Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 104123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:And it was not my error that created that listing.
It was the sellers TITLE and DESCRIPTION that caused the problems.

What the HELL is dishonorable about requesting my bids be deleted 6 DAYS before the listing ends.
ESPECIALLY when the Description AND Title are BOTH totally WRONG.... :roll:  

From my unbiased perspective it looks like this is been blown way out of proportion.  Why exactly do you think this seller is shady?  I can't see how this seller would know the minute differences between the two printings?  So although the listing is incorrect by your standards, to anyone without prior knowledge of The Acaeum's printing information the listing would be fine.

And as far as the sellers lack of response, from what I have read they simply werent able to respond in a timely manner.  I'm not privy to any of the emails sent to you by the seller obviously but based on this from Doug:
I had 81 questions on the auction, and as I am a flight attendant, and travel often, I am not available to answer them all

Just because the seller put in the auction description "please ask questions before bidding" doesnt mean that they will necessarily answer every question they get.  Maybe the seller expected to be there during the auction and got called away in a work emergency.  And even if the seller didnt get the bid cancelled before the auction ended, based on what I have seen they most likely would have honored your request anyway and let you off the hook if you had won.

I dont believe that a seller should be listed in this thread unless a buyer truly gets screwed over or there is obvious potential for getting screwed over.  You get ripped off on shipping or the item you receive isnt the same as what you paid for then by all means post your problem here.  But nothing like that happened in this case.  It was a mistake, oversight, lack of specific knowledge in what they were selling....call it whatever you want.  There was a chance that you could have been screwed over but it never even got that far.

I dont see anything shady about it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 pm 

The seller also overreacted emotionally about the word "fraud" being used and lied about what happened to close the auction to better make her case.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm 

TheMilford wrote:The seller also overreacted emotionally about the word "fraud" being used and lied about what happened to close the auction to better make her case.

That's your opinion.  Fraud is a pretty strong word in most circles.  People go to prison on a daily basis for all types of fraud....its not a nice word.  And for someone who I assume is an Ebay newbie based on their feedback, being told they are going to be reported to Ebay might just scare the crap out of them.

As for the seller lying about what happened....must have missed that part.

Edit:  I looked again and I assume you mean by the seller lying about what happened that you mean where she put the reason why the bids were cancelled?  
Explanation: Abusive emails, told me item was fraud, then threatened me.

Again, different people have differing views of what constitutes abuse and threats.  I know if I got three emails in three days saying essentially the same thing I would consider that terribly annoying, but not abusive.  But that's just me.  I don't see a lie here, just a different perspective.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm 

faro wrote:^== *nods*

In a sentence, "Don't believe everything you see on the Acaeum price list"..........

........Anyhow, I trust you're not still taking the Acaeum listed prices as gospel throughout; good luck on the 1975 character sheet pads, Strategic Previews, etc., if so.

Where is bclarkie..... :?:  :lol:

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Again, different people have differing views of what constitutes abuse and threats.  I know if I got three emails in three days saying essentially the same thing I would consider that terribly annoying, but not abusive.  But that's just me.  I don't see a lie here, just a different perspective.

I sent 3 emails in 3 days...
None of which have ever been answered.
STILL...

What was I supposed to do?
Send one and forget it?
Send one then wait a month for the next one?
Thats just silly....

I was prepairing to enable myself to end my own bids.
The ONLY way I know of where I could withdraw my bids myself (without breaking the E-Bay rules) was to NOT be able to contact the seller.
(There are two other choices, neither of which applied for this case)
THREE emails unanswered in 3 days pretty much covers that....

I was NOT trying to get the seller to END the listing...
That was HER choice.
All I wanted was to be let out of it...

I wont try to defend what I did, as I do not think it needs defense.
Agree with me or call me an idiot and an asshole... your choice...

I have been called worse.
And I am married to her.... except that with her I cant just log off.
You cant hurt me more than she can. :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
I sent 3 emails in FOUR days...
None of which have ever been answered.
STILL...

I was prepairing to enable myself to end my own bids.
The ONLY way I know of where I could withdraw my bids myself (without breaking the E-Bay rules) was to NOT be able to contact the seller.
(There are two other choices, neither of which applied for this case)
THREE emails unanswered in FOUR days pretty much covers that....

I was NOT trying to get the seller to END the listing...
That was HER choice.
All I wanted was to be let out of it...

I wont try to defend what I did, as I do not think it needs defense.
Agree with me or call me an idiot and an asshole... your choice...

I have been called worse.
And I am married to her.... except that with her I cant just log off.
You cant hurt me more than she can. :lol:

Well now I am totally lost.  Exactly who are you expecting to call you names and why?  What does her cancelling the listing have to do with anything?  And why are you being so defensive?  You posted to the shady sellers thread, David (faro) put in his two cents, and you went ballistic.  All I was attempting to do was take an outside look at what I perceived as a serious failure in communication and you come back with a post that....well I frankly dont have a clue what you are even trying to say at this point.  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 pm 

No ballistics detected here...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am 

Does responding slowly [within 2 or 3 days] to an e-mail constitute being a "Shady Dealer"?

