Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 104123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 102103104
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 am 

g026r wrote:Which volume are they in?

It's appearing that Vol. II is the hardest to get though, as I've seen several people mentioning that they have I & III, but not II.  Dammit, means I'll have to fight more for it. ;)

Andrew,
I've been meaning to ask you, was that Armed Services Edition of The Dunwich Horror in as good condition as it looked in the photos on the eBay listing?

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:07 am 

Jason:
I'll dig out the photos from the listing tomorrow and do a quick compare, as I can't recall off the top of my head.

It's got wear to it, as expected, but I can't recall if it was much more than shown in the photos.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am 

Right, so having dug out the pictures and checked:

I'd say it's a little worse, but not much.  Bit more spine cracking than it appeared, and a bit rough on the corners.

Main flaw that wasn't readily apparent is some "rippling" near the spine -- likely just caused by age and the cheap cheap binding that these things were produced with.

Overall, I'm pleased with it and can't complain on the condition.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 am 

Thanks! I have seen many listed (usually in poor condition).

That one (from the pictures) appeared to be in the best shape of any that I had seen for awhile.

Nice little piece of Lovecraft history!   :)

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 am 

It's appearing that Vol. II is the hardest to get though, as I've seen several people mentioning that they have I & III, but not II.

That's funny. I have Volume II but not I or III.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Does the write-up for Nyarlalthotep have any information about the"masks" or "thousand-faces" that appears in the later Chaosium CoC books?

Yep. "THIS GOD GLORIES IN APPEARING AS SOME ORDINARY MONSTER, FIGHTING AS THAT CREATURE"

g026r wrote:Which volume are they in?

Vol. I, 1977. More Lovecraftian beasties appear in the 1980 RQ Gateway Bestiary.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 pm 

New candidate for bad dealer on E-Bay.

I won an auction for a Box Set of Griffin Island in used but complete condition. The only reason I bid was the price was VERY low and the listing was ending soon. I already had a copy.

I won it for just $11.00, which is about one third its likely value compared to recent E-Bay auctions of RuneQuest items, including that box set.

OK Fast forward to today.

I get a package (Envelope actually) from the seller. It has a book one I had never seen before and certainly would never bid on.

It is a Psionics Book for DarkSun. Psionic Artifact of Athas.
Boy am I steamed as soon as I realized what had happened.

So I write them and tell them there is some sort of mess up. They immediately write back ( 8O ) and say that they have had some mailing problems and that they had refunded my Paypal payment and they finished by asked me to send the book back to them.

Okie Dokie I thought. Sometimes those things happen.....

I mailed back.

"OK, so where is my Griffin Island Box Set? I still want it."

Waiting for the response to that last note.

Apparently what happened was that some boxes were
mislabeled. There were 13 items I shipped out, but once we
discoved there was a problem, we were not sure which items
were shipped incorrectly. Once the person who received your
box contacts me and sends the item back, I will contact you
directly and if you are still interested, we can work out an
arrangment.

Once again, I am very sorry for the mistake and appreciate your
understanding.

- mhmoretti

Again FAST response.
They sent a note back while I was writting the post above......

I am not going to slash them yet, they seem to have simply GOOFED up.
It happens.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:16 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I am not going to slash them yet, they seem to have simply GOOFED up.
It happens.

You're on a roll with sellers, ain'tcha?

You and I should start posting about our bad seller experiences on eBay.  Modules without pages, books with ink-stamps and writing, items simply not being sent, inadequate packing . . . the past three months have been hellish.  Whenever I get an envelope or package, I start wondering what will be wrong with it.  Usually I feel relief, but sometimes I just sigh.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:13 pm 

Everyone, including some of the best sellers on Ebay, make mistakes once in a while.  The good ones make up for their mistakes.  I don't recommend posting a sellers ID here until they have completed their attempt to screw you over.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:34 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Silly me.  This is an excellent copy of Menzoberranzan, but look closely at the photograph.

