Shady Dealers
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:34 pm 

This is GREAT! I had no idea WoTC made "promotional CDs" with their modules in PDF format!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

And for only a penny, too? Where do I get mine?

:roll:

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 pm 

The unfortuneate part is that they sold a copy already and exchanged feedback:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:04 pm 

What is the procedure for reporting this crap? Selling of PDFs only hurts those of us who are trying to sell THE REAL DEAL...

:(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:27 pm 

Scroll down to the bottom of the listing.

Click on "Report this Item"

1) Report a copyright violation.

2) Bootlegs and counterfit media

3) Media on recordable formats

When you have made selections on all three parts of the flowchart provided....

Click on email and a message will appear with the auction # pre-loaded.

Hit send and Ebay will know about yet another bootlegger.

When the Acaeum members start to hit them with these reports, the auctions generally get taken down within 24 hours.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:56 pm 

Item reported at 11:56 p.m. EST on Tuesday, 5/22/07.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 am 

I just had a troublesome quandary.

I've been looking for a particular boardgame for the past three years, called Ant Wars. It was designed by Dave Trampier and Jason McAllister, and published as their second game (after Titan). In the past three years I've seen it on ebay only once, about a month after I started looking. I was outbid on that copy but thought, no matter, it will come up again soon.

Of course, I never saw it on ebay again. As well as weekly searches on ebay, I do semi-regular google searches, hoping to find it at one of the big OOP stockists. A year ago I found a hit at a place called Enterprise Games... but it was a cached page, and their copy had long gone.

So today I did a search, and came up with a hit - on a current page - the seller had it in stock, in near mint condition. It was a little pricey, but after three years it would have had to be stupidly pricey to make me hesitate.

What did make me hesitate though was the reseller - Troll and Toad. I've never bought from them before, and after reading numerous anecdotes on here about their service and rather optimistic condition grading vowed that I never would. Of course, vows are all well and good and are easy to keep, until the time comes when they get tested.

So.... do I take a risk with T&T and buy the game, or do I hold on to my principles, pass on it and wait for it to come up again elsewhere?

Before you reply, I should add that its a rhetorical question - my principles lasted for all of 30 seconds. Thats how long it took my desire for the game to overcome them and I placed the order.

I'll let you know how it goes, with regard to T&T service and whether the game is as described. Hopefully I'll be able to report back good things.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:11 am 

mdr003 wrote:I just had a troublesome quandary.

I've been looking for a particular boardgame for the past three years, called Ant Wars. It was designed by Dave Trampier and Jason McAllister, and published as their second game (after Titan). In the past three years I've seen it on ebay only once, about a month after I started looking. I was outbid on that copy but thought, no matter, it will come up again soon.

Of course, I never saw it on ebay again. As well as weekly searches on ebay, I do semi-regular google searches, hoping to find it at one of the big OOP stockists. A year ago I found a hit at a place called Enterprise Games... but it was a cached page, and their copy had long gone.

So today I did a search, and came up with a hit - on a current page - the seller had it in stock, in near mint condition. It was a little pricey, but after three years it would have had to be stupidly pricey to make me hesitate.

What did make me hesitate though was the reseller - Troll and Toad. I've never bought from them before, and after reading numerous anecdotes on here about their service and rather optimistic condition grading vowed that I never would. Of course, vows are all well and good and are easy to keep, until the time comes when they get tested.

So.... do I take a risk with T&T and buy the game, or do I hold on to my principles, pass on it and wait for it to come up again elsewhere?

Before you reply, I should add that its a rhetorical question - my principles lasted for all of 30 seconds. Thats how long it took my desire for the game to overcome them and I placed the order.

I'll let you know how it goes, with regard to T&T service and whether the game is as described. Hopefully I'll be able to report back good things.

