Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 104123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:19 pm 

faro wrote:........Even if you had ended up winning, sucking up a $10-20 error from a mistake you yourself made in IDing and bidding on the pad would've been a far more honorable approach given that you're more than happy to effectively say "tough" when a seller slits their own throat and gives you a BIN on the cheap through their lack of knowledge, for example.

JM02c, anyhow,
David.  

I have no clue what you are talking about! ???
If you dont mind, please help me to figure it out. :?

THIS SITE lists those two versions as follows:
Character Record Sheets (1977 - lizard) Jan 12 07 3 $25  $45  $60  $75  $90  $100   
  Character Record Sheets (1979 - wizard) Jul 26 03 3 $7  $12  $16  $20  $24  $27  

Considering the condition that PC Sheet Pad was in, that would NOT be a $10-20 difference. :roll:

And it was not my error that created that listing.
It was the sellers TITLE and DESCRIPTION that caused the problems.

Yeah I have already admitted that I missed the Wizard Logo, but so did at least one other person, otherwise my high bid would have stayed at the starting price. :lol:

Once I saw MY MISTAKE, I IMMEDIATELY e-Mailed the seller with a REQUEST to PLEASE delete all of my bids.

What the HELL is dishonorable about requesting my bids be deleted 6 DAYS before the listing ends.
ESPECIALLY when the Description AND Title are BOTH totally WRONG.... :roll:  

Sheese.... :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:29 pm 

TheMilford wrote:
Excuse me if I have confused things... But what are you talking about? Which auction are we talking about here?

I think it refers back to the TheHistorians comments on the previous page. It took me a while as well, as it seemed Jims comments referred to Gnat.  :?

Seems a genuine cock-up all round, but what do I know...  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:31 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
I think it refers back to the TheHistorians comments on the previous page. It took me a while as well, as it seemed Jims comments referred to Gnat.  :?

Seems a genuine cock-up all round, but what do I know...  :wink:

Yes, he was talking to me.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 pm 

Shame it didnt work out right in the end...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm 

^== *nods*

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Thats not $10-20 difference. :roll:

In a sentence, "Don't believe everything you see on the Acaeum price list".

You are unlikely to ever see a complete pad of 1979 sheets in nice condition going for $20 unless everyone else is at GenCon without net access. If I was a reseller I'd quite happily buy a bundle at 50% over and resell at a profit if anyone had the stock and wished to take me up on the offer. However, no-one has such stock and they'd be none too smart to accept such an offer even if they had.

I actually made such a purchase on Wizard vs. Lizard (vs. posting here without having had to pay for the privilege of the "win") per viewtopic.php?p=61089&highlight=#61089 and Frank Mentzer corrected me on the price. D'you know what? He was right. The next few complete wizard pads went to $40-60 and lizard pads $50-80 or thereabouts and they were both rare in nice, complete condition. And I'm pretty sure there have been no "bargain" wizard sheets selling at $5-10 by the dozen to offset those since 2006.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:And it was not my error that created that listing.

"RARE 1977 TSR Dungeons & Dragons character sheets"?

Hardly a hanging offence vs. those people with White Boxes they insist they bought before 1977.

A complete pad of sheets in mint condition. Rare? Yep; more so than OCEs, anyhow.
(c) 1977. Yep.
Great big Wizard logo? Not mentioned but hardly "invisible". You didn't spot it; I didn't spot it last time. The world hasn't ended as a result...

Gnat the Beggar wrote:ESPECIALLY when the Description AND Title are BOTH totally WRONG.... :roll:  

Sheese.... :roll:

Your "that was a non corrected error for this set of PC Sheets" was more "wrong" IMO since you have no evidence for that statement whereas the seller was merely stating what they saw.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Do you have any clue what you are talking about?!

Did I say you were coming across as seriously loud and whiny?
Yes, I do have a clue what I'm talking about having made the same mistake, as I just stated.

How much are you out of pocket as a result of this vs. the seller who placed a BIN and sold you those JG goodies on the cheap?

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:20 pm 

ok ...

The 1979 PC Sheets are listed with a date of 1977.
Are you telling us that is NOT an ERROR?
It should list 1979, not 1977.... or both.
What evidence do you want?
Its in the description for that listing and on this site both.

