Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 104123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm 

sci-fi-city-online

I don't know if he's shady but he is hard to work with.  He has done all of the following over the course of several attempted purchases:

1)  Sent me an incomplete order, claiming that one of the items was no longer in stock...when the identicle item was up for auction in his Ebay store at that moment.

2)  Sent me a replacement item that was exactly what I had told him I did not want.  (In essense, he replaced a legitimate item with junk that was lying about his store unsold...because it was junk.)  When I pointed this out, he apologized, but I still have the junk item.

3)  Told me he was going to list more items soon (he offers free shipping for a certain amount of combined purchases), and then disappeared off of Ebay for long enough to nullify my original buy-it-now.

4)  Failed to answer emails.

5)  Answered emails out of order...making and rescinding offers willy nilly just out of sheer confusion.  I would agree to a deal and then have the deal rejected because the seller forgot what we agreed.

6)  Listed another item for a bargain and then claimed, after I  bought it, that he had already listed and sold the item several weeks before.  This was not true...at least for Ebay sales.

He's probably not so much "shady" as "disorganized."  The results have been frustrating and I am unlikely to go back to him even if the item is very tempting...which the last one certainly was.

I said above that I was letting it go, and now I am...but buyer beware.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Instead of going through 50 pages of this thread...

Has anyone kept up a list of buyers/sellers to block?

Obviously, I block anyone I've had a problem with... and cougie...

PM'ed you my list.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 pm 

If you were a seller, would you

. . . (A) mention dead bug exoskeletons in your auction description
. . . or
. . . (B) wait for the excited buyer to empty out the box contents and exoskeletons onto his PC mouse, mousepad, and keyboard?  :evil:

Dead bugs are f*ding*ing welded onto the box interior.  Bits keep falling out and floating around my PC.  "New" item, indeed.   :evil:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:If you were a seller, would you

. . . or
. . . (B) wait for the excited buyer to empty out the box contents and exoskeletons onto his PC mouse, mousepad, and keyboard?  :evil:

Dead bugs are f*ding*ing welded onto the box interior.  Bits keep falling out and floating around my PC.  "New" item, indeed.   :evil:

Did you buy it from Badmike?  I hear he uses roaches for bookmarks.  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:55 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

I heard that but thought it was an entirely different kind of roach they were talking about.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:11 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

A reference to the time a lousy buyer gave me a neg and accused me of placing a dead roach in his paperback....nice memory there, King!  :wink:

I've never hid any substances in a game box, but once bought one that had someone's stash inside, complete with stems and seeds.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:45 am 

Did you post it in Recent Fun Finds or Shady "Dealers" :)?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:17 am 

Badmike wrote:
I've never hid any substances in a game box, but once bought one that had someone's stash inside, complete with stems and seeds.

Mike B.

Mike, that was probably a "high" level adventure and he just used it to get into character. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:40 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:If you were a seller, would you

. . . or

I once received a book in a padded envelope....

Picked it up at the Post Office....

Opened it in the car while I was driving because I was too anxious to look at my new prize.....

....and there was a colony of tiny ants under the adhesive flap, complete with larvae that the ants immediately began to scramble about and save...

...which, of course, blew all over me as I was driving.

I held the package out the car window to let the ants blow away.  I felt bad about it, since I was ending their incredible voyage with disaster, like some sort of space monster destroying Red Dwarf.   :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I once received a book in a padded envelope....

Picked it up at the Post Office....

Opened it in the car while I was driving because I was too anxious to look at my new prize.....

....and there was a colony of tiny ants under the adhesive flap, complete with larvae that the ants immediately began to scramble about and save...

...which, of course, blew all over me as I was driving.

I held the package out the car window to let the ants blow away.  I felt bad about it, since I was ending their incredible voyage with disaster, like some sort of space monster destroying Red Dwarf.   :?

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was bragging to his brother that he'd never hit an animal while driving.  The two proceeded to argue that point when an animal ran across the road right in front of them.  He swerved so the animal would pass in between his wheels.  My friend's brother immediately claimed my friend had hit the animal but my friend protested.  His brother made him turn around and go back to look for evidence.  When they arrived at the scene, not only was the possum dead, but it was apparently a mother possum with about a dozen little baby possums now scattered all over the road.  Unfortunately, the passing traffic had turned everything into a dozen little flat possum pancakes.  My friend went from having never hit anything to killing a dozen animals at once in one fell swoop. :pale:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:15 pm 

This is not so much a shady dealer as a snooty dealer, but it makes for a good story.  So, I inquire about this auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Notice, he's charging $9.75 for Priority Mail.  I ask:

Dear collectableguy,

I would think you could fit these items in a small, flat-rate, Priority Mail box. It's about the size of a video cassette, and if you pay on-line, the cost would only be $4.80 and include free delivery confirmation. My main concern would be whether you would be able to pack them so they wouldn't be damaged in transit. Is this an acceptable option for you and for shipping safely? Thanks for considering my interest.

- benjoshuasdad

He replies:

Dear benjoshuasdad,

I now about Small Flat Rate boxes I use them when I can- there is NO way I could safely pack these in a box this small. I don't do on-line printing of postage because it would cost me big money in ink & supplies. I don't like being told by a potential buyer what to do......so I'm not considering anything from you...........

- collectableguy

He is not in the Christmas spirit.  I did not write back nor plan to.  I did, however, add him to my block list. :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:43 pm 

benjoshua wrote:He is not in the Christmas spirit.  I did not write back nor plan to.  I did, however, add him to my block list. :?

He sounds like a prince of a guy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 pm 

So many sellers don't seem to understand simple courtesy to a customer.

He could have just said, "No.  I am not comfortable at all with the smaller box."

I suspect it is the medium.  Sometimes we type things that we would not say face to face.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 am 

Thats true enough. I have found that a recipients state of mind can also affect the reply.
If they are having a bad day or generally ill tempered, they read a polite request in the same tone as their life, which leads to an arsey response.
Think that guy was just being an arse.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:28 am 

I've made 2 purchases from collectibleguy in the past & he was always friendly with me, but then I never made any shipping suggestions to him, either.  

I did have another seller send me a message after I left him positive feedback but stated that his shipping was a little high.  ($6.16 or something like that to send a package with $3.75ish postage.)  He sent me a breakdown of all his costs.  It's been a while since I've bought padded envelopes & I no longer remember the price he quoted me, but it seemed high.  The kicker, though, was that he included a 90 cent fee for tape and gas to drive to the post office.  

I wrote him back and politely stated that I was sorry if he felt my comment was unfair, but I had given him a positive instead of a neutral or a neg & I still felt that his shipping fees were a little steep.  He then messaged me again to say that he wasn't mad, but he felt that he needed to educate people who had never sold on eBay as to the true cost of shipping.  I have sold on eBay before, although not in a while, (not RPG stuff, just used books) & I know I ate it once or twice on shipping, but I'd rather do that & hope it all evens out in the end than charge someone a buck to pay for my gas.  At this point I was wishing I had left him a neg or at least a neutral.

Now I don't bother commenting on a seller's shipping costs, I just put it all in their DSRs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 pm 

I've had several sellers more than willing to consider alternate shipping options, and I'm always thankful for that - always ask early in the auction, not an hour from the end.

One guy was charging $5 for a small flat rate box, and another $5 for "his time and gas money" - I won't be bidding on any of his items.

I guess it depends on the person you're dealing with.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:58 pm 

I think most non US buyers don't mind a handling fee of $1-$3 per package because the cost of shipping is so much higher anyway.  $5 starts getting to be a lot.  Also, the people who charge a handling fee per item should just be avoided at all costs.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 pm 

Here is something that IMHO needs to be posted here:

http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/2009/12/11 ... big-crook/

I did a search on the forum and didnt find any mention of it elsewhere.  Based on what I read and saw in the linked .pdf, actionseller99, AKA Jim Shipman of Outlaw Press may be someone to avoid on Ebay.  Not that he screws buyers out of their money or doesnt ship merchandise, but apparently he has been using artwork in his products that isnt his to use.

I dont know about anything other than what I read, but if this is truth, the guy deserves zero support from me.  If anyone else affliliated with the industry knows anything more about this I would be interested to hear it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 104123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 102103104