The comprehensive eBay shipping shortcuts thread
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:23 pm 

I buy all my shipping supplies at E-Supply.

http://www.esupplystore.com/

They have bubble mailers, book-fold boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc...

Another trick I have learned is that, if I take my stuff to the main/central Post Office in town as opposed to my local branch so my packages are delivered about one day faster.  Fortunately, the main Post Office is close to my work, so I just drop stuff off on my way.  My feedback includes lots of fast shipping comments.

I ship internationally often.  I require Registered Mail ($7.90) for all shipments to Italy.  The Italian Post Office loses packages and seriously delays packages all the time.  However, I mostly sell miniatures so my packages are light.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:49 am 

aia wrote:just a question on the flat rate box: one limit is the 20 pounds of weight... but what about the dimension of the container? is there any threshold?
tnx and ciaooo

Axel, flat Rate boxes do have a weight limit of 20 lbs, however you can't just use any old box and ask for the Flat rate.  There are 2 very specific types of boxes that the USPS supplies you that are meant only for flat rate.  Any other box other than those 2 types of boxes, no matter what they look like in size or shape are not eligible for Flat rate shipping.  Here is a link that shows the 2 boxes in question:

http://www.stamps.com/export/client/pos ... boxes.html

Keep in mind though that although those prices from that page are not up to date, the boxes themselves are still the same sizes.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:12 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Axel, flat Rate boxes do have a weight limit of 20 lbs, however you can't just use any old box and ask for the Flat rate.  There are 2 very specific types of boxes that the USPS supplies you that are meant only for flat rate.  Any other box other than those 2 types of boxes, no matter what they look like in size or shape are not eligible for Flat rate shipping.  Here is a link that shows the 2 boxes in question:

http://www.stamps.com/export/client/pos ... boxes.html

Keep in mind though that although those prices from that page are not up to date, the boxes themselves are still the same sizes.

ah-ahhh... ok! now it seems much more reasonable! tnx a lot for the link!
ciao

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I buy all my shipping supplies at E-Supply.

http://www.esupplystore.com/

You might try Uline for your boxes being in Georgia (bubble mailers aren't competitive).  The rates are similar, and they ship out of Duluth so I find that shipping to me is CHEAP and really really fast, or if I find myself in the area I can go pick em up for free.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:33 pm 

Advice please.  I have a package which weighs 7 lbs 10 oz., so it's too heavy for the First Class International Rate.  The item I am selling is worth $150.00, so I need to get this right.  The address is to Spain so there's no Delivery Confirmation on a shipment to that country.  The way I see it, I have two options I am considering.  

1) I buy my postage through eBay, then take it to the Post Office and also pay for Registered Mail which works as good as Delivery Confirmation as far as eBay is concerned.  IF the Post Office will allow me to do this, as I may have to buy everything at once meaning I lose my eBay postage discount.

2) I buy my postage on eBay with insurance and forget Registered Mail.  If the buyer says he didn't get it, I must refund the buyer all his money but I make an insurance claim with the Post Office which means I lose all money paid for postage.....unless I claim the item is worth was paid on eBay plus the postage costs which I am pretty sure I can not do since the Post Office needs to verify the value of the item.

I am leaning towards option #1.  Thoughts?   :?:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:52 pm 

I'd probably go with #1.  If you end up having to buy everything from the post office, you can always go back home and cancel the shipping through Paypal and get your money back - I forget how long you have to cancel the transaction but I think it is at least 24 hours (but double check).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 am 

Follow up and lessons learned: I had to go with option #2.  The buyer had obviously bought a significant amount of rpg stuff and had good feedback, so I decided to go ahead with the sale as I had considered cancelling it.  The reason I had to go with #2 is that, Registered Mail was not an option for Spain.  Just like Italy and Greece, insurance was my only protection.  Since I had bought this item (Caste Whiterock) BITD for just $49.00, by selling it and insuring it for $149.00, I was going to come out ahead anyway.  The best news of all was that I received positive feedback last night, so the buyer obviously received and liked the item.  That meant, no insurance claims or further hassles.  Whew!

Sadly, this means Spain will now be on my restricted list of places where I sell, just like Italy and Greece.  Oh well.    :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:47 am 

The corruption and theft in those countries is widely known in the EU. You cannot have 20+% unemployment and not expect those with access to free goods not to steal them and sell them. Things got a little better from the UK once we stopped having to declare value on customs labels, but it's still pot luck. I stopped shipping to high crime countries about five years ago no matter how good the buyer's eBay rating. I only make exceptions for Acaeum members who I've dealt with for years. eBay Spain is pretty much a local marketplace. They haven't managed to integrate into the rest of the world yet.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous