Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 104123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 102103104
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am 

I don't think you can block the bidding, but you can select where you'll ship to.

If someone bids anyway, I'd think you'd have a good case to invalidate their bid and go to a second chance offer for the next highest bidder.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:With regards to the recent newbie passing by, not that I sell a great deal, but can I block a complete country from bidding/buying from anything I may list in the future, short of removing their bids as they do so?

(apologies for a little OT here...)

Yes you can.  Under "Shipping details" there is a button to exclude shipping locations "Create Exclusion List".  Instead of one particular country, however, you block an entire location (Africa, Asia, Central America, etc).  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:37 pm 

Ok, I'll have a look, thanks chaps.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Two weeks doesn't sound so bad.  What was the shipping method?

Well, I'm not an impatient person, but I bought the item on the 9th.  I purchased a couple of other items from a different seller a few days later, had shipping notification within 2 days and received the items three days after that.  With the R1 I received shipping notification after 1 week (9/17).....then it was never shipped.  That raised a red flag for me.  Then I got to thinking last night that Mike had mentioned something about the same seller.  Sure enough I checked (after sending the guy a note asking what happened) and saw that my item had been shipped to Mike.  The guy was honest in his reply and said he had screwed up and shipped it to the wrong person.  He voluntarily reimbursed me my shipping and handling charge and a few extra bucks.  Handled it very professionally and I've got to respect that.  Definately a trustworthy guy to do business with.  I should have the item in a couple days.

Rabbit_67

Kill something, it will make you feel better.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:43 pm 

This is what I like to see. Shit happens in life. A little patience can go a long way.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 pm 

Evidently "Drewz" (who recently asked for appraisal info on Dragon mags) doesn't feel that accurate and complete descriptions (or complete magazines) are important... Ironically, the early issues I picked up from him/her (8 and 11) are in terrific shape, but 23 and 27 had undisclosed damage, and 51 was missing Emperor's Treasure, despite all of them being described as in "great shape" and "100% intact".

The response I get to my complaint (specifically about issue 51): "I said 100% intact, not 100% complete, and never mentioned the Emperor's Treasure insert." Caveat emptor. Of course, I've filed a PayPal dispute, so we'll see where that takes me :).

EDIT: Forgot his/her eBay user ID. It's "vadane".

Last edited by MetaSigma on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:48 pm 

I was interested in later, more common issues.  The prices he wanted were wishful thinking.  I'm glad I didn't bite.

I hope you get sorted out okay.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 pm 

Thanks. Not the end of the world. All I requested from the seller was that the total cost of 51 (7 bucks and change) and half of the winning bids for the other two (another 7 bucks and change) be refunded. I thought that was pretty reasonable. Rather than comply, Drewz/vadane gives me this line of BS about the cover/spine splitting happening while the package was in the care of USPS (the magazines were very well packed, no way the Postal Service damaged anything..:)), and that 100% intact doesn't mean 100% complete. All of which pissed me off, so now vadane has a 94.7% feedback rating. Oh well. Live and learn.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:40 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:and that 100% intact doesn't mean 100% complete. All of which pissed me off, so now vadane has a 94.7% feedback rating. Oh well. Live and learn.

Yeah, I just experienced a similar word-twister . . .

I just bought a DVD player from eBay.  The auction picture shows a remote control on top of the DVD player.  Of course, the remote is for a different brand of DVD player and does not work with the DVD player that I bought.  The remote is also missing its battery cover.

eBay sellers just beg to be negged.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

I bought the Dragons #2 - #5 from Drewz / Vandane....

I also got Dragon 1 since the winning bidder decided they didn't want to pay freight for overseas shipping, I got #1 for $165.00

In any case, the magazines were well packed and arrived safe, but they REEK of mothballs... (mothballs: solid chemical that turns to vapor, then gets into all porous objects like PAPER and is most impossible to remove) ...

In any case, I had to keep them out side (not even in the garage helped keep the smell out of the house) ...

After doing some research about removing the smell, I think it's a lost cause.

I contacted Drewz/Vandane about the fact he should mention any smells, since that can make a difference. He said someone has asked him about smoke, and he told them no, but they smell like mothballs, and that someone told him that's better than smoke ... wishful thinking ...

Anyway, I obviously didn't ask about any smells and thus I wasn't informed... needless to say... Dragons #1 - 5 have been destroyed.