I didn't see it either...but the light has been carefully adjusted so that a glare covers up the hole punched in the front box cover.  See it now?

Probably should have looked harder, but made assumptions.

I don't really intend to make an issue of it, but I contacted him to tell him that failing to mention the hole in the cover...and deliberately concealing it with a glare of light...was not ethical.

It is his answer that has me torqued:

Hole not in box when mailed, happened during shipping.

Flat out lie.  :evil:

Not only is the hole in the box visible if you know what you're looking at, the shipping box was excellently packed and was not damaged in any way.

The interior contents are excellent...complete and in great shape, in fact.

I should have looked harder at the picture, but the seller also had some sort of ethical duty to mention a major piece of damage.  Right?  Or, am I just totally off base?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Hole not in box when mailed, happened during shipping.

Seller talk like caveman. Mark blast with negative. Xaxaxe block.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:47 pm 

I haven't ever posted a negative feedback and I don't know if I will now.

This guy has annoyed me with his duplicity.  

I should have looked harder at the photograph.

A halfway believable reply would have sufficed.  Something like:

"Yeah, the box is damaged, but the contexts are good.  The photo was not intentionally misleading, and the damage can be seen if you look."

The seller does offer refunds within seven days and his shipping price was just over $2.....so just a semi-honest shyster reply would have been OK.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:59 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Hole not in box when mailed, happened during shipping.

Nuke him from space.

I should have looked harder at the picture, but the seller also had some sort of ethical duty to mention a major piece of damage.  Right?  Or, am I just totally off base?

Is this that ethics-morals debate again?   :D

Mentioning the gaping hole is something a nice seller does; relying on the picture is what a standard seller does; lying is what a shady seller does.

Using a deceptive picture, neglecting to mention damage, lying in an e-mail . . . should he be rewarded with positive feedback?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:03 am 

Nope.. lay down a neg or at best a neutral. Don't like shysters get away with it or they'll keep doing it again.. and again.. and again.

I recently bought an item only to have an empty box shipped to me. It was funny, the post office even stamped it "box shipped without contents" when they mailed it. You'd think they open the box and ask the guy if he really wanted to ship an empty box.

I got my $$$ back but still.. he took my time & effort that could've been spent on something else. I don't care much for eBay pushing the multiple ID concept. Too easy to rip someone off.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:45 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Mentioning the gaping hole is something a nice seller does; relying on the picture is what a standard seller does; lying is what a shady seller does.

Perfectly summed up.

Mark, this guy tried to get one by you; that needs to be mentioned. Plus, future buyers will thank you when they see the feedback comments and can make more informed decisions about this guy.

Leaving a (deserved) negative does not make anyone a bad person.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:00 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I haven't ever posted a negative feedback and I don't know if I will now.

This guy has annoyed me with his duplicity.  

I should have looked harder at the photograph.

A halfway believable reply would have sufficed.  Something like:

"Yeah, the box is damaged, but the contexts are good.  The photo was not intentionally misleading, and the damage can be seen if you look."

The seller does offer refunds within seven days and his shipping price was just over $2.....so just a semi-honest shyster reply would have been OK.

Mark , at least lay down a neutral. This dude was deliberately misleading, and then he lied about it later. If nothing else take a hammer to his DSRs....seriously, this is the EXACT reason for the "no retaliating neg feedback" stance of Ebay now.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:04 pm 

Solomon Kane says: "Smite the infidel, oh Critic of Forms!"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:11 am 

Got a new one.

Ebay handle Ssearp

Wasn't much, just bought an Oriental Adventures from him:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

When I got the book in the mail, pages 3-12 had come detached from the spine, and fell onto the floor when I opened the book. No problem, right? Send him an email, right? Three emails, a PayPal dispute and then an open claim later, zero response, zero assistance, zero contact from this asshat.

Block him, block him, don't buy from him, and frankly, don't let him buy any of your stuff. Who knows what else he'll do??

Zen

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 104123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 102103104