Cursed + 2 Scotch Tape, +3 vs Really Nice Items
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:45 pm 

After nearly ruining an excellent copy of Egg Of The Phoenix I recently purchased 8O (the tape on the poly bag caught the back of the module),
I realized the time has come to start buying some archival media.  My requirements are fairly straightforward, I would like to place the D&D items I own, nothing truly rare or unique, in bags that will protect them and will allow me to have relatively convenient access to when I want to browse.  

After reading the FAQ and a couple of threads on the site, there seems to be two main choices: polyethylene and mylar.  I like the fact that some of the polyethylene bags have a resealable flap; however, it sounds like the mylar (polyester) sleeves offer greater protection but I have yet to locate any which have a resealable type flap.  Possibly they do not exist, but if you are aware of any please let me know.  Since it is more likely that resealable mylars do not exist, does anyone have experience with the resealable polyethylene bags or should they be avoided?  If the resealable media is to be avoided, how does the archival tape work?  Does it only stick to the bag and not paper or is the only advantage of archival tape the fact that it is acid free?  Or is there some other alltogether different solution which will work?  (I am a bit of a klutz so any chance to avoid the Cursed Tape Of Maiming would probably be best.)

I am interested in hearing what others are using and would like to purchase something relatively quickly.  Any personal experience/insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Right now, my collection consists of mainly 1st edition D&D and AD&D modules so what dimension(s) and thickness would be best for these items?  If any Acaeum members sell these via Ebay or their own stores, let me know as I would certainly like to purchase through a respected/known entity.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for such basic questions.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:14 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Or is there some other alltogether different solution which will work?  (I am a bit of a klutz so any chance to avoid the Cursed Tape Of Maiming would probably be best.)

I'll leave the media questions to the pros, but I'll offer the simplest alternate solution I know:  Tape is cheap.  
If you consistently use the following procedure, you'll be happier:

1.  Remove old tape.
2.  Open bag and remove contents.
3.  Return contents and close bag.
4.  Apply new tape.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:31 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I'll leave the media questions to the pros, but I'll offer the simplest alternate solution I know:  Tape is cheap.  

If you consistently use the following procedure, you'll be happier:

1. Remove old tape.
2. Open bag and remove contents.
3. Return contents and close bag.
4. Apply new tape.

Wow!  :D  This is a great solution.  I'm embarassed to say I really missed the bleeding obvious!  :oops:   I guess this is a perfect example of Occam's razor:

1. Remove old tape. (Cut gently with Occam's razor)
2. Open bag and remove contents. (Enjoy sweet D&D goodness)
3. Return contents and close bag. (Gotta get back to work)
4. Apply new tape. (Put away razor.  I am a klutz after all!)

Thanks Deimos. I really appreciate the info. :D  What are your preferences for media?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:37 pm 

Magazine size bags (available from hundreds of comics retailers and about a billion eBay sellers) work great for D&D modules, supplements, Dragon Magazines, etc. Don't forget to get boards, too — all of the mylar in the world is useless is your items are actually being bent while stored.

Resealable bags are way over-rated and a big pain, in my opinion. They also really tend to stick to the contents of the bags, which seems to be your initial complaint. And they are usually more expensive, as compared to the same-sized item with a standard flap.

Replacing your tape is always an option, as LemurWizard3428 mentioned. I use big circular stickers from Office Depot to seal up my items; those are also easily replaced.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:45 pm 

Agreed.  I buy all of my storage supplies at the local comic shop.  And boards are essential, no matter what you're bagging (unless it's a hardcover book  :D ).

As for tape, use the removable kind now available from Scotch.  Wonderful stuff.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:51 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Replacing your tape is always an option, as LemurWizard3428 mentioned. I use big circular stickers from Office Depot to seal up my items; those are also easily replaced.

Deimos is certainly one clever primate. :wink:   I like the sticker idea as well.  Thanks.

I know from my own searches there are tons of sellers out there.  Is there any particular brand of bag you would recommend or avoid or are they all pretty much the same?

