Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 104123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:27 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have never struck an Aussie Seller that has overcharged on shipping like this...

Good to know, hermit.  Don't know how you Aussies do it, but we have laws against that sort of thing in the States.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:05 am 

Prufrock wrote:Anyone have any problems with "prudeboy69."  I won this auction for a nice piece of interior artwork.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

During the auction his response to my questions was fantastic now that the auction is over he has not anwsered any email I've sent.  It's only been 2.5 weeks but in all my purchases from ebay I've rarely waited this long for the package to arrive or the buyer sends me an email when he has shipped so I know when to expect it.

He has several negs listing "he never sent me my item" type  of complaints and I'm worried someone made him an offer for the artwork after the auction closed.

I will wait a little while longer but I won't wail long before starting the refund process.  Would like your opinions on my next coarse of action.

Martin

Update:  I filed a claim on Monday.  Paypal is now reporting that he sent the package out yesterday.  So I should get it today.  The auction closed Oct 9 and I had to file a claim to get him to send me the piece of art.  Let's just hope he doesn't do anything like damaging the item to get back at for filing a claim.  

I will update this after I have the item.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am 

I wouldn't worry. For most incompetent and/or inexperienced sellers, a PayPal claim is just a prod to make them put in the extra time needed to go to the PO. Keep us posted and we look forward to a good picture of it when it arrives.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:51 pm 

A few months back I bought some items in shrink wrap from an Ebay dealer.  Since I wanted to read and use them, I removed the wrap (which I imagine may cause a few people here to wince, sorry).  Lo and behold, inside the cover of one of them was an obvious thumbprint (like someone had newspaper ink on their hands).

Now, for all I knew, the dealer may have gotten the item from a third party and himself been duped.  So, I sent him an email to the effect of "Hey, thanks for the item, but the guy who supplied you did a re-shrink job.  You might want to be wary in the future."  

I got no reply -- no "thanks", no "sorry it got passed on to you," nothing.

I don't care either way -- I wanted to read and use these things and they were in great condition.

But would you call the guy who sold me the items a "shady dealer"?

Edited for grammar.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:37 pm 

Endymion,

I would not.  Not responding to an email after he has provided the item in question is not enough to warrant the tag "shady."  Plus it is entirely possible that the fingerprint could have gotten there during manufacture of the product.

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:47 pm 

mbassoc2003,

The piece of art should arrived today.  Also scheduled to arrive today is my first Original Cover Painting.  "The City of Peril" used as the cover for a 3.5 Supplement by the same name.  The painting is by Ralph Horsley.  I will have pic of both pieces of art as soon as I have the framing done.  Which could take awhile as I need to wait until the framers have their 50% off sale.  If you seach ebay for "City of Peril" you will see the Cover.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm 

Glad it arrived so quickly Martin, shame you had to give the seller a gentle reminder...  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm 

Endymion wrote:Lo and behold, inside the cover of one of them was an obvious thumbprint (like someone had newspaper ink on their hands).

I'm with Pruf on this one.  It is possible that the mark was made at the printers especially if it looks like it is black ink like that.  I would probably see if there are other signs of wear such as if the book has been read, inconsistencies at the corners, etc.  But if the book otherwise looks new, then probably a printers problem.

I would suggest that the seller could have taken some time to send you a response though.  You are essentially telling him that the product he sold you is not what he claimed it to be so to address this would be a good thing.

I have been in the process of buying a new laptop for the last few months and the machines just aren't up to the spec that the manufacturer and their partners claim they are - memory isn't the proper speed and the screen doesn't do the claimed resolution.  This has been brought to the attention of the partner I bought it from and the manufacturer.  The manufacturer was quick to change their website on one of the errors but the second still persists and the partner (although aware of the problem) hasn't changed their website.  The bad spec was sent out to all of Canada so the error shows up on everyone's website.  They have sold hundreds of units but it seems like I am the only one who has actually checked the machine to see if it matches the spec.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:44 pm 

The Tony Diterlizzi piece arrived 10 minutes ago.  It's a shame what I had to go thru to get this piece.  Auction closes - I pay - I wait - I send emails and get no response - I start dispute and get no response - I start claim for refund and he sends it out next day.

So I'm mad.  I would like to hear how you would handle the feedback before I do.  I'm incline to go with a neutral since he did finally provide the item and it is as he described.  Let me know what you think.

By the way, his feedback has taken a real hit between the end of the auction and now.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm 

NEUTRAL!?!?!?!
Martin, neutral is if you're disappointed with a seller. If you really are angry...........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm 

You should be going with negative feedback for sure.
So, was it in good condition?
Any chance of a better piccie. The piece looks like a nice find.
Congradulations there, Martin.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:36 pm 

RaisedFromTheDead wrote:NEUTRAL!?!?!?!
Martin, neutral is if you're disappointed with a seller. If you really are angry...........

I myself usually only go with negative if I dont receive the item at all or the seller flat out lies about the condition of the item.  If I get the thing but have to wait a month for it or they charge me extra for shipping & handling, I usually just give them a neutral and hammer the hell out of their DSR's.

Although this guy apparently doesnt know how to reply to emails.  Maybe he lost his arms in a freak gardening accident a couple of weeks ago and cant type anymore.  Would also make sense that his packages are late....it can't be easy to tape up a box with your feet.

:wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:16 pm 

I'm more in-line with King's advice.  I did get the piece and it's in very good condition.  So I will give a neutral and hammer the DSR's.  The pic in the auction does not do it justice.  The piece was done in just three colors (yellow, black, and very subtle use blue to highlight the nighttime aspect).  I will try to get a pic up this weekend.

The piece is unsigned.  I'm thinking of asking the artist to sign the piece.  I would like to hear if anyone has dissenting opinions on getting the piece signed.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I'm more in-line with King's advice.  I did get the piece and it's in very good condition.  So I will give a neutral and hammer the DSR's.  The pic in the auction does not do it justice.  The piece was done in just three colors (yellow, black, and very subtle use blue to highlight the nighttime aspect).  I will try to get a pic up this weekend.

The piece is unsigned.  I'm thinking of asking the artist to sign the piece.  I would like to hear if anyone has dissenting opinions on getting the piece signed.

Martin

Maybe have him sign the reverse... or draw up a certificate and have him sign that.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I myself usually only go with negative if I dont receive the item at all or the seller flat out lies about the condition of the item.  If I get the thing but have to wait a month for it or they charge me extra for shipping & handling, I usually just give them a neutral and hammer the hell out of their DSR's.

Although this guy apparently doesnt know how to reply to emails.  Maybe he lost his arms in a freak gardening accident a couple of weeks ago and cant type anymore.  Would also make sense that his packages are late....it can't be easy to tape up a box with your feet.

:wink:

Agreed. Hammered DSRs actually hurt the seller now more, anyway. You get too many "1s" and it impacts you more than negs.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 pm 

Do damaged DSRs hurt all sellers, or just big time sellers? What are the repocussions to an occasional seller?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm 

I would neutral and give low dsr for shipping.  
I would also have the work signed on the back if the artist is willing.

Low dsr's can hurt occasional sellers even more than big time ones.  Occasional to moderate sellers have to sell hundreds of items to make up for three DSR's of 1 or 2 in a single category in order to be eligible for the 20% final value listing fee credits.  At least that's how I read it when they made the changes a while back.  And, if dsr's fall below a certain level, they restrict listing to 10 items a month or so.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 am 

Okay, who made this guy an offer outside of eBay not to complete the sale? The seller has refunded my payment claiming no longer to be in possession of the fanzine.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 104123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 102103104