1979:  Character Record Sheets.  Tom Wham artwork on cover.  Wizard logo.  Copyright still reads "1977", but "TM Reg App For" has been removed.  

Is that a good enough for you?

Also, until today (after my first post above) I did not know the seller listed her stuff then dissapeared into thin air for the rest of the week (litterally dissapeared into thin air).

WHO WOULD, since she didnt say anything about not being available for questions.
I guess that too is my fault...  :oops: ...
BTW: When she did return she had EIGHTY ONE (81) E-Mails waiting for her about that listing.
Mine were NOT the only ones.... I sent just 3 of those 81 questions/comments....

I never said I was out of pocket in the deal....
And I never threatened to hang the seller either.

And WHY do you keep bringing up OCE white box sets?
And the BIN I hit for the Judges Guild items for that matter.
What have they got to do with this situation?

Am I on trial for hanging the seller here?
I never threatened to hang the seller.
Am I on trial for that BIN then?
Were you hoping to bid on it?
It was up for two days before the BIN was added and I hit it first... By nano seconds from what another member stated... is that your big gripe with me?
Do I need to hire an attorney?  :roll:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:47 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Shame it didnt work out right in the end...

No kidding.  The MM was a 1st, the PHB was 1st-3rd, and it seems likely the DMG would be early as well.

I was doubly pissed because it didn't have the most descriptive title, so I didn't think as many folks around here would spot it.  I was right on that front.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:53 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:ok ...

The 1979 PC Sheets are listed with a date of 1977.
Are you telling us that is NOT an ERROR?

1977 is the (c) date which is the only date on the sheet. Expecting sellers to unfailingly know the logo dates whilst we "experts" fail to "see" those logos in the first instance is a bit of double standard IMO.

"That was a non corrected error for this set of PC Sheets" - still no. The (c) on the Wizard sheets is still 1977 /not/ when the sheets were printed. There is no "non corrected error" afaik; even less than the OCEs needed to have been updated to (c) 1977 from 1974/1975 or 1974,whatever.

Anyhow, I trust you're not still taking the Acaeum listed prices as gospel throughout; good luck on the 1975 character sheet pads, Strategic Previews, etc., if so.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Am I on trial for hanging the seller here?
I never threatened to hang the seller.

Only that you'd report them for deliberate fraud, IIRC, and are making an issue of this here when no damage was done in the end for what was likely an honest mistake and/or failure to research the minutae. Remember that listing a seller as a "shady dealer" is likely to affect any future auctions within this domain and thus requires a degree of care to get any complaints "proportional" I'd've hoped.

Pax,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:And it was not my error that created that listing.

What the HELL is dishonorable about requesting my bids be deleted 6 DAYS before the listing ends.
ESPECIALLY when the Description AND Title are BOTH totally WRONG.... :roll:  

From my unbiased perspective it looks like this is been blown way out of proportion.  Why exactly do you think this seller is shady?  I can't see how this seller would know the minute differences between the two printings?  So although the listing is incorrect by your standards, to anyone without prior knowledge of The Acaeum's printing information the listing would be fine.

And as far as the sellers lack of response, from what I have read they simply werent able to respond in a timely manner.  I'm not privy to any of the emails sent to you by the seller obviously but based on this from Doug:
I had 81 questions on the auction, and as I am a flight attendant, and travel often, I am not available to answer them all

Just because the seller put in the auction description "please ask questions before bidding" doesnt mean that they will necessarily answer every question they get.  Maybe the seller expected to be there during the auction and got called away in a work emergency.  And even if the seller didnt get the bid cancelled before the auction ended, based on what I have seen they most likely would have honored your request anyway and let you off the hook if you had won.

I dont believe that a seller should be listed in this thread unless a buyer truly gets screwed over or there is obvious potential for getting screwed over.  You get ripped off on shipping or the item you receive isnt the same as what you paid for then by all means post your problem here.  But nothing like that happened in this case.  It was a mistake, oversight, lack of specific knowledge in what they were selling....call it whatever you want.  There was a chance that you could have been screwed over but it never even got that far.

I dont see anything shady about it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 pm 

The seller also overreacted emotionally about the word "fraud" being used and lied about what happened to close the auction to better make her case.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 pm 

TheMilford wrote:The seller also overreacted emotionally about the word "fraud" being used and lied about what happened to close the auction to better make her case.

That's your opinion.  Fraud is a pretty strong word in most circles.  People go to prison on a daily basis for all types of fraud....its not a nice word.  And for someone who I assume is an Ebay newbie based on their feedback, being told they are going to be reported to Ebay might just scare the crap out of them.

As for the seller lying about what happened....must have missed that part.

Edit:  I looked again and I assume you mean by the seller lying about what happened that you mean where she put the reason why the bids were cancelled?  
Explanation: Abusive emails, told me item was fraud, then threatened me.

Again, different people have differing views of what constitutes abuse and threats.  I know if I got three emails in three days saying essentially the same thing I would consider that terribly annoying, but not abusive.  But that's just me.  I don't see a lie here, just a different perspective.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm 

faro wrote:^== *nods*

In a sentence, "Don't believe everything you see on the Acaeum price list"..........

........Anyhow, I trust you're not still taking the Acaeum listed prices as gospel throughout; good luck on the 1975 character sheet pads, Strategic Previews, etc., if so.

Where is bclarkie..... :?:  :lol:

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Again, different people have differing views of what constitutes abuse and threats.  I know if I got three emails in three days saying essentially the same thing I would consider that terribly annoying, but not abusive.  But that's just me.  I don't see a lie here, just a different perspective.

I sent 3 emails in 3 days...
None of which have ever been answered.
STILL...

What was I supposed to do?
Send one and forget it?
Send one then wait a month for the next one?
Thats just silly....

I was prepairing to enable myself to end my own bids.
The ONLY way I know of where I could withdraw my bids myself (without breaking the E-Bay rules) was to NOT be able to contact the seller.
(There are two other choices, neither of which applied for this case)
THREE emails unanswered in 3 days pretty much covers that....

I was NOT trying to get the seller to END the listing...
That was HER choice.
All I wanted was to be let out of it...

I wont try to defend what I did, as I do not think it needs defense.
Agree with me or call me an idiot and an asshole... your choice...

I have been called worse.
And I am married to her.... except that with her I cant just log off.
You cant hurt me more than she can. :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
I sent 3 emails in FOUR days...
None of which have ever been answered.
STILL...

I was prepairing to enable myself to end my own bids.
The ONLY way I know of where I could withdraw my bids myself (without breaking the E-Bay rules) was to NOT be able to contact the seller.
(There are two other choices, neither of which applied for this case)
THREE emails unanswered in FOUR days pretty much covers that....

I was NOT trying to get the seller to END the listing...
That was HER choice.
All I wanted was to be let out of it...

I wont try to defend what I did, as I do not think it needs defense.
Agree with me or call me an idiot and an asshole... your choice...

I have been called worse.
And I am married to her.... except that with her I cant just log off.
You cant hurt me more than she can. :lol:

Well now I am totally lost.  Exactly who are you expecting to call you names and why?  What does her cancelling the listing have to do with anything?  And why are you being so defensive?  You posted to the shady sellers thread, David (faro) put in his two cents, and you went ballistic.  All I was attempting to do was take an outside look at what I perceived as a serious failure in communication and you come back with a post that....well I frankly dont have a clue what you are even trying to say at this point.  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 pm 

No ballistics detected here...

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:22 am 

Does responding slowly [within 2 or 3 days] to an e-mail constitute being a "Shady Dealer"?

I would say no.

Having said that, I don't condone Gnat's trying to get out of the bid, or what he perceives as a dealer as being shady.

But there's definitely been a lot of drama here.

If anyone wants to start some drama with me I wouldn't mind... I need to increase my post-count anyways...   :wink:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:28 am 

TheMilford wrote:No ballistics detected here...

Nope... none here either. 8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 pm 

pepsigalore, for his atrocious ODD sale to grodog

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:25 pm 

junogrrl

She either realized her major pricing error and sold the books to someone else for more money.... or she stole photos without knowing what she was doing.  (Note that I didn't ask for this price, I just stumbled into it quite happily, I thought!)

The photo is of a beautiful first printing of Greyhawk, And, what seemed likely to be first printings of EW and Swords and Spells.

What I got was an 11th printing Greyhawk, 8th printing EW and a soiled, spotted and cover stained 4th of Swords and Spells.  None, obviously have the 5.00 price on the bottom.

Still a good buy of course, but what a frustrating package to get today.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 104123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 102103104