Regards

Mike

Generally, the complaint with T&T is that their items are stupidly overpriced....if you found the game for a decent price (for you), you probably benefitted. I don't believe in cutting off your nose to spite your face in this instance.  Now, if it had been a more common item (say, a D&D module) I would have suggested waiting a bit to see if a better deal pops up.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm 

Troll and Toad got the item I purchased to me with no hassles.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:05 pm 

Response from Ypsilanti (sounds like a fukin creature):

We got these items from a forclose sale of a homeless shelter in hillsdale michigan in dec 2006(we got a ton of books,computers and the company DBA-some of the stuff we are posting we have got from other people collections and closing stores here in Ann Arbor))My family moved to ypsilanti michigan in dec 2006-The family who own the shelter had all items owned by the family or the shelter taken by the banks and sold in nov 2006 and were homeless themselfs(including their house in ypsilanti)we are not that family and did not own the shelter(just help with money)I know the family is working with Paypal to pay back any moneys owed,so if you are owed money please contact them at [email protected] and get payed back your cash,it has been slow but they are working on it(we are helping just to  to get pay back ourselfs)take of this what you will we are just helping out
P.S. Please post this on that site for us so we can help anyone who is owed money get payed back faster(they have only the info given to them by Paypal,and not much of that)) thanks-Ypsisales

Obviously bullshit, but you guys who got fuked by them earlier should jockey for the cash back.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:29 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Generally, the complaint with T&T is that their items are stupidly overpriced....if you found the game for a decent price (for you), you probably benefitted. I don't believe in cutting off your nose to spite your face in this instance.  Now, if it had been a more common item (say, a D&D module) I would have suggested waiting a bit to see if a better deal pops up.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike.... now you mention it, you're right - most of the bad press they get is for the asking price on their rare D&D items. I was happy enough to pay what they wanted for the game, so if it gets to me in one piece and is the condition they say, I'll have no complaints.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:34 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Response from Ypsilanti (sounds like a fukin creature):

:)

Actually, it was an okay place to live. I will admit, though, that I got sick of trying to spell it for people after living there about six weeks. From that point, the conversations went like this:

"Where you from, bro?"

"I live in Yp— ... um, Ann Arbor!"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:57 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

BTW, not to change the subject, but avoid this seller at all costs:

eBay listings

This is the same guy as before, back again for the THIRD time now.   I think everyone should also report him to Ebay as well as he is the Yspilanti, Michigan version of jonb,  he steals people's money.  We need to bring this down before he can steal anyone elses money.  It looks as if he already has some completed auctions, but its not to late.  For more info on this guy from his past incarnations, check here in the locked "Shady Dealer" thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1688&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ypsi&start=923

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for keeping this board.  Spotted a few items I wanted that this guy had, but was worried about his lack of feedback.  Came of here, and what do I find but this.

Again: thanks for the service.  (My only complaint is that I wish you'd stop bidding up the auctions that I want, dammit! ;))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 pm 

This guy keeps popping up.

He sells the same tournament module over and over again.

He is also the guy who was selling pink copies of The Compleat Tavern.

I have reported this listing to Ebay as a copyright/counterfeits violation.

Others might consider doing so as well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm 

Just a quick update on Troll and Toad. I bought a game from them last week (Ant Wars), with some misgivings, given their reputation. I'm happy to report that there were no problems at all - I got the game today, after it was posted the day after I placed the order. It was securely packaged, and it was in the stated condition.

I even think the price I paid ($140) wasn't too bad - the game was near-mint, unpunched, in the original envelope. The only other copy I've seen was on ebay 3 years ago - on that occasion I was outbid at $85 for a punched copy without envelope. So maybe $140 is about right.

So, if T&T have something you're after and the price is OK - I can recommend them.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm 

How was the shipping from them?  I've been tempted a few times to pick up one or two items from them, but the shipping costs always put me off.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:06 am 

I forgot to mention - shipping was OK. They charged me $18.60 for USPS airmail to Australia. Actual cost was $15.90, so $2.70 for handling/box etc is pretty reasonable.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 am 

The Unspeakable Oath 1 - 6

WARNING:

There were 10 bids higher than mine.

Yet I just got a "Second Chance" offer, both via eBay and directly by an alleged seller.

(Photocopies, anyone?)

Stinks to high heaven... :/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:25 am 

[ the same response as I put in the Non-TSR Items thread ]  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext