So do I pick all the winners, or what....?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 pm 

So I win a "lot" of Grenadier miniatures on eBay for $66.00. That's great, and I plan to pay via PayPal tomorrow. The item was won yesterday, I got the seller's invoice, and figuring I'd pay on Wednesday, have not yet responded to his invoice - I figured my payment on Wednesday would be the "response."

So I open my inbox today, and I receive a PAYMENT REMINDER from the guy, no less than 24 hours after the auction ends!!! It reads:

"When will you be making payment on the following items? I need to relist these if you can't make payment soon."

A trifle irritated at the perceived demand, I respond with:

"First of all, it has been ONE DAY since your invoice was sent. Second of all, there is no need to be pushy. Payment will be made tomorrow via PayPal. I would appreciate a LITTLE bit of patience on your part...I don't think 48 hours is too much to ask. Also - for $20, I would assume these items are being sent via Priority Mail? Thank you in advance. - Matt"

To which the seller replies:

"The only letter that I see as being pushy is the one you just wrote me. I only wanted to make sure that people who won the items were aware of it and were going to pay soon. If any of the people who won my auctions needed more time to pay the only had to ask and I wouldn't have a problem with it. Perhaps a LITTLE bit of patience on your part is what is most needed. Also it will cost me at least 20.00 to send all of the boxes that I have packed up for you minus the two extra that I should take out since you seem like an ass."

So am I just a big weiner, or was this a little unreasonable? Am I completely clueless, and missing the boat? I respond to the guy with:

"I understand you wanting to make sure. That is great. But #1 - I am not an ass - and #2, when you say "if you don't pay soon I'm going to have to relist this" and not even 24 hours have passed, that is a little ridiculous. I only responded to the email you sent. Regardless, my PayPal payment will be made tomorrow late afternoon. Thanks in advance, Matt"

and then to clarify, I added...

"And to clarify, I'm not being a jerk...it's just most sellers wait before the recommended "10 days" have passed before they start sending reminders out. Most of my customers pay within a few days, but usually not as soon as an auction ends. Sorry for the misunderstanding. - Matt

People on eBay are starting to scare me. Please tell me, everybody, if I'm just the minority here, but I think this dude is out of line. If you all think I was rude, let me know, and I'll tender an apology.  :roll:

Thanks!

"

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:36 pm 

Whoops...should have posted this on the "Non-TSR Items" thread.

Sorry, all  :oops:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:01 pm 

A few notes:

1. The seller is completely out of line. Even in the age of PayPal, there's no requirement that a buyer needs to pay up within a day. That's absurd.

2. There's no way I would pay this guy a dime. Tell him to re-list it. He's obviously going to try to jerk you around on the shipping, too; who needs that sort of hassle? The worst he can do is leave negative feedack.

3. There's no need to hide a seller's ID and/or item numbers when discussing eBay deals here. In fact, it's a lot more helpful if you are as specific as possible. Although this guy sounds like a complete ass, it would still be helpful to see the listing, the guy's feedback, how long he's been on eBay, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 pm 

Thanks, Xaxaxe. The item in question is:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

(and I got it for $46, not $66 as I said in the original post...the $66 is with shipping.)

His user ID for those of you who aren't going to check the auction is "Ryanuberman". I guess I should have known better...his last feedback complains about slow shipping.

Shame on me for being foolish.

:(

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:12 pm 

Honestly, I think he's looking for a quick cash-grab ... maybe for a concert ticket or something. Thus, the need for you to pay "right now!"

I'd run the other way ... the red flags are waving:

1. Poor feedback overall;

2. Only two total feedback as a seller;

3. Terrible photo;

4. Sloppy listing, in general;

5. Extremely poor attitude, as demonstrated in the correspondence above.

Hell with him; it sounds like he needs you more than you need him. Or, at the very least, string him along for the seven days that just about every reasonable eBay seller will give their buyers to pay.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:34 pm 

Also it will cost me at least 20.00 to send all of the boxes that I have packed up for you minus the two extra that I should take out since you seem like an ass."

I would certainly not pay this individual and would definitely report him to Ebay for threatening to withold a portion of the items advertised in the auction.  If he slaps you with negative feedback, you could certainly get it removed considering the circumstances.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:37 pm 

Unless I am mistaken, I think he was saying that he WAS going to put in two "extra" boxes, but should withhold them because of "my" assinine behavior.

:roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 pm 

Man, those look like some nice sets, too.  I wonder what the extras were?

