Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 104123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:07 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Does anyone want to fess up to this quote?

Mike B.

Hmm... judging by the avatar, the user location, and the fine turn of phrase, it has all the hallmarks of vermillion - sorry, Mandalaymoon.

I replied to the thread and thought I was being hard on Tonya - but I wish I could go edit my post and go for the jugular.

Nice work!

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:39 pm 

Badmike wrote:
In Tonya's defense, her insane shipping prices, and clear disinterest in shipping anything out of the country (evidenced by the sky high shipping charges), are clearly marked on her auctions. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for those that cannot be bothered to read the auction terms before bidding.

Mike B.

Quite right - a few of the posters on the BGG site have said similar.
Build the postage into your bid, then if you win you can f**k her with a one star rating!!!

(Just had a thought - with the hidden bidder thing ebay have now it might just be possible to be user "f**k" - how cool would that be? :lol:  :roll:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm 

Mike, Did you notice in one of her replys.. "I discounted the price to you since you were in Canada, and not, say, Australia.".. The fees charged by titan/tonya are so overpriced as to be comical.. I have (in the distant past now) ordered some items and have been severly overcharged time and agian.. I have said on many occasions that I would have bought a rather large quantity of items through them if their shipping rates were reasonable.. I suppose a lot of people have actually voted with their feet and this might be one of the reasons that titan games has sold all there online inventory to Aaron (who I would deal with in a hearbeat)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:05 pm 

I think the matter is completely the buyer's fault.  The shipping charges were clearly labeled and he could have easily just sent a message asking about the shipping before he bid.

That being said, Tonya was very rude.

As an aside, I find high shipping prices to be completely counterproductive and lead to less money and less revenue in the long run.  As a seller, my mission is to get repeat buyers and buyers who purchase multiple books and games at the same time.  High shipping or free shipping tends to discourage multiple purchases even if the base price is low.  Take the following scenarios:

1)  High initial shipping cost plus high per item costs.  Let's say $10 for the first module plus $8 each additional module.  Even if the seller starts all modules at $1, he's probably not going to get many bids.  And unless the modules are something special, he's probably not going to have too many people purchase more than 1 off him at the same time.

2)  High initial shipping plus low per item costs.  Let's say $10 for the first module plus 50 cents each additional module and a starting price of $1 per module.  In this case, what's likely to happen is that the buyer of the first module now has a huge competitive advantage over other buyers.  His marginal cost for the next additional module is $1.50 whereas the marginal cost for other buyers is $11.  What's likely to happen is that one buyer buys lots of items at $1 or close to that and the seller takes a bath on his sale.

3)  Free shipping.  This works fine for an auction format, but not really for a store.  The seller has to raise his prices high enough to compensate for the free shipping, and that's a turnoff for people who want to make multiple purchases.  For example, if he has a bunch of items that normally sell for $5 plus $3 shipping, he has to list them at $8 with free shipping.  Someone who might have purchased several items at $5 with a reasonable combined shipping policy probably won't do so if every item is $8.  Now it's possible that the 15% discount that a seller gets for high DSRs might lower what he charges, but almost certainly not enough to make up for the shipping.

4)  Reasonable initial plus reasonable additional shipping costs.  This is the best of all worlds.  People have no hesitation in purchasing from you, they have incentive to purchase multiple items at once, and they're happier overall.  Auctions will still be competitive since the reasonable initial shipping cost doesn't freeze new entrants out of the bidding.

Of course the art of being a seller is to determine what constitutes "reasonable" shipping.  Every seller has to make that determination for themselves and see what works best.  I usually charge for media rate $3 for a softcover, $3.50 for a hardcover, or $4 for a box set plus 50 cents for each additional softcover or $1 for each additional hardcover or box set.  This is roughly enough to cover my costs.  Although the recent ebay fee hikes plus the upcoming post office postage increases might force me to raise them a little.   :(

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Hmm... judging by the avatar, the user location, and the fine turn of phrase, it has all the hallmarks of vermillion - sorry, Mandalaymoon.

