Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 44 of 104123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:36 pm 

As an example:
I recently placed a bid on an item that was farily reasonable in price and shipping was at the top limit for what I would tollerate.

Anyway, then  I  looked at the sellers other things.
Saw a few items that looked good to me, so I wrote the seller (from the listing I had already bid on) and asked about combined shipping for multiple wins during a reasonable time period.
In this case all the items ended within 12 hours of each other.

Seller wrote back saying certainly a combined shipping rate was doable.
I then asked what that meant in terms of amount.
Seller replied... $0.50 off each additional items shipping cost as stated in that items listing. :roll:

So, for a total of the 5 items I was interested in it would have cost around $35 to $45 (depending on other bidders) to purchase, and $38 to ship them all together....
They were 5 TSR modules.... and all would fit into any large shipping envelope....It was a US seller too.

I wrote back and asked him to reject my single bid.
Seller refused (cant really blaim him as I had made my bid so I had to wallow in it).
I ended up buying the one module and not bothering with the others.
The other modules I was interested in sold for the minimum bids.
BUT, seller got rich from SH costs....
He got all 1s from me for that too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:47 pm 

You could always say, 'I'll get all my friends to buy cheap things from you, and then score you 1, and you're rating will drop like a brick. So why don't you be reasonable and charge me what it actually costs to ship and a little bit for packaging.'

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:15 pm 

Won't make you back any dollars....but you could contact him and let him know that the minimum bids he got were because of his bad shipping terms.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Won't make you back any dollars....but you could contact him and let him know that the minimum bids he got were because of his bad shipping terms.

:twisted:  :lol:  8)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0335638928

Yeah I won!

Message from seller:

My apologies. These items were given away without my knowledge during a garage sale while out of town. I have not sent an invoice since i was told these books were gone. I I ever do retrieve these books again I will contact you and let you know. Thank you and my apologies once again.

Do I have any recourse here, other than going to Montana and whacking this guy in the head?  Of course it's possible that he's telling the truth (and just an idiot), but it FEELS shady.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:40 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Yeah I won!

Message from seller:

My apologies. These items were given away without my knowledge during a garage sale while out of town. I have not sent an invoice since i was told these books were gone. I I ever do retrieve these books again I will contact you and let you know. Thank you and my apologies once again.

Do I have any recourse here, other than going to Montana and whacking this guy in the head?  Of course it's possible that he's telling the truth (and just an idiot), but it FEELS shady.
No, he's quite likely lying.  If I had to guess, someone contacted after the auction was over and offered him more than the winning bid(there's even a BIN offer in the Q&A).  

I'd neg him, give him all 1's, report him to Ebay as a nonperforming seller and move on.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 am 

Just what he said.
Report for non-performance and leave both negative feedback and a stack of 1's. The forget about it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:27 pm 

Just a questions to our Sellers here as I am curious. I notice on posted auctions, there is a lot of cases of people offering to buy lots before the auction is complete. It is logical to assume that people would offer to buy lots they missed out on post auction.

That sux for the winning bidder as they may win for $60, but may have bid $80. If someone comes along and says I'll offer you $65 .......

To the Sellers here, do you get a lot of buyers trying to do this? i.e. Making offers pre and post sale?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:28 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Just a questions to our Sellers here as I am curious. I notice on posted auctions, there is a lot of cases of people offering to buy lots before the auction is complete. It is logical to assume that people would offer to buy lots they missed out on post auction.

That sux for the winning bidder as they may win for $60, but may have bid $80. If someone comes along and says I'll offer you $65 .......

To the Sellers here, do you get a lot of buyers trying to do this? i.e. Making offers pre and post sale?

Not me, but I don't use the auction format anymore just BIN.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Just a questions to our Sellers here as I am curious. I notice on posted auctions, there is a lot of cases of people offering to buy lots before the auction is complete. It is logical to assume that people would offer to buy lots they missed out on post auction.

I've had a number of offers to end a listing early (after someone has already bid) but have yet to be approached after the end of a sale.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 pm 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:
I've had a number of offers to end a listing early (after someone has already bid) but have yet to be approached after the end of a sale.

Ditto.  However, I have had someone ask if I had more of the kind of item I was selling and offered to buy it if I did.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am 

ScketreWhisp® wrote:

Actually, these look like they are the 1979 version:

1979:  Character Record Sheets.  Tom Wham artwork on cover.  Wizard logo.  Copyright still reads "1977", but "TM Reg App For" has been removed.  Versions with blue, yellow, grey, or green covers and pink, orange, grey, or green sheets have been reported (other than colors, they appear identical).  One copy has been spotted that is a side-tearing pad, but the vast majority appear to be top-tearing.ml

The pictures look identical, not sure why the seller says 45 sheets though

Seller ended the listing early.
And after three E-Mails over the past several days the seller finally deleted my bids.
Yes, I missed the Logo.... :oops:
And thanks again to ScketreWhisp for pointing that out in the Interesting Item Thread.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Bidder a***e  Cancelled: US $69.50
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Aug-06-09 15:06:03 PDT
Cancelled: Aug-10-09 07:49:36 PDT

aneoth (624)  Cancelled: US $82.00
Explanation: Abusive emails, told me item was fraud, then threatened me. Bid: Aug-07-09 05:25:36 PDT
Cancelled: Aug-10-09 07:21:44 PDT

Here are my actual E-Mails.
NONE Of which were answered....