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:44 pm 

People on eBay are starting to scare me.

As it goes this is my current opinion, I seem to be dealing with nothing but prats at the moment. (Exageration maybe, but the numbers are definitely increasing). As a seller I try my best to play fair and offer a good service and as a buyer I pay promptly, but nothing seems to be good enough - it's getting to me so much that I've seriously considered giving up selling entirely :cry:

(and BTW C_S_H - no you have done nothing wrong - I hope the deal works out for you)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:50 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Unless I am mistaken, I think he was saying that he WAS going to put in two "extra" boxes, but should withhold them because of "my" assinine behavior.

:roll:

You are correct, sir! :oops: My apologies.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:05 pm 

gyg wrote:I seem to be dealing with nothing but prats at the moment. (Exageration maybe, but the numbers are definitely increasing).

Same here. I think this sort of thing goes in cycles (purely an unscientific observation, mind you). My last few batches of auctions have brought out some of the real riff-raff, including:

1. Mr. Four Questions in Five Minutes (concerning a freaking compact disc);

2. I Don't Have A Confirmed Address Guy;

3. Really Late Payment Girl;

4. "My Son Accidentally Bid On These" Chap (he'll be getting negative feedback soon, BTW);

5. Guy Who Won The Item, Then Left A Negative Before I Could Send It. 8O

It's been a real run of losers ... I can only hope my "cycle" theory holds up, which would mean I'm due for about 30 normal buyers in a row.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 pm 

Wait a sec, so YOU'RE the coug?!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 pm 

Well, if you like the sets (and assuming there are no further snags in the transaction), Bombadil,  the 2nd Denizens set will be going up in my eBay store. I only bought the lot for 1 of the Denizens boxes and the big Monsters box.

The others will be for sale once I receive them!

Good deals apparently still do exist (fingers crossed); the last time I bid on a Denizens of the Swamp boxed set I lost it for over $40. This time I got the motherlode for a little bit more....

(here's to hoping....)

:wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:20 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:1. Mr. Four Questions in Five Minutes (concerning a freaking compact disc);

Perhaps, it was the rare and much sought after 1st Edition, 12th American pressing of 'David Hasselhoff's Hooked On A Feeling' :wink:   You never know; there's a collector for just about everything. :D

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:06 pm 

Nah, you're in the right. That guy is a prat.
My last three wins have been real losers too. I hope it isn't a trend.
:evil:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:32 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Same here. I think this sort of thing goes in cycles (purely an unscientific observation, mind you). My last few batches of auctions have brought out some of the real riff-raff, including:

1. Mr. Four Questions in Five Minutes (concerning a freaking compact disc);

2. I Don't Have A Confirmed Address Guy;

3. Really Late Payment Girl;

4. "My Son Accidentally Bid On These" Chap (he'll be getting negative feedback soon, BTW);

5. Guy Who Won The Item, Then Left A Negative Before I Could Send It. 8O

It's been a real run of losers ... I can only hope my "cycle" theory holds up, which would mean I'm due for about 30 normal buyers in a row.

I've been doing ok lately (knock on wood) but I've had recently:

1.  Guy Who Asks "Where's my stuff?" three days after the auction (and two of the three days were Sat/Sun;

2.  Guy who wants MORE pictures of an item from different angles (not normally a problem, but it's a FOUR DOLLAR ITEM!!!)

3.  "If I Buy It Now, Can I pay for It in a Month?" question Guy....

4.  Guy Who Asked If I Could Wrap His Module In Saran Wrap (No lie)...

I'm getting depressed, I can't go on......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:38 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:1. Mr. Four Questions in Five Minutes (concerning a freaking compact disc);

Make that five questions. He just sent me another one. I swear to God, I'm not making it up.  :)

You know what? It's time to add a name to the Big List Of Blocked Bucketheads. Enough is enough ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:42 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Make that five questions. He just sent me another one. I swear to God, I'm not making it up.  :)

You know what? It's time to add a name to the Big List Of Blocked Bucketheads. Enough is enough ...

Is this "Overally Cautious Guy"?  You know, he keeps asking you is the case cracked, are the inserts the originals, is the disc a copy or the original, etc?  Or is it just "Newbie Dumbass" who is working on his 3rd ebay transaction and doesn't know squat?  Or is it "Im Really Intelligent" Guy who is asking who played the drums on Track Five, is the CD in ADD, is the live session from the Isle of Wight, etc?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next