Shady Dealers
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:53 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Both.

Stupid, I'd agree with; but shady?

Okay, why?  It's not a .pdf, not a bunch of DVD's. not a bunch of CD's with books on them, not photocopies, not audio recordings of the books.
On the face of it, it is what it is--one random hardback book (at minimum) plus the other books (up to 10 total) as modules/softbacks.

I'm not being sarcastic here; I don't quite understand . . . unless you're saying that because it's a random collection of books/modules, there's no way these can be checked for condition (which would concern me under the circumstances).

THe reason I am puzzled, is that there have been auctions in the past where one could bid on an amount of random dice--usually one pound--but the description said that it was a random selection already.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:
Stupid, I'd agree with; but shady?

Okay, why?

Well, to my way of thinking, presenting a picture with a nice looking copy of Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead on the top might mislead some buyers into thinking that what they might be buying is of similar quality/value.
Buyers should also note the fact that the listing does not mention condition. Sounds like a nice way for the seller to reduce the size of their slush pile.  :P

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:47 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:
Well, to my way of thinking, presenting a picture with a nice looking copy of Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead on the top might mislead some buyers into thinking that what they might be buying is of similar quality/value.
Buyers should also note the fact that the listing does not mention condition. Sounds like a nice way for the seller to reduce the size of their slush pile.  :P

You're right about that; as many posts on here have been along the lines of, "the photo doesn't match what I received", I should've figured that out.  And I do agree: the question of how can condition be checked in a random pile, none of which are seen beforehand:

sleepy719 wrote: there's no way these can be checked for condition (which would concern me under the circumstances).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:35 am 

I can't sell any of the "Van Richten" books for more than $3-4 each...so I think that is a pretty fair representation.

Just the presence of that on the top - if that is the "best" in the lot - would keep me from bidding.

Just my two cents...

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:41 am 

I can't get interested in the Ravenloft materials et al.

My players are not afraid of vampires...or werewolves, Frankenstein's Monster, Abbot and Costello, mummies, the Three Stooges or any of the undead/movie monster category...other than Godzilla.

I thought that Ravenloft was a decent module...I needed to soup it up a bit in order to challenge my players...but a decent module.

It could have been improved by a two-dimensional map of the castle, rather than the 3D Escher drawing actually included.

A large of number of the Von Richten guides and other Ravenloft materials have been sitting on the shelf at the Tacoma, Washington Half-Price Books for months now...unwanted and unloved.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:02 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
A large of number of the Von Richten guides and other Ravenloft materials have been sitting on the shelf at the Tacoma, Washington Half-Price Books for months now...unwanted and unloved.

Mark   8)

Yep...and its in crap condition and overpriced too. How often do you go there? We may have crossed paths in the store without even knowing it  8)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 pm 

You guys don't wear your Acaeum badges? I wear mine all the time ...  :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:38 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:You guys don't wear your Acaeum badges? I wear mine all the time ...  :wink:

Is it one of those scrolling LED badges? :-)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7c54/

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:18 pm 

Two idiots just made for each other:

The bitter asshat who added the pathetic "credit the Acaeum" speech to all of his listings ...

(discussed here)

... currently has as a high bidder the guy who negged me after he decided that he'd tell me exactly how and when I'd be selling my items to him.

(discussed here)

And the item up for sale is Dragon #1, so it's not like it's just going to slip under the radar.

(Item that neither one of them deserves)

Ah, I love a nice train-wreck ... I hope these two clowns get to do some business together. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:01 pm 

Xaxaxe, your buddy added us to his "About Me" page!

I sometimes use descriptions of items from a web site, so I need to include that website's name here
(some of the self imposed "police" over there get a bit testy if I don't mention the site)

http://www.acaeum.com

Wasn't that nice of him?

:? (ok, so I know he's not your "buddy"...)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:04 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote: :? (ok, so I know he's not your "buddy"...)

Actually, he's blocked me.

It's the first and only time I've ever gotten the blocked message in nearly nine years of eBay-ing. Seriously, I sort of always wondered what the idiots that I had blocked saw when they tried to bid ... now I know.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:07 pm 

Wow. Never could understand why people will block even a good eBayer. Interesting, though, how people's attitudes work....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:15 pm 

- It's the first and only time I've ever gotten the blocked message in nearly nine years of eBay-ing. Seriously, I sort of always wondered what the idiots that I had blocked saw when they tried to bid ... now I know.  :)

did they block everyone on acaeum?? :D :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:19 pm 

This guy is acting like Acaeum members are some kind of political organization.  

Maybe it's Perelman ....

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 pm 

I reported all of his auctions to Ebay for defamatory comments.  His tone is disingenuous and petty considering the circumstances.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm 

Wow  8O

I love this site, but every day when I read the posts, it reminds me to mind my p's and q's while selling RPG materials on eBay...

:D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:59 pm 

I'm a pretty easy going guy but arrogance really pisses me off and this guy is full of it.  He starts by using the sites information and claiming it as his own (by not acknowledging the Acaeum).  So now he does acknowledge the source but only to use it as a mockery.  Muppet if I ever saw one.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:04 pm 

Mars wrote:I reported all of his auctions to Ebay for defamatory comments.  His tone is disingenuous and petty considering the circumstances.

Well done.  I appreciate your doing this.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

PreviousNext