Question about S3 printings
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:38 am 
 

I have a S3 that is a bit strange. The overall feel of it is a second:

Second (1981):  TSR Face logo on exterior cover(YES), Wizard logo on both booklets(NO, JUST THE MAIN BOOK. ILLUSTRATION BOOK HAS THE FACE LOGO).  Module title on cover (this and successive printings) is in a smaller font size than the First printing, and is now placed beneath a line stating "Dungeon Module S3"(YES).  Angled-yellow banner in upper left corner is now two lines of text (still "For Advanced D&D Game")(YES).  ISBN on back cover bottom left(YES).  Maps (on interior covers) in black ink(YES).

Now the interesting thing about this one is that the main booklet is 1/8" longer than the cover.

Now for those of you out there that have a first, a second, and a third printing, could you please measure and post the overall length of the cover and the main booklet? Also measure the inner cover and the illustration books on the first vs the second.

The one that I have measures out as:
 The main booklet on this one is 10 and 15/16"
 The outer and inner covers are 10 and 6/8"
 The illustration booklet is 10 and 6/8"

It's probably just some bastard cobble job but I just thought that the measurements were interesting as they are not mentioned in the ACAEUM print descriptions of this module.


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."


Last edited by Kosh Vorlontay on Sun May 06, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:57 am 
 

I brought up something like this a while back but didn't get much feedback:

viewtopic.php?t=4932&highlight=printing

I have 2 copies that look like this.

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1649
Joined: Sep 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 05, 2021
Location: Portown

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:32 am 
 

Here's the Acaeum S-series page for quick reference:
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/s.html

I have two S3's - just checked them.

The first one (my beat up original from ~1983-4) seems to be one of these odd ones. It matches the 2nd printing listing, except that the exterior cover and one booklet have the Face Logo, and the illustration booklet has the Wizard Logo. Everything is consistently the same height, though. This sounds the same as your two copies, Mars, that you mention in the link above. My copy is a store-bought original, so it's not a "Frankenstein" (unless TSR did it). Edit: Matches 6th printing, which has blue maps and a Wizard Logo illustration booklet.

The other one I have is a first printing and conforms with the Acaeum listing. Each piece has Wizard Logo, and each piece is a "tallboy".


Last edited by Zenopus on Sun May 06, 2007 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:17 pm 
 

I need to get measurement qualities, not descriptions.

If you have a first print, does it measure 10 and 15/16" on all components?


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."


Last edited by Kosh Vorlontay on Sun May 06, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  


Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 50
Joined: Nov 05, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2012

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:59 pm 
 

I have a copy that conforms to the third print description on the Acaeum S-series page.

All components - both covers and both books - measure 11".

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:36 am 
 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I have a S3 that is a bit strange. The overall feel of it is a second:

Second (1981):  TSR Face logo on exterior cover(YES), Wizard logo on both booklets(NO, JUST THE MAIN BOOK. ILLUSTRATION BOOK HAS THE FACE LOGO).  Module title on cover (this and successive printings) is in a smaller font size than the First printing, and is now placed beneath a line stating "Dungeon Module S3"(YES).  Angled-yellow banner in upper left corner is now two lines of text (still "For Advanced D&D Game")(YES).  ISBN on back cover bottom left(YES).  Maps (on interior covers) in black ink(YES).

Now the interesting thing about this one is that the main booklet is 1/8" longer than the cover.

Now for those of you out there that have a first, a second, and a third printing, could you please measure and post the overall length of the cover and the main booklet? Also measure the inner cover and the illustration books on the first vs the second.

The one that I have measures out as:
 The main booklet on this one is 10 and 7/8"
 The outer and inner covers are 10 and 6/8"
 The illustration booklet is 10 and 6/8"

It's probably just some bastard cobble job but I just thought that the measurements were interesting as they are not mentioned in the ACAEUM print descriptions of this module.


S3 might be the MOST frankensteined module set out there, what with the picture book, the outer sleeve, the inner sleeve, and the adventure book.  Unless someone originally purchased it from a store and it has never left their collection, or they have a SW copy they want to bust open, I would be leery of mismatched type S3's. Anything purchased from anyone or anywhere else is suspect.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1649
Joined: Sep 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 05, 2021
Location: Portown

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:42 am 
 

I just measured these S3s:

The first one (my beat up original from ~1983-4) seems to be one of these odd ones. It matches the 2nd printing listing, except that the exterior cover and one booklet have the Face Logo, and the illustration booklet has the Wizard Logo. Everything is consistently the same height, though. This sounds the same as your two copies, Mars, that you mention in the link above. My copy is a store-bought original, so it's not a "Frankenstein" (unless TSR did it).


All three parts are exactly the same height:
Cover (Face Logo) = 10 & 5/8 inches
Module Booklet (Face Logo) = 10 & 5/8 inches
Illustration Booklet (Wizard Logo) = 10 & 5/8 inches

This one has blue ink maps.

Looking at the Acaeum listing again, this is probably a Sixth printing.

The other one I have is a first printing and conforms with the Acaeum listing. Each piece has Wizard Logo, and each piece is a "tallboy".


Here, the cover is slightly taller than the booklets:
Cover (Wizard Logo) = 11 inches
Module Booklet (Wizard Logo) = 10 & 15/16 inches
Illustration Booklet (Wizard Logo) = 10 & 15/16 inches

This one has black ink maps.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:26 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
S3 might be the MOST frankensteined module set out there, what with the picture book, the outer sleeve, the inner sleeve, and the adventure book.  Unless someone originally purchased it from a store and it has never left their collection, or they have a SW copy they want to bust open, I would be leery of mismatched type S3's. Anything purchased from anyone or anywhere else is suspect.

Mike B.


My trouble with this is that 2 of my 3 copies of S3 have one book face logo and the other wizard logo.  I bought these as part of collections from people who were probably the original owners and I find it pretty hard to believe that  so many people got together with someone else who happened to have an earlier printing and swapped books.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:31 pm 
 

My copies have:

cover (face logo): 10 3/4
inside: just a hair shorter
Adventure book (face logo): 10 3/4
Illustration book (wizard): 10 3/4

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:27 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Anything purchased from anyone or anywhere else is suspect.

Damnit, BadMike stole my line!

I'll add that it might be safe to assume your copy of S3 was Frankenstein-ed at some point over the last 25 years, unless you can specifically trace its lineage.

Personally, other than my original copy (which I know has been kept complete and in its original form over the years) I think every copy of S3 I've owned has been mismatched in some way.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:33 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:Damnit, BadMike stole my line!

I'll add that it might be safe to assume your copy of S3 was Frankenstein-ed at some point over the last 25 years, unless you can specifically trace its lineage.

Personally, other than my original copy (which I know has been kept complete and in its original form over the years) I think every copy of S3 I've owned has been mismatched in some way.


So which printing would have the main booklet at 10 and 15/16" in height?
With that printing height established, are all the other components the same height?


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1843
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 24, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:01 pm 
 

It is probable, given the flux state at TSR in 1981, that:

(a) the printer ran a LOT of each component (since it was a Gygax);
(b) we at TSR made some changes (such as going to the face logo) during the process;
(c) bins full of components were assembled at the printer via the 'whatever's on top of the pile' method.

F

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1