I would say no.

Having said that, I don't condone Gnat's trying to get out of the bid, or what he perceives as a dealer as being shady.

But there's definitely been a lot of drama here.

If anyone wants to start some drama with me I wouldn't mind... I need to increase my post-count anyways...   :wink:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 am 

TheMilford wrote:No ballistics detected here...

Nope... none here either. 8)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 pm 

pepsigalore, for his atrocious ODD sale to grodog

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:25 pm 

junogrrl

She either realized her major pricing error and sold the books to someone else for more money.... or she stole photos without knowing what she was doing.  (Note that I didn't ask for this price, I just stumbled into it quite happily, I thought!)

The photo is of a beautiful first printing of Greyhawk, And, what seemed likely to be first printings of EW and Swords and Spells.

What I got was an 11th printing Greyhawk, 8th printing EW and a soiled, spotted and cover stained 4th of Swords and Spells.  None, obviously have the 5.00 price on the bottom.

Still a good buy of course, but what a frustrating package to get today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2759.l1259

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:47 pm 

Pipswich wrote:junogrrl

She either realized her major pricing error and sold the books to someone else for more money.... or she stole photos without knowing what she was doing.  (Note that I didn't ask for this price, I just stumbled into it quite happily, I thought!)

The photo is of a beautiful first printing of Greyhawk, And, what seemed likely to be first printings of EW and Swords and Spells.

What I got was an 11th printing Greyhawk, 8th printing EW and a soiled, spotted and cover stained 4th of Swords and Spells.  None, obviously have the 5.00 price on the bottom.

Still a good buy of course, but what a frustrating package to get today.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I do not think that this belongs in the Shady Dealer thread.

Perhaps a new thread called Uninformed sellers who sell things VIA BINs cheap as hell because they dont know any better and use pics borrowed from other places.

Perhaps if you had written the seller before hitting the BIN seller would have let you know more about the items actually listed.

But yes seller SHOULD have stated pics not actual items being sold and described the soiling and stains better.

Seller did state names written inside cover of two of them... were names inside any of the books you got?

STILL:

The Soiled/Stained/Spotted S&S is worth at least as much if not more than you paid for all three Supplement Books together.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:54 pm 

I don't think any one here would have sent an email first, lol.  That's a picture of a beautiful first print Greyhawk for $15.  I didn't even know the other two books were there until after I bought the lot.  

The problem with the stealing photos is that I can't find a common source for the pics and text.  Some might be from RPG and/or here.  But, why the heck weren't they all lifted from a single source, if that's what she was doing.

I can't complain about the price of what I received, but I certainly thought it was my "fun find" of the season.  And, wouldn't you wonder, if someone got to her and swapped them out if you were me?

Note: I am trying to be careful not to make wild accusations, but the sale is clearly either misrepresented or a bait and switch happened.  I think either option qualify as Shady.  jmho

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 am 

A Bait and switcher would almost by definition KNOW exactly what was being baited and switched along with the values of those items.
A B&S seller would not have all 3 Supplement books in one listing for a BIN of just $15.
Seller was without a doubt ignorant about the value of the books in that listing....

Three OD&D Supplements for a BIN of $15?
There is No way that seller really knew what she had.
No telling where the pics came from either.

But you are right, I would not have waited for a note in response before hitting the BIN either.

Still, I would have posted this in the FUN FINDS thread though.
Not the shady dealers thread.
Can you post pics of the books covers?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:19 am 

They are completely unremarkable, lol.  But, I added them.

And, you are right bait and switch was not the right term.  The potential would have been for someone to have contacted her and paid more for the ones in the picture and given here these to send me.  Hopefully, unlikely, but you never know when potentially three first print books of high desirability are involved.

What I got is certainly still a steal, but... certainly not the deal of the year, either.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:09 pm 

Wish I had seen that auction. I need a better condition EW than what I have now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:22 am 

$15 and free shipping for these three books?

If you're unhappy, Pipswich, I'll refund your money and pay for shipping to my collection.   :D

At that price, only a fool would have contacted the seller before hitting the BIN button.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:54 am 

*grin*

Wonder how many purchases qualify for fun finds and shady seller, lol.  Odd circumstance for sure.  I looked over the books carefully and she noted two had names inside, which these do.  And they were shipped from Juneau AK a day after they were bought on ebay.  I think I must conclude that she did simply lift the photos unknowingly.  That or there is a shady collector near Juneau, lol.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 am 

Pipswich wrote:*grin*

Wonder how many purchases qualify for fun finds and shady seller, lol.  Odd circumstance for sure.  I looked over the books carefully and she noted two had names inside, which these do.  And they were shipped from Juneau AK a day after they were bought on ebay.  I think I must conclude that she did simply lift the photos unknowingly.  That or there is a shady collector near Juneau, lol.

I would still be a little upset, deal or no deal.

It's dishonest and and stupid what she did and should be held accountable.

In any case, you wanna sell be that EW at a deal of a price? Mine has blank pages (weird).

;)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 104123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 102103104