Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 104123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm 

Glad it arrived so quickly Martin, shame you had to give the seller a gentle reminder...  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

Endymion wrote:Lo and behold, inside the cover of one of them was an obvious thumbprint (like someone had newspaper ink on their hands).

I'm with Pruf on this one.  It is possible that the mark was made at the printers especially if it looks like it is black ink like that.  I would probably see if there are other signs of wear such as if the book has been read, inconsistencies at the corners, etc.  But if the book otherwise looks new, then probably a printers problem.

I would suggest that the seller could have taken some time to send you a response though.  You are essentially telling him that the product he sold you is not what he claimed it to be so to address this would be a good thing.

I have been in the process of buying a new laptop for the last few months and the machines just aren't up to the spec that the manufacturer and their partners claim they are - memory isn't the proper speed and the screen doesn't do the claimed resolution.  This has been brought to the attention of the partner I bought it from and the manufacturer.  The manufacturer was quick to change their website on one of the errors but the second still persists and the partner (although aware of the problem) hasn't changed their website.  The bad spec was sent out to all of Canada so the error shows up on everyone's website.  They have sold hundreds of units but it seems like I am the only one who has actually checked the machine to see if it matches the spec.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:44 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Tony Diterlizzi piece arrived 10 minutes ago.  It's a shame what I had to go thru to get this piece.  Auction closes - I pay - I wait - I send emails and get no response - I start dispute and get no response - I start claim for refund and he sends it out next day.

So I'm mad.  I would like to hear how you would handle the feedback before I do.  I'm incline to go with a neutral since he did finally provide the item and it is as he described.  Let me know what you think.

By the way, his feedback has taken a real hit between the end of the auction and now.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm 

NEUTRAL!?!?!?!
Martin, neutral is if you're disappointed with a seller. If you really are angry...........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm 

You should be going with negative feedback for sure.
So, was it in good condition?
Any chance of a better piccie. The piece looks like a nice find.
Congradulations there, Martin.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:36 pm 

RaisedFromTheDead wrote:NEUTRAL!?!?!?!
Martin, neutral is if you're disappointed with a seller. If you really are angry...........

I myself usually only go with negative if I dont receive the item at all or the seller flat out lies about the condition of the item.  If I get the thing but have to wait a month for it or they charge me extra for shipping & handling, I usually just give them a neutral and hammer the hell out of their DSR's.

Although this guy apparently doesnt know how to reply to emails.  Maybe he lost his arms in a freak gardening accident a couple of weeks ago and cant type anymore.  Would also make sense that his packages are late....it can't be easy to tape up a box with your feet.

:wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:16 pm 

I'm more in-line with King's advice.  I did get the piece and it's in very good condition.  So I will give a neutral and hammer the DSR's.  The pic in the auction does not do it justice.  The piece was done in just three colors (yellow, black, and very subtle use blue to highlight the nighttime aspect).  I will try to get a pic up this weekend.

The piece is unsigned.  I'm thinking of asking the artist to sign the piece.  I would like to hear if anyone has dissenting opinions on getting the piece signed.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I'm more in-line with King's advice.  I did get the piece and it's in very good condition.  So I will give a neutral and hammer the DSR's.  The pic in the auction does not do it justice.  The piece was done in just three colors (yellow, black, and very subtle use blue to highlight the nighttime aspect).  I will try to get a pic up this weekend.

The piece is unsigned.  I'm thinking of asking the artist to sign the piece.  I would like to hear if anyone has dissenting opinions on getting the piece signed.

Martin

Maybe have him sign the reverse... or draw up a certificate and have him sign that.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I myself usually only go with negative if I dont receive the item at all or the seller flat out lies about the condition of the item.  If I get the thing but have to wait a month for it or they charge me extra for shipping & handling, I usually just give them a neutral and hammer the hell out of their DSR's.

Although this guy apparently doesnt know how to reply to emails.  Maybe he lost his arms in a freak gardening accident a couple of weeks ago and cant type anymore.  Would also make sense that his packages are late....it can't be easy to tape up a box with your feet.

:wink:

Agreed. Hammered DSRs actually hurt the seller now more, anyway. You get too many "1s" and it impacts you more than negs.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm 

Do damaged DSRs hurt all sellers, or just big time sellers? What are the repocussions to an occasional seller?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm 

I would neutral and give low dsr for shipping.  
I would also have the work signed on the back if the artist is willing.

Low dsr's can hurt occasional sellers even more than big time ones.  Occasional to moderate sellers have to sell hundreds of items to make up for three DSR's of 1 or 2 in a single category in order to be eligible for the 20% final value listing fee credits.  At least that's how I read it when they made the changes a while back.  And, if dsr's fall below a certain level, they restrict listing to 10 items a month or so.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 am 

Okay, who made this guy an offer outside of eBay not to complete the sale? The seller has refunded my payment claiming no longer to be in possession of the fanzine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am 

certainly nothing I'd be interested and I cant see anyone owning up... shady buyer and seller then, especially as the auction finished!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:13 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Okay, who made this guy an offer outside of eBay not to complete the sale? The seller has refunded my payment claiming no longer to be in possession of the fanzine.

Not Pete Wasylko, anyhow. (Still amused that he's been lurking here for so long).

Surprised that any would've managed to make an offer to convince them, Ian, given that wasn't exactly a low price compared with recent sales history for the same issue. Very much above the "unsold at 99 pence" for those mid-late TCs a couple of years back, too...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:42 am 

faro wrote:Very much above the "unsold at 99 pence" for those mid-late TCs a couple of years back, too...

Ah. Those were the days...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 am 

OK, I'm starting a watch on a seller you probably have come across on Ebay.  His name is sci-fi-city-online.

This seller has a history of sending the wrong item, forgetting an ongoing transaction, goofing up emails and periodically disappearing from Ebay.

The other day I found this sweet bargain:

Today he sent me this message:

I'm terribly sorry, but that Larin Karr book is no longer available. It was listed (relisted) last week by accident. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Regards,
Randy
Sci-Fi City

I have been watching via Ebay automatic searches for this item for some time.  No way was it listed and sold earlier.  That did not happen.

It seems pretty clear that another buyer contacted sci-fi-city-online after I hit the Buy-It-Now and made a better offer.  It was probably someone here...not that it matters who it was.

I watied for a few hours to think it over and then tonight I replied to sci-fi-city-online:

Dear sci-fi-city-online,

No matter how much the second buyer offered you, it was unethical for him to interfere and unethical for you to accept his offer.

My advice to you is to honor the contract you entered into when I hit the Buy-It-Now button.

Honoring your contract would be the ethical thing to do. I believe you will also find it to be a wise business decision which will cost you less in the long run.

I am not in the habit of reporting everyone on Ebay who jerks me around (I have only ever given one well-deserved negative feedback), but this guy is now on my shady dealer watch list.

Anyone else know about this guy?  Can anyone tell me my interpretation of events is wrong?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 am 

I'd agree, on the understanding you know it hasn't been listed before. Neg and even a possible report to ebay if it were me, because this sort of business behind the scene sucks when a sales complete.
Seems a trend might be starting....

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:11 am 

FormCritic,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the auction "disappear" after you hit the "Buy-It-Now" button.  So once that happens no one should see the auction and would not be able to make an offer after the auction closed?

Martin

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 104123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 102103104