Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 55 of 104123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am 

certainly nothing I'd be interested and I cant see anyone owning up... shady buyer and seller then, especially as the auction finished!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:13 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Okay, who made this guy an offer outside of eBay not to complete the sale? The seller has refunded my payment claiming no longer to be in possession of the fanzine.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not Pete Wasylko, anyhow. (Still amused that he's been lurking here for so long).

Surprised that any would've managed to make an offer to convince them, Ian, given that wasn't exactly a low price compared with recent sales history for the same issue. Very much above the "unsold at 99 pence" for those mid-late TCs a couple of years back, too...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:42 am 

faro wrote:Very much above the "unsold at 99 pence" for those mid-late TCs a couple of years back, too...

Ah. Those were the days...

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 am 

OK, I'm starting a watch on a seller you probably have come across on Ebay.  His name is sci-fi-city-online.

This seller has a history of sending the wrong item, forgetting an ongoing transaction, goofing up emails and periodically disappearing from Ebay.

The other day I found this sweet bargain:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Today he sent me this message:

I'm terribly sorry, but that Larin Karr book is no longer available. It was listed (relisted) last week by accident. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Regards,
Randy
Sci-Fi City

I have been watching via Ebay automatic searches for this item for some time.  No way was it listed and sold earlier.  That did not happen.

It seems pretty clear that another buyer contacted sci-fi-city-online after I hit the Buy-It-Now and made a better offer.  It was probably someone here...not that it matters who it was.

I watied for a few hours to think it over and then tonight I replied to sci-fi-city-online:

Dear sci-fi-city-online,

No matter how much the second buyer offered you, it was unethical for him to interfere and unethical for you to accept his offer.

My advice to you is to honor the contract you entered into when I hit the Buy-It-Now button.

Honoring your contract would be the ethical thing to do. I believe you will also find it to be a wise business decision which will cost you less in the long run.

I am not in the habit of reporting everyone on Ebay who jerks me around (I have only ever given one well-deserved negative feedback), but this guy is now on my shady dealer watch list.

Anyone else know about this guy?  Can anyone tell me my interpretation of events is wrong?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 am 

I'd agree, on the understanding you know it hasn't been listed before. Neg and even a possible report to ebay if it were me, because this sort of business behind the scene sucks when a sales complete.
Seems a trend might be starting....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:11 am 

FormCritic,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the auction "disappear" after you hit the "Buy-It-Now" button.  So once that happens no one should see the auction and would not be able to make an offer after the auction closed?

Martin

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:18 am 

Though, if someone else had the item in their watchlist, it would appear as "Ended" after FormCritic did the BiN. In that case the other buyer would still have the ability to contact the seller through that item's listing. Probably said something to the seller along the lines of, "I've been watching this listing for some time, meaning to buy it, but didn't get the chance. I'd be willing to go $XX above the BiN." That sucks.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:03 am 

$16+$12 in shipping....$26...Smarmy1 is selling one on the classifieds on here for $25 including shipping. I don't know if he still has it, but you might want to drop him a PM to see.

Still a crappy deal on Ebay for you, but if you want the mod...

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9216

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:40 am 

FormCritic wrote:OK, I'm starting a watch on a seller you probably have come across on Ebay.  His name is sci-fi-city-online.

I have purchased from this seller successfully, but it was a long time ago (years).

If you take a look, you can see that it is a retail store as well, so it is possible that this was truly a mistake - something was listed, then sold in the store.

You may very well be right as to what happened; I'm just presenting another possibility.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:53 am 

This is something that happens from time to time with local games stores who also sell on eBay and Amazon. It's probably an honest stock mistake. A seller should remove listings immediately as they are sold from one outlet from the others, but in reality, they don't do that. I've bought stuff from Amazon before only to be refunded and told it was sold through eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:59 am 

I've screwed up and listed items I didn't have...it happens.  I've also refunded money when an item I listed was in worse shapethan I though (I.e., I went to package it for mailing and pages fall out, or I notice the interior pages have been written on with pen, etc).

The seller deserves a neutral but not a neg since you have no way of knowing if it was a simple mistake or out and out screwing you over.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:05 am 

I would say neutral... I would hit him on DSR #1 but give medium to decent remarks on the rest since you have no way of knowing his level of service.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:52 am 

Prufrock wrote:FormCritic,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the auction "disappear" after you hit the "Buy-It-Now" button.  So once that happens no one should see the auction and would not be able to make an offer after the auction closed?

Martin

The listing would still be visible to anyone doing a search with the proper parameters.

It would also be visible to anyone with a watch list...when they clicked on the email notification they would find the auction closed but they would still be able to see it quite well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 am 

No no no no no...I'm afraid you didn't understand what I was trying to say! Three weeks ago I had one copy of the book...I listed it...it sold...it shipped...I accidentally relisted it...you then bought something that was no longer available.

This did not happen.  My search has been up longer than three weeks.  I was not able to find it under "Completed Listings."

Perhaps someone here is better at searching than me?

I've decided to just let it go.  

And thank you Smarmy1 for selling me your copy!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:36 am 

Well looking into his feedback he nor the buyer left feedback for it, so it could have been bought from his online store (if he still has that up).  But good to see everything worked out overall.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm 

Not shady, just clueless:

Steverbrown8

Shipped a load of Polyhedrons in a brown paper bag with tape around it.  The mags arrived with a gigantic dent in the lower right corner...ALL of the mags, as there was zero padding or stiffening item to prevent this sort of damage (needless to say they were shipped parcel post).  I'm going to see if the seller will give me a partial refund due to the damaged condition of the mags.  Just an FYI as I see the same seller has additional D&D items for sale and seems to be using the identical shipping costs/methods for each of these.

Mike B.

EDIT: Seller did give me a partial refund when I sent him a picture of the damage.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:55 am 

Instead of going through 50 pages of this thread...

Has anyone kept up a list of buyers/sellers to block?

Obviously, I block anyone I've had a problem with... and cougie...

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Instead of going through 50 pages of this thread...

Has anyone kept up a list of buyers/sellers to block?

Obviously, I block anyone I've had a problem with... and cougie...

PM'd you with my list.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 55 of 104123 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 102103104