And boards are essential, no matter what you're bagging (unless it's a hardcover book  ).
As for tape, use the removable kind now available from Scotch. Wonderful stuff.  

Although I did not mention the boards, I realize how important they are now.  Removable Scotch tape -- most excellent. :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:53 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
Removable Scotch tape -- most excellent. :D

It's the kind in the blue packaging.  Unlike the regular tape, which is in green packaging.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:21 pm 

bombadil wrote:
It's the kind in the blue packaging.  Unlike the regular tape, which is in green packaging.

Great, I'll try to pick some up tomorrow.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 pm 

I'm vastly experienced now, after helping my son build his 5th grade math project (a complete model house)  :D .

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 pm 

Off topic, but have you started playing D&D with your son yet?  My little ones are VERY curious about all of daddy's new books with the monsters and wizards, but I have yet to introduce them to the game.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:30 am 

My youngest is really interested in fantasy wargames, so at age 10 I introduced him to HeroScape.

He loves it, he loves the minis, and now he's asking about D&D....

:D

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:47 am 

I feel compelled to add that tape isn't necessary at all . . .  Just take the top flap and fold it back, tucking it behind the module and the other side of the bag.

Most tape acccidents will peel off a glossy module no probelm . . . but if you accidentally tape a comic book, you're doomed!  I have 8 boxes of comics  all bagged (and most boarded) and not one single piece of tape to be found!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:33 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I feel compelled to add that tape isn't necessary at all . . .  Just take the top flap and fold it back, tucking it behind the module and the other side of the bag.

Most tape acccidents will peel off a glossy module no probelm . . . but if you accidentally tape a comic book, you're doomed!  I have 8 boxes of comics  all bagged (and most boarded) and not one single piece of tape to be found!

Same here.  Tucking the flap into the bag prevents the flap and/or tape from getting snagged (and crinkling the bag or tearing the tape) when you pull it/push it back into the bookcase, box, or whatever you store them in.

I have 8 boxes of comics

I have 84 boxes of comics....and at some point over the next year I will be rebagging and reboarding about 50% of them due to age.  I'd pay someone else to do it but I don't trust anyone else to touch them.  :cry:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:35 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Most tape acccidents will peel off a glossy module no probelm . . .

Unfortunately, I discovered this by accident.  It was like TSR planned this +5 Gloss of Protection in the past anticipating future morons like myself.  :wink:

Seriously, you bring up a very valid point which I have experienced several times with recent purchases.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Tucking the flap into the bag prevents the flap and/or tape from getting snagged (and crinkling the bag or tearing the tape) when you pull it/push it back into the bookcase, box, or whatever you store them in.

I've had at least four instances where getting the dang tape off is near impossible and at least one time I severely crinkled the bag while attempting a complete removal of the tape. One module I received was in a bag where the previous owner could not easily remove the tape and simply taped beside it.  Not very professional looking but I left positive feedback anyway as the underlying item was in great condition and that to me is what matters.

As soon as I pickup some bags, I will try it both ways, (nudge, nudge wink, wink  :wink: ) and see which I prefer.  Speaking of boarding, some modules I bought had only one board in them.  I'm not sure if this was used to provide more rigidity to the package or is this an acceptable method of boarding?  It doesn't seem to offer the protection of the two-board method, but I could definitely be missing something here.

Yet another question from the newb.  After they are bagged, is there a preference for storing them upright or flat in the box?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:09 am 

Momentarily off-topic:

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:My youngest is really interested in fantasy wargames, so at age 10 I introduced him to HeroScape.

He loves it, he loves the minis, and now he's asking about D&D....

Matt, this is a great suggestion!:D I am sorry to say I had never heard of the game prior to you post :oops: , but after doing a quick google on 'HeroScape' this looks perfect.  With soccer season wrapping up today, this looks like a fun way to start fantasy wargaming with my kids. Many thanks.  :D

And now, back to the regularly scheduled thread.