Shady Dealers
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This guy keeps popping up.

He sells the same tournament module over and over again.

He is also the guy who was selling pink copies of The Compleat Tavern.

I have reported this listing to Ebay as a copyright/counterfeits violation.

Others might consider doing so as well.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm 

Just a quick update on Troll and Toad. I bought a game from them last week (Ant Wars), with some misgivings, given their reputation. I'm happy to report that there were no problems at all - I got the game today, after it was posted the day after I placed the order. It was securely packaged, and it was in the stated condition.

I even think the price I paid ($140) wasn't too bad - the game was near-mint, unpunched, in the original envelope. The only other copy I've seen was on ebay 3 years ago - on that occasion I was outbid at $85 for a punched copy without envelope. So maybe $140 is about right.

So, if T&T have something you're after and the price is OK - I can recommend them.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm 

How was the shipping from them?  I've been tempted a few times to pick up one or two items from them, but the shipping costs always put me off.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:06 am 

I forgot to mention - shipping was OK. They charged me $18.60 for USPS airmail to Australia. Actual cost was $15.90, so $2.70 for handling/box etc is pretty reasonable.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 am 

The Unspeakable Oath 1 - 6

WARNING:

There were 10 bids higher than mine.

Yet I just got a "Second Chance" offer, both via eBay and directly by an alleged seller.

(Photocopies, anyone?)

Stinks to high heaven... :/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:25 am 

[ the same response as I put in the Non-TSR Items thread ]  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:02 pm 

Hi! I only had the one set. Sorry,
John
The Phat Dragon

Direct from the seller. I have dealt with him before, nice guy.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:23 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Ant Wars... the seller had it in stock, in near mint condition. It was a little pricey, but after three years it would have had to be stupidly pricey to make me hesitate. What did make me hesitate though was the reseller - Troll and Toad.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, woulda saved you some angst.

Provenance:

T&T almost certainly bought it at the GenCon auction (prolly from me as the auctioneer). The seller, a well-known regular named Tim, lives in Indiana and is a friend of McAlister's. Tim has brought several items, including original Titans, directly from Jason McA for sale at the con over the last few years. Jon of T&T has bought several of 'em, almost certainly including the item you got.

An extremely rare find, congrats. It's probably truly Mint (not a word I use often, but those items from McA's private stock were indeed so), and $140 is quite reasonable, especially if you're a fan of the author's work.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:33 pm 

fyi; verbatim quote from email follows. Reported to eBay as a scam. Item number:  
Date: 6/7/2007 2:43:44 AM CDT From: [email protected] To: [email protected] Please excuse me for this unexpected messege.I am the seller of the eBay Item number:  
(THE UNSPEAKABLE OATH 1-6 CTHULHU DIGESTS).I've just been contacted by the eBay staff who informed me that the winner of the item I sold,withdrew his bidding and was rejected due to security reasons(either failed to follow through on the purchase commitment or outright refused to do so).The eBay policy automatically proclaims you to be the winner by default. Nevertheless,I need your agreement on this so I may contact eBay to confirm you the winning position, otherwise,I'll relist the item.I am sorry for the inconvenience,but I need an answer asap. The price will be $140.00 ( including the shipping ). Give me an urgent reply if you want to go ahead or not. Thank you!!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 pm 

I am quite unsure on a particular seller: The Sheriff and the Frog. They seem to have quite a selection of stuff, but it has an enormous price range, some things (same item, same condition) starting at $0.99 or $25.99, and their shipping prices are also very high. Add to this that you must very carefully read descriptions of their items (a lot of times they are not selling hardcopies, but pdfs) and even then, you might be getting a ripped-out page, or a photocopy of a ripped-out page...

I have bought from them in the past, but only things like miniatures and the like, so they're not completely outlandish... just, weird, I guess.

Anyone else have concerns with them?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:28 pm 

With sheriffs, frogs, trolls, and toads, there is nothing that they're selling that can't be found much, much, much cheaper elsewhere. For rarer items, a little patience might be required, but the savings, to me, are well worth it.

I am an ex-customer at both of those stores; I just don't have enough money to be setting fire to some of it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 am 

Not shady per se, since it's very upfront. But shipments from Tonya/Titan's games overseas (or to Canada, I assume) have gotten VERY expensive:

NOTE: We do not combine S&H on international packages - you pay 100% of each S&H fee for each item you purchase.  This is a new policy due to the US Postal Rate Changes that took effect on May 14, 2007.

Five magazines would therefore cost you $70....not ,that's not an exaggeration (based on a cost of $14 per item airmail).  Seems awfully steep when a flat rate global priority box is only $32....!

Interesting to see if this causes their sales to dip...I really can't see a lot of international buyers there once the word gets out (and a few inadvertant purchases are made....!)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:50 am 

I don't understand how the US postal service have forced Titan to stop combining shipping for overseas buyers! (Oh - I see now - its not the post people it's Titan being greedy and trying to shift the blame.(Sometimes I am perhaps a little too cynical :roll:  :D ))

Edit - though presumably they would send multiple wins in multiple parcels?  (oooh cynicism tempered with sarcasm!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 am 

gyg wrote:I don't understand how the US postal service have forced Titan to stop combining shipping for overseas buyers! (Oh - I see now - its not the post people it's Titan being greedy and trying to shift the blame.(Sometimes I am perhaps a little too cynical :roll:  :D ))

Edit - though presumably they would send multiple wins in multiple parcels?  (oooh cynicism tempered with sarcasm!)

International bidders...more power to them!  Odd move on Tonya/Titan's part, as overseas customers are a large part of my business and getting larger. Note: I will combine shipping on multiple purchases, and use flat rate boxes if the weight becomes too heavy.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:26 am 

That's just galactically insulting and stupid.

I wonder if any Titan reps still stalk these forums? If so, I'd ask them to log on and attempt to defend that nonsense.

eBay-wise, Tonya and the gang are dangerously close to the rule against circumvention of fees, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people report them.

What about it Tonya? Tonya's dad? Anyone else? Explain how the post office seems to have a set of rules just for you, please.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:33 am 

well again, it just amplifies something i have been advocating about them for a very long time.

anyone living outside the US, who deals with them, is just an utter moron. they are swindlers to the highest degree imo. sure, if they can make money and get away with it, then power to them, but i think its a damn slimy way of doing it and if they had the most precious RPG item on the planet going cheap, i will still eat my own sh1t before buying it (actually well maybe not that extreme but you know what i mean).

i would have bought a great number of items from them before now, but i will be damned if i ever will just on pure principle.

what they are claiming is just utter crap.

again, anyone from anywhere who deals with them, has got to be mad.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:35 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:That's just galactically insulting and stupid.

I wonder if any Titan reps still stalk these forums? If so, I'd ask them to log on and attempt to defend that nonsense.

eBay-wise, Tonya and the gang are dangerously close to the rule against circumvention of fees, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people report them.

What about it Tonya? Tonya's dad? Anyone else? Explain how the post office seems to have a set of rules just for you, please.

you know what X, just for the sake of it, when i get back from work tonight, thats just what i am going to do. i am going to contact the US postal service outright and ask them, and then when i get an answer, i am going to bombard ebay with a list of complaints just for the hell of it. this has really got me pissed and its bang out of order.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:11 am 

Badmike wrote:Note: I will combine shipping on multiple purchases, and use flat rate boxes if the weight becomes too heavy.

Yes you do, and many thanks for doing it. :thumright:

PreviousNext