he prints postage without the dollar amount listed

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:05 pm 

Huh?  First of all I have to sleep with my wife, not the seller or buyer.

It was an illustration. One should treat others as you would want to be treated. I don't act belligerent around people because I need to sleep with them; I don't because it avoids conflict and all kinds of other problems.

Second, if you take the high road view with these people you are precieved as weak and they walk all over you. Take cougies tactics as an example. So CSH, you keep on keeping on with the standing up for yourself and leave the meekness to STD.

I've heard the meek shall inherit the Earth...  :wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:07 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
I've heard the meek shall inherit the Earth...  :wink:

Yeah - if they don't get their pansy-arses kicked first! :D  8O

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their input. Like Sea-to-Sky said, I usually TRY to take the high road when dealing with sellers OR buyers....but this guy just ticked me off, so I can see where my email probably had overtones.

Anyway, I sent him an email apology and paid for the auction today. Just to stir the pot, I was thinking about emailing HIM tomorrow and asking why the figures aren't here yet.

Hopefully he gets over it and gives you all the mini's and in good condition.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 pm 

CSH, you can figure out the printed postage easily. Take the weight and calculate it on usps.com.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

PreviousNext