I didn't neg him, though maybe I should have. I will be sure to ask 20 questions of him next time.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 pm 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:I bought the Dragons #2 - #5 from Drewz / Vandane....

I also got Dragon 1 since the winning bidder decided they didn't want to pay freight for overseas shipping, I got #1 for $165.00

In any case, the magazines were well packed and arrived safe, but they REEK of mothballs... (mothballs: solid chemical that turns to vapor, then gets into all porous objects like PAPER and is most impossible to remove) ...

In any case, I had to keep them out side (not even in the garage helped keep the smell out of the house) ...

I contacted Drewz/Vandane about the fact he should mention any smells, since that can make a difference. He said someone has asked him about smoke, and he told them no, but they smell like mothballs, and that someone told him that's better than smoke ... wishful thinking ...

Anyway, I obviously didn't ask about any smells and thus I wasn't informed... needless to say... Dragons #1 - 5 have been destroyed.

I didn't neg him, though maybe I should have. I will be sure to ask 20 questions of him next time.

Destroying Dragons again LOL  some people on this board are gasping I am sure :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:52 pm 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:I bought the Dragons #2 - #5 from Drewz / Vandane....

I would have been willing to test some methods for removing the smell... Honestly I bet I could figure something out.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 pm 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:In any case, the magazines were well packed and arrived safe, but they REEK of mothballs... (mothballs: solid chemical that turns to vapor, then gets into all porous objects like PAPER and is most impossible to remove) ...

I have an air purifier that some folks have given testimony that it has removed skunk stench. I can't verify that obviously, but I do know it at least gets the particulate out of the air quite well. I could try that out as an experiment, but unfortunately, I can't determine success or failure myself, as I have no sense of smell. It would take a couple of weeks to leave it running while flipping pages a couple a day.

Very much a longshot.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:21 pm 

ScketreWhisp® - You don't honestly mean you destroyed the magazines, do you? Hell, I would have paid you $100 to send them to me, if you didn't want them.

Yes, the mothball smell on the ones I received is incredibly strong. I haven't yet done any research on removing the smell, and I suspect you are correct that it's a lost cause. I imagine that it will dissipate somewhat over time, and I have them sealed almost airtight, so it doesn't affect the room where I'm currently keeping my stuff.

I was a bit ill after unpacking the box, though. I just quit smoking a little over three weeks ago... I can only imagine the state I'd be in if I hadn't.

MS

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 pm 

Just a thought...

take the stinky mags and put them in a ziplock with a shitload of baby powder... make sure it's not the kind with aloe. ;)

make sure the baby power covers every surface... maybe even brush it around on the mags pages before putting it in the bag.

I bet in a week the smell will be greatly reduced... it should also help with moisture. Then to remove the powder you can use a soft guitar polishing cloth ( one that has not been used with polish yet)

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:07 pm 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:Anyway, I obviously didn't ask about any smells and thus I wasn't informed... needless to say... Dragons #1 - 5 have been destroyed.

Damitol, Doug, you keep raising the bottom of the collectibles floor.  You're removing the crap that I want to buy.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 pm 

You are way too nice not to insist on a return.  Sellers are obligated to describe items properly and to a reasonable standard.  A reasonable person does not expect to have a purchase arrive reeking of mothballs or smoke that were not described.  It's not simply shady, it's likely misrepresentation/fraud.

Also, for the record, someone noted that they were taken by an ambiguous description.  Contracts are generally voidable by the party who did not write the contract/description if the seller writes the contract/description and includes terms that are ambiguous.  Ambiguities are generally decided against the author so that business can proceed without significant danger of deceptive practices/fraud.  Contracts are also generally expected to be written in plain language.  

I am not an attorney... but people pulling fast ones with language and inadequate descriptions can and should be stopped from profiting from them.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:39 am 

Smell is probably the #1 "bad" variable that is not described when buying.  I have had items reeking of cig smoke (to the point where the package itself stunk when picking it up from the post office) and not mention of it in the description. Ditto mold/mildew smell. You can remove it but it takes lots of time, sometimes up to a year of airing out, placing next to an air purifier for months, storing in airtight containers with scented items, etc.  I've gotten pretty bad items down to bearable but it takes quite an investment in time.

A mothball smell actually doesn't bother me too much compared to those.  I'm going to have a trash can made up with my name on it and place it in you room at your house, Doug.  Next time you want to dump smelly product, stapleless product, or something you just dont like the look of, just toss it in there and I will come by and pick it up!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 104123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 102103104