Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 104123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm 

And this is entirely regardless of who won the auction, but negging someone on a deal where (from the pics of the outside) the books look to be in good nick for $15.... I think that takes the piss somewhat.

That's an amazing price and although the seller has clearly not used the pics of the items themselves, I'm not sure about 'Shady dealer' and negging...

(but please, I would still think exactly the same, if it were Badmike, mbassoc or whomever)  8)

Edit - just as an aside, those pics on the auction are, to me, clearly not her pics just due to lack of background etc. Having looked at a lot of sales of various items, it's always clear if the pics are the item or pics are lifted.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 pm 

What difference does it make that it was still a good deal?

She did not ship what she described and illustrated.

People use stock photos all the time, I have absolutely no issue with that if the item is in the condition described and what is sold is actually the item photographed.  

This stuff is mass produced, if it saves a seller 5 minutes so they can post more d&d for us to buy... more power to them.

However, she provided a stock photo of the WRONG book.

She did not apologize for her error/mistake.

She was rude about it.

Ebay is a matter of trust.  

She can't be trusted.  

Buying from stock photos should not mean the seller can send us anything with the same title.  That's a pig in a poke.  Especially, if they are using the valuable first print photos for the listings.
[/i]

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:38 pm 

Pipswich wrote:What difference does it make that it was still a good deal?

People use stock photos all the time, I have absolutely no issue with that if the item is in the condition described and what is sold is actually the item photographed.  

This stuff is mass produced, if it saves a seller 5 minutes so they can post more d&d for us to buy... more power to them.

However, she provided a stock photo of the WRONG book.

She did not apologize for her error/mistake.

She was rude about it.

Ebay is a matter of trust.  

She can't be trusted.  

Buying from stock photos should not mean the seller can send us anything with the same title.  That's a pig in a poke.  Especially, if they are using the valuable first print photos for the listings.
[/i]

Well, that is fair enough, I just think a neg is a little harsh. Don't think I would have reacted the same way, but you never know until you're in that position I guess..   :?

So are the markings and soiled areas particularly bad? Would you have bought them for $15 if they were described accurately? Interested in seeing what condition inside is, thats all.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:57 pm 

They were a great buy anyway.  Clean and nice inside, etc.

However, she appears to have been comfortable using three stock photos... all of the wrong printing.

In addition, she is comfortable using stock photos and not noting the splattering on the cover of one of them, which you can see in my photo.

In addition, she is not sorry for here error and did not learn from it.
Instead, she responded rudely and is sorry that I am disappointed?  
She indicated no awareness that she had done nothing wrong.\
She left several auctions running that likely have similar issues.

This leads me to believe she
Without remorse.
Will use the wrong photos again.
Will not note condition issues that should be noted.

These add up to shady to me.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:54 pm 

possibly, or just bloody lazy and not understanding of the items she is selling..?

she is not making a profit out of it, but fair enough, best to highlight such sellers so others don't buy unreliable items from them.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:06 pm 

They were a great buy anyway.  Clean and nice inside, etc.

However, she appears to have been comfortable using three stock photos... all of the wrong printing.

In addition, she is comfortable using stock photos and not noting the splattering on the cover of one of them, which you can see in my photo.

In addition, she is not sorry for here error and did not learn from it.
Instead, she responded rudely and is sorry that I am disappointed?  
She indicated no awareness that she had done nothing wrong.\
She left several auctions running that likely have similar issues.

This leads me to believe she
Without remorse.
Will use the wrong photos again.
Will not note condition issues that should be noted.

These add up to shady to me.

I don't know that I would go as far as saying shady.  Lazy--yes, ignorant--yes, doesn't care--probably not.  Shady, it seems to me, should be reserved for those who are intentionally trying to deceive the buyer.  This seller probably wouldn't know a 1st print from a 50th print, nor does she even care.  Couple that with the fact that she is too lazy to take a picture of what is actually being sold and this is what happens.

Sometimes that's how ebay works.  When I buy on ebay things are usually what I expect.  Sometimes they are better than I expect and other times they're not.  Kind of tends to balance out in the end.

I will say this, had you bought this from a knowledgeable seller then by all means it's a shady deal.  Save this girl for the lazy/don't care thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:47 pm 

Guys,
Stop nitpicking this... the seller is lazy and ignorant. THAT'S SHADY!

Regardless of the positive aspect of the items being under-priced... which is irrelevant. Her conduct should not be rewarded.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:56 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:
I don't know that I would go as far as saying shady.  Lazy--yes, ignorant--yes, doesn't care--probably not.  Shady, it seems to me, should be reserved for those who are intentionally trying to deceive the buyer.  This seller probably wouldn't know a 1st print from a 50th print, nor does she even care.

I'd have to agree with that, but as TheMilford says, it does deserve highlighting so others here don't get their fingers burnt. Although for $15...!  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 pm 

Pipswich wrote:What difference does it make that it was still a good deal?

[/i]

So, presumably you asked for a refund and she refused to pay return shipping?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm 

Of course I did not ask for a refund.  
It would be foolish to return them for $15.
That does not remedy her error, or her failure to acknowledge one.
Further, we are still only speculating that there wasn't a switch involved.

Her response should have been fairly simple:

Oh, I am sorry.  I am new to Ebay and used someone else's photos.  I was unaware that they were different items or that it would matter to a buyer.  Would you like to send them back for a refund?

I have a lot of tolerance for honest mistakes that lead toward better listings from the sellers.  I don't have a lot of tolerance for dishonest, lazy or ignorant ones that are compounded by a sellers refusing to acknowledge one was made when caught red handed.  

She cribbed photos of the wrong books, failed to describe condition accurately and then was rude....  enough said, she got her negs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:03 am 

So you didn't ask her to make it right?  

You didn't ask for a refund, a partial refund or credit on another item or some other way of fixing the problem?

Presumably, you contacted her again and explained again what you were mad about and pointed out that your main goal was just to insure that she wouldn't post the wrong photos again in the future.  

You did that, didn't you?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:28 am 

FormCritic wrote:So you didn't ask her to make it right?  

You didn't ask for a refund, a partial refund or credit on another item or some other way of fixing the problem?

Presumably, you contacted her again and explained again what you were mad about and pointed out that your main goal was just to insure that she wouldn't post the wrong photos again in the future.  

You did that, didn't you?

Yeah, and now you can rub it in her face that if she wasn't lazy and ignorant she would have gotten much more for the books...

There are lessons here for her to learn... and every aspect of this transaction just reinforces them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:54 am 

Hey, maybe you should do your shopping with her and see if you get better luck and items as described!   :roll:

Maybe she won't be rude.  If so it will be because:

Yes,  :D

I explained the issue of the photo substitution and the fact that her error created doubt regarding her intentions since the items she had illustrated were of significantly greater value then the ones received.
I also explained the dsr's I gave her.  

This is literate verbose Pipswich, lol.....  :twisted:  No sense in letting a seller flounder, wondering where they went wrong.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:59 am 

TheMilford wrote:Guys,
Stop nitpicking this... the seller is lazy and ignorant. THAT'S SHADY!

Regardless of the positive aspect of the items being under-priced... which is irrelevant. Her conduct should not be rewarded.

Dead on.  If he had payed $100 for the lot would anybody be questioning whether or not she belonged on the shady dealer list?  Inaccurate item descriptions.  Failure to mention that photos were not of actual items.  Apparent disinterest in buyers valid complaints.  Honest mistake or not, it was still a mistake.  Sounds to me like someone to avoid.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 am 

Precisely.

I would have hit it at $200.
$300, immediately upon confirming the other books

She can hurt any of us.  
Especially, now that she knows d&d can be valuable.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 am 

Pipswich wrote:She did not ship what she described and illustrated.

Sorry, there's no way this belongs in the Shady Dealer thread.  Unless you want to fill it with clueless eBay sellers...but it's really meant for people that intentionally screw people over.

Clueless newbies are everywhere on eBay.  Next time you see something too good to be true, ask before rabidly hitting the BIN.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:30 am 

deimos3428 wrote:but it's really meant for people that intentionally screw people over..

Kinda my point some way back and also mentioned by others. Perhaps a thread to give an explanation on what 'Shady' means is needed....  8)

:lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:45 am 

Nobody ever intentionally tries to screw anybody... they only try to intentionally make more money... the screwing is a byproduct of a lack of moral and empathy.

"The means justifies the ends"

I guess "shady" isn't completely accurate until we know if this sort of practice becomes commonplace in her repertoire.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 104123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 102103104