Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 104123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:59 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:I need advice, please.  I received a shipment.  The packaging was pretty shoddy, and the box was torn, but the hole was not big enough for anything to have slipped out.  But 7 books were missing, and of course they were the main ones I wanted.  I asked the seller if they had been accidentally left out, and was told that they were on the side of the box and had been included.  This seller has 100% feedback and I really don't think they are trying to rip me off, but the fact remains that those books did not arrive.  Shipping insurance was not offered on this auction, but 7 day money refund was, with me paying the shipping.  I emailed the seller back that I would be returning the items I received for a refund.  I have never had something missing, and need to know what to do next?  Do I have to file a complaint with ebay?  With paypal?

You need to file a dispute with paypal if you don't hear back from the seller right away. Don't let the seller stall you out or let a 100% feedback rating fool you.

There is no way to tell if the seller actually sent the items and frankly it is the sellers problem, not yours. Paypal should refund your money, make sure to push them for it if they won't, but will probably require you to send back the remaining items. Hopefully the seller will be reasonable and quick to respond.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I've had shippers with 10,000 transactions throw everything ina box with one piece of tape!!!

Mike B.

I just had an order from noble knight arrive with the bottom of the priority box open. The glue didn't hold which happens from time to time with priority boxes.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:01 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
You need to file a dispute with paypal if you don't hear back from the seller right away. Don't let the seller stall you out or let a 100% feedback rating fool you.

There is no way to tell if the seller actually sent the items and frankly it is the sellers problem, not yours. Paypal should refund your money, make sure to push them for it if they won't, but will probably require you to send back the remaining items. Hopefully the seller will be reasonable and quick to respond.

Why would you counsel someone to report it to PayPal immediately?  As long as she files the claim within 45 days of the auctions end she shouldnt have any problems.  And if the seller doesnt respond to the claim, she gets refunded automatically.

Sure it is the sellers problem and they should rectify it, but telling someone to immediately file a claim with PayPal is a bit extreme.  Give it a few days before jumping to the conclusion that one little problem makes a seller a rip-off artist.  Even the best sellers on Ebay make mistakes once in a while.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Why would you counsel someone to report it to PayPal immediately?  As long as she files the claim within 45 days of the auctions end she shouldnt have any problems.  And if the seller doesnt respond to the claim, she gets refunded automatically.

Sure it is the sellers problem and they should rectify it, but telling someone to immediately file a claim with PayPal is a bit extreme.  Give it a few days before jumping to the conclusion that one little problem makes a seller a rip-off artist.  Even the best sellers on Ebay make mistakes once in a while.

I didn't say immediately. I said to report it to paypal if the seller didn't respond right away. There are two levels of reports at paypal, disputes and claims. A dispute does nothing except make the seller realize they need to respond. It isn't jumping the gun to get a seller to move their ass and take care of a situation.

So, how much time of that 45 days is already gone by the time a buyer receives their package. One week, two weeks or more. I believe the normal length for the dispute process is ten days. That 45 days can pass pretty quickly, and why should a buyer have their funds tied up for 45 days waiting for a seller to respond.

If a seller does not respond to an email within a few days, file a dispute, if they don't respond to the dispute then upgrade it to a claim and let paypal sort it out.

I've been a good seller on ebay for 11 years and I keep an eye on my packages through tracking and respond to my buyers right away when there is trouble. Things happen but bad sellers use that excuse all the time. Things happen like ripping of customers, over charging for shipping, shoddy packaging, not responding to emails, not wanting to issue refunds, not sending what a customer ordered or failing to tell the real condition of an item. I'm sick to death of bad sellers. I've been running into one after another on ebay.

Once this guy heard that items were missing the first thing he should have done was to offer a refund. So, no, I don't think starting the lengthy paypal process right away is jumping the gun on this, and I don't think the seller deserves much slack.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:58 am 

Badmike wrote:I've had shippers with 10,000 transactions throw everything ina box with one piece of tape!!!

They threw in a free piece of tape, and you're still bitching?   Customers these days! :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:14 am 

deimos3428 wrote:They threw in a free piece of tape, and you're still bitching?   Customers these days! :lol:

A piece of tape?!  Why in my day we'd have killed for a piece of tape.  We'd get unsealed boxes with instructions scrawled along the flaps telling the postman to "hold here", we would. :P

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:45 am 

I think what Mike's complaining about is that he's got at least two nipples to cover.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:01 am 

Thanks for your words of wisdom.  And the thought that perhaps Mike has more than two nipples.  I have so far stuck with messaging thru ebay.  The seller is now offering me a partial refund.

"You paid for the whole lot, so I am willing to provide a partial refund. I think its kind of strange that the only things you "really' wanted are missing. So you decide what you would like to do. "

There's something about the tone of that email... so throwing discretion to the winds -

Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26fvi%3D1

The missing items are the all the "Gygax TSR booklets" in the picture (second column, third down).  And yes, they are the only things I really wanted although obviously I can unload the other stuff.  So now I really need your expertise.  Should I go for a partial refund?  If so, how much?  Or just cut my losses (the $20 I already paid in shipping plus whatever it would cost me to ship it back).

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:34 am 

This case seems very strange to me. I would see if you can get advice from Ebay.  The items missing are clearly the valuable ones in the lot. If they were not in the box, the Seller is responsible (did the box look like it had been tampered with? - that is the only other possibility, someone saw there were D&D items and took them out or the Seller left them out, the latter being way more likely).

To have one book missing is understandable, but all seven - sounds to me like the Seller has struck a separate deal with someone wanting to buy just those books.

Given the tone of the return email, I would not give an inch. Take it all the way with PayPal and Ebay. If they offered a 7 day refund, they are legally bound to give it. A partial refund would have to be at least $100, because the TSR books are half the value in that lot.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:45 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:To have one book missing is understandable, but all seven - sounds to me like the Seller has struck a separate deal with someone wanting to buy just those books.

That's what I'm thinking as well.  Someone came along, told the seller that the OD&D booklets were valuable, and offered them a lump sum to sell them just those particular booklets.

Seller figured "I'll just say those were lost in the mail, besides they're getting all that other stuff so they can't complain too much" and took both sums. :roll:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:14 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:Thanks for your words of wisdom.  And the thought that perhaps Mike has more than two nipples.  I have so far stuck with messaging thru ebay.  The seller is now offering me a partial refund.

"You paid for the whole lot, so I am willing to provide a partial refund. I think its kind of strange that the only things you "really' wanted are missing. So you decide what you would like to do. "

There's something about the tone of that email... so throwing discretion to the winds -

Here's the auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The missing items are the all the "Gygax TSR booklets" in the picture (second column, third down).  And yes, they are the only things I really wanted although obviously I can unload the other stuff.  So now I really need your expertise.  Should I go for a partial refund?  If so, how much?  Or just cut my losses (the $20 I already paid in shipping plus whatever it would cost me to ship it back).

I think it is clear that the seller is saying you are trying to rip him off. So either A) He's lying. B) Whoever put the package in the box stole them or C) They were lost or stolen in shipping.

Does this seller handle RPGs? All their feedback seems to be for sports cards. This was primarily a seller account since most of the feedback is from buyers. They have nothing up for sale at the moment.

Were these items sold by someone just using this account? Were they sold on consignment for someone else? I have run into people who have 100% ratings driven into the ground when a friend or child gets hold of their account and starts selling on it.

The heart of this collection is missing. The wraith overlod is a nice module but it is 3 hole punched. Everything else seems run of the mill.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:"You paid for the whole lot, so I am willing to provide a partial refund. I think its kind of strange that the only things you "really' wanted are missing. So you decide what you would like to do. "

After reading that my gut feeling is the same as everyone else's....and that the seller withheld the other books because they found out that they might be worth more on their own.  And after reading the email snippet above the seller is trying to turn it around and make you look like the bad guy.

If it was me, I would ask for a full refund and ship the crap back to the seller.  If they tried to block the refund I would see about doing a chargeback through my credit card company.  And not to mention I would neg the hell out of the seller.  Regardless of what you do, just make sure and cover your ass so the seller has no way to deny your refund.  Track the shipment back to them and make sure they have it before dropping the item not received claim.

I might even let my cats pee on the box before I shipped it back.  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:15 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:Thanks for your words of wisdom.  And the thought that perhaps Mike has more than two nipples.  I have so far stuck with messaging thru ebay.  The seller is now offering me a partial refund.

I have three nipples....that I've located so far...... 8O

Jo my feeling is the same as everyone else. The guy is behaving a little to oddly.  Ship it all back for a full refund, or hold out for at least half.  Remember you have the final say on whether or not his feedback stays at 100%.

When you are a seller things like this happen and you just have to nut up.  I have refunded two packages this month already. It's just the cost of doing business....he should know that by now.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 am 

After following you folks' good advice, and mostly ignoring the note of suspicion in the seller's emails, we reached an amicable solution.  Today I received a $50 refund (which is the amount I specified), so no great loss on either side.  Thanks for the shoulders!  Boy, I'm glad that's over with.  As to feedback, I guess I just won't leave any.  I hate to give five stars for that packing job and missing merchandise.  But the seller did rectify the problem as I requested, so don't want to ding her reputation.  Caveat emptor.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 pm 

It looks like I finally have my first 'lost in the post'. I would not worry about it as I have had over 100 packages sent from the US without any mishaps - perhaps it was bound to happen eventually - but it was one of the best deals I've got in ages.

On 29 September I bought 6 Dungeon mags from a Seller. They sent them in two lots of three on the same day in flat rate envelopes. On 8 October only one of them arrived - the package with numbers: 11, 23 and 30. The other package containing numbers 1, 2 and 6 (which I got for $21, $11 and $6 respectively) did not arrive and has still not arrived.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Seller has quickly offered me a refund, which is probably due to her being an excellent Seller, but I can't help wondering if I am the victim of someone else buying it after the auction fact. Most Sellers with Dungeon #1's in their shops have them listed for well over $100 (which I think is ridiculous). This Seller does seem top notch. Do I have any alternatives but to grin and bear it?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

It looks like I finally have my first 'lost in the post'. I would not worry about it as I have had over 100 packages sent from the US without any mishaps - perhaps it was bound to happen eventually - but it was one of the best deals I've got in ages.

On 29 September I bought 6 Dungeon mags from a Seller. They sent them in two lots of three on the same day in flat rate envelopes. On 8 October only one of them arrived - the package with numbers: 11, 23 and 30. The other package containing numbers 1, 2 and 6 (which I got for $21, $11 and $6 respectively) did not arrive and has still not arrived.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 8026971111 7&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

The Seller has quickly offered me a refund, which is probably due to her being an excellent Seller, but I can't help wondering if I am the victim of someone else buying it after the auction fact. Most Sellers with Dungeon #1's in their shops have them listed for well over $100 (which I think is ridiculous). This Seller does seem top notch. Do I have any alternatives but to grin and bear it?

If it were me I would very politely and tactfully ask the seller to send me a copy of the shipping receipt from the post office and/or tracking receipt if they print postage from home.  I think any reputable seller would produce that with no questions asked.  On the other hand, if they refuse or give an excuse that they don't have any shipping documents then you pretty much can figure out what is going on.

A quick offer of a full refund makes the transaction sound a bit shady.  I beleive they should provide documentation that the items shipped before offering the refund.  I've had 2 transactions in the past month that were somewhat similar.  After waiting for a reasonable period of time I emailed the sellers.  When they didn't answer the emails I filed a Paypal claim.  Within 3 days of the claim both sellers issue full refunds with little or no explanation.  It was obvious to me that I won the stuff at a low price and they just didn't want to complete the transaction.   :evil:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:44 pm 

!!! I emailed the Seller, and she gave me all the details she could - and now just five minutes ago. Special delivery mis-routed parcel - it arrived! So I remain lucky and highest recommendations for the Seller. I feel remiss for posting this now. Thanks for your comments though, useful suggestions on how to deal with Sellers when things go awry. I think with the slowdown - we'll see a dip in the market, with expensive items sometimes going for less.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:!!! I emailed the Seller, and she gave me all the details she could - and now just five minutes ago. Special delivery mis-routed parcel - it arrived! So I remain lucky and highest recommendations for the Seller. I feel remiss for posting this now. Thanks for your comments though, useful suggestions on how to deal with Sellers when things go awry. I think with the slowdown - we'll see a dip in the market, with expensive items sometimes going for less.

Just to add something to this for future reference. Despite you getting the items in the mail(which is obviously good news :)) thid time, under the circumstance that the items didn't actually arrive.

I'd suggest check out the sellers other feedback to see if they have transactions in the past that might reflect a pattern of behavior of people being refunded and leaving positive feedback despite not receiving the items.  Chances are good that if they would have screwed you(because someone offered more after the auction or the seller just wasn't happy with the final price) that they would have done the same thing before to someone else as well.

BTW, I actually had those on my watch list and if I would have known that they were going to go that cheaply, I'd have probably tossed a bid in thier myself.  :wink:  Good wins there.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 104123 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 102103104