Three days ago (Aug 7)

Dear torchcaller321,

After doing some research I have discovered that this item is NOT a 1977 set of PC sheets. It is instead a copy of the far more common 1979 PC sheets. The Wizard Logo gave it away. Even though the copyright page reads 1977 for the print year; that was a non corrected error for this set of PC Sheets. Please reject/delete all of my bids on this item. Thanks.- aneoth

Don't see any threats or abuse here.

Two days ago (Aug 8) at 9 AM

Dear torchcaller321,
I asked you once before and shall ask one more time. Please delete my bids for this listing. This set is Not a Rare 1977 set, it is instead a quite common 1979 set. This will be my last attempt at this. A.
- aneoth

Don't see any threats or abuse here either.

Today: at 8 AM
Dear torchcaller321,
This is the third and last attempt I will make to contact you about this situation.
Please delete all of my bids for this listing. Your description for the item is incorrect as it the listings title. The item pictured is NOT a 1977 printing of the PC Sheet Pad. It is a 1979 Printing which is far more common. I will report this situation as Fraud to E-Bay if you do not withdraw all of my bids.
- aneoth

It was not a threat, it was a promise....  :roll:

And further, my statements were all true.

Seller was continuing to list the item fraudulently.

Sellers explanation of deleting my bids was basically all lies.

I asked nicely TWICE, and after Neither of those requests were granted, or even answered, I then decided nice was not going to get my bids removed.

And last, if this seller is a member here...

Then shame..... with only a moments research (As Doug did), and especially after the facts were pointed out to you,  you could have saved all the embarrassment here.

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:20 pm 

I am surprised you would comment about whacking me on the head. Maybe you have been screwed over before on ebay -- but not this time. We are having to leave the town where we live because of the economy and before I left I had made piles of books to keep and to sell -- they had gotten combined by someone in my absense.  I am quite surprised you would make such a general accusation about me and in a public forum.  If you had other questions for me you could have asked me. If you look at my other items I have sold you could have seen that I did sell other d & d items with no problems.  Again, I do apologize about this --
Jim

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:34 pm 

jimgmontana wrote:I am surprised you would comment about whacking me on the head. Maybe you have been screwed over before on ebay -- but not this time. We are having to leave the town where we live because of the economy and before I left I had made piles of books to keep and to sell -- they had gotten combined by someone in my absense.  I am quite surprised you would make such a general accusation about me and in a public forum.  If you had other questions for me you could have asked me. If you look at my other items I have sold you could have seen that I did sell other d & d items with no problems.  Again, I do apologize about this --
Jim

If you really feel this way then why in your eBay notes do you make the remarks you did?

It doesn't add up.

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 pm 

@milford.... i am not sure what remarks you are reffering to.  I told smrubin that they were sold at my garage sale in my absense and if I could find who bought them I would get them for him. We had the garage sale for 2 days so a sign was made expressing the return of those items on the second day when I returned. A serious mistake was made in the garage sale but as far as me commiting fraud - that is not the case. I had sold other D & D items on ebay without incedent. I have seriously tried to do what I can to recover the items. I am really bummed about not being able to deliver what I had advertised because of no fault of my own.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
It was not a threat, it was a promise....  :roll:
And further, my statements were all true.

There ain't no truth in "that was a non corrected error for this set of PC Sheets" since that's a simple copyright date and if you really want to go on a splurge feel free to report all those other sellers with their 1974 white box sets who are far more insistent that they /are/ 1974 vs. the seller of those character sheets.

To be honest you're coming across as seriously loud and whiny with threats to report the seller as a fraud and going "rare" vs. "far more common" (there's no great difference either in rarity or price between the two, either from sales or actual rarity of complete pads and I was told the same myself here when I also mistakenly picked up the wrong one :))
Even if you had ended up winning, sucking up a $10-20 error from a mistake you yourself made in IDing and bidding on the pad would've been a far more honorable approach given that you're more than happy to effectively say "tough" when a seller slits their own throat and gives you a BIN on the cheap through their lack of knowledge, for example.

JM02c, anyhow,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 pm 

jimgmontana wrote:@milford.... i am not sure what remarks you are reffering to.  I told smrubin that they were sold at my garage sale in my absense and if I could find who bought them I would get them for him. We had the garage sale for 2 days so a sign was made expressing the return of those items on the second day when I returned. A serious mistake was made in the garage sale but as far as me commiting fraud - that is not the case. I had sold other D & D items on ebay without incedent. I have seriously tried to do what I can to recover the items. I am really bummed about not being able to deliver what I had advertised because of no fault of my own.

Excuse me if I have confused things... But what are you talking about? Which auction are we talking about here?

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:17 pm 

I was selling items on ebay and a family member ( who will remain unmentioned) put my things I was saving for myself and ones that I was selling on ebay into the garage sale we were having over the weekend. When I called home to let my wife know what things had sold on ebay -- she made me aware of there was not a box where it was suppsed to be. Really stupid mistake!!! So when I got back later I tried to rectify the issue by hanging signs about the items that were sold -- I had no response from the folks on the second day of the garage sale. Some people came back who were there the first day but not the folks who bought alot of the books from the previous day. Sad thing is all the books and such were sold 2 for a dollar or a dollar each.So now I am just trying to save face and a poor rating on ebay because of a really bad error in my absense.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 44 of 104123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 102103104