I'll bet you $20 it wasn't him ...  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'll bet you $20 it wasn't him ...  :wink:

Yeah, sorry Xax - I posted then went out to the PO. While in the car I realised I'd put Mandalay when clearly I meant yourself. No idea why the switch, just a brain hiccup on my part.

BTW, I looked in your profile on BGG what caused the rant?

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 pm 

Oh, I rant over there all the time. My basic thesis can be boiled down to my belief that that site is jammed with complete hypocrites. Every so often I'll pop out of the woodwork and point out something that's particularly galling, but I'm not a power user or anything; I've made like 100 total posts in five years.

I actually liked BGG much better before they added forums. I need to stick to my recent resolution to ignore the "general" forums (the game-specific forums are fine) and just use the site as it was first intended: as nothing more than a halfway decent database.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:56 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Oh, I rant over there all the time. My basic thesis can be boiled down to my belief that that site is jammed with complete hypocrites. Every so often I'll pop out of the woodwork and point out something that's particularly galling, but I'm not a power user or anything; I've made like 100 total posts in five years.

I actually liked BGG much better before they added forums. I need to stick to my recent resolution to ignore the "general" forums (the game-specific forums are fine) and just use the site as it was first intended: as nothing more than a halfway decent database.

Wow. I just  browsed around on the forums for awhile. There are some SERIOUS tools on that site.  Can't wait to see what kind of nonsense will pop up once they get RPG Game Geek up someday... 8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 am 

Oh, it is a haven for tools. I could list about 10,000 examples, but I'll just sum it up by saying that the worst of the BGG power-users have way too much time on their hands and feel a continual compulsion to remind everyone how smart they are.

Overall, BGG's general forums are next to useless; the better way to use the site is to ignore the front page altogether and just visit the game-specific pages.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 am 

mdr003 wrote: the hallmarks of vermillion - sorry, Mandalaymoon.

Yeah, sorry about possible confusion on the screen name change but I had a few people use the alternative spelling of vermilion with two Ls that caused confusion for email and Paypal so I changed it to something simpler.  Plus vermilion sounds close to vermin, which is a rather nasty association...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:38 pm 

So Tonya has added a rant to her AboutMe page about the guy who started the thread over at BGG:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... itan-games

Always the sign of a good seller: being a vindictive bitch who has to get the last word in.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:So Tonya has added a rant to her AboutMe page about the guy who started the thread over at BGG:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... itan-games

Always the sign of a good seller: being a vindictive bitch who has to get the last word in.

You know....kind of a different take on it.....

I went ahead and blocked the buyer in that incident, Madorosh.

Reason being:  A flat rate priority box to Canada is $23.   The initial shipping Tonya quoted was $23.  Not to mention the guy didn't take the trouble to actually READ her listing and find out the terrible shipping deals Tonya has for international customers. Frankly, I'd rip the guy I new one also. What the hell is the guy bitching about...that he can't read?   I'd hate to have the guy with that kind of attitude rip me on his About Me page....

I'd advise other sellers to block the guy also....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:04 pm 

So Tonya has added a rant to her AboutMe page about the guy who started the thread over at BGG:

After law school I plan to work for the firm Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 pm 

Blocked madorosh.  Thanks!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 pm 

Some mixed/negative reviews on here about Titan Games to say the least.  I am considering bidding on some low value items on eBay from them.  Is the consensus that Titan Games is someone to stay away from (like Cougar), or are there some good, some bad experiences?  Again, we aren't talking expensive stuff, but I also don't want to spend $10-20 and find I am looking for the same item again in a week.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13 am 

Be prepared to take it up the can in shipping, and you'll be OK.
Personally, I would never buy from them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:11 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Be prepared to take it up the can in shipping, and you'll be OK.
Personally, I would never buy from them.

I always account for shipping before bidding, and IIRC, they are offerring free shipping (maybe in response to earlier criticisms).  I am concerned that what is described is what is sold.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:44 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
I always account for shipping before bidding, and IIRC, they are offerring free shipping (maybe in response to earlier criticisms).  I am concerned that what is described is what is sold.

I can't recall any issues regarding items not being as described - just about every complaint I've seen is about shipping costs and attitude.

Regards

Mike

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 104123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 102103104