Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 104123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:53 am 

FormCritic wrote:The above is one of those strange phenomena that involves the first post appearing after the second, accidental post.  Although the X to delete the post is present, the site will not allow me to delete it because the late arriving first post counts as an "answer."

Sure! :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 am 

Strange, that never happens to me.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:36 am 

Strange, that never happens to me..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 am 

FormCritic wrote:
The "shipping gouge" is standard practice at the moment.

I only have a real problem with it if the seller does not post his shipping prices.

The Ebay feature that allows a buyer to search "lowest price + shipping" is a nice improvement.  Saves me having to search through modules being sold for 99 cents, + $6.99 shipping.

Very good for internal shipping, I suppose.

But for international buyers, it's completely useless. First because very few sellers state international shipping rates, and second because even when they do, the information is taken from the USPS website and it's completely different from the actual costs.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:03 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Strange, that never happens to me..

See you ruined it with the extra '.' but I was waiting for it. :thumleft:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 pm 

guerret wrote:But for international buyers, it's completely useless. First because very few sellers state international shipping rates, and second because even when they do, the information is taken from the USPS website and it's completely different from the actual costs.

Then there are those who list one price in the shipping calc and another in the auction.

Came across one seller a while back who had flat-rate envelopes listed as the shipping for everything (even those things that obviously wouldn't fit in an envelope), and then in the auction description mentioned that he'd only ship via the flat rate box at more than double the listed shipping.

Had I actually bothered to bid on those items, I wouldn't have been surprised to have had them arrive in other methods that cost less.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 pm 

I've seen a few auctions like this lately:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

accept paypal but not out of country.  I'm guessing they don't want any chance of a chargeback.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:24 am 

eBay listings

I have to bring this thread to new life to point this out. This guy is the Titan-Games sort, selling the items at a price and then overcharging for shipping.

I made a purchase from him, a single light module, and paid $15.40 for shipping. It was the cheapest option (first class mail), the other two were Priority Mail for $25 and Express Mail for $35.50. I am used to paying a shipping price around 5 and 10 dollars for a single module purchased from the US with Priority Mail, so I had the impression the prices were overbloated, but since they were the stated prices I paid without objecting.

When the item arrived (after a LOOONG time, since the shipment was the cheapest one), the postal stamp had a price of $5.40 written on it, ten whopping dollars less than the seller had asked me. When I asked for explanations, this is the reply I got (excerpt):

The item shiping is under the price billed for shipping the item. It doesn't include new packing materials and I also personally charge $5 for completing Customs Declaration and standing at the post office.

Be warned if you want to buy from him.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 am 

He charges $5 for standing at the Post Office???  :!:  This is perhaps the most idiotic remark I have ever read  8O  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:26 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:He charges $5 for standing at the Post Office???  :!:  This is perhaps the most idiotic remark I have ever read  8O  :?

yes i agree. part of doing business that if you ask me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:57 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:He charges $5 for standing at the Post Office???  :!:  This is perhaps the most idiotic remark I have ever read  8O  :?

Hey it could be worse.  I thought attorneys were bad but project managers are right up there.  The PM's in my company charge clients for thinking about the project.  So if they are at home and they are sitting there thinking about the work that they are going to be doing the next day, they find a way to factor that time into the client's invoice.  And if I get a call from a client with a problem, no matter what, I should find a way to charge them.  Even if I am only on the phone with them for two minutes and I dont actually do anything to help them, I have been told to make stuff up and bill them for it.

Ahhh...the joys of working for a small IT company.  :puker:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:29 am 

I remember the small IT days. 3 minutes=$75. 20 minutes=$75. 1 hour 2 minutes = $150. I graduated to large-scale networks and haven't regretted a day of it. It's not in my nature to pork people.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:56 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I remember the small IT days. 3 minutes=$75. 20 minutes=$75. 1 hour 2 minutes = $150. I graduated to large-scale networks and haven't regretted a day of it. It's not in my nature to pork people.

Don't get me wrong: I agree with people saying you must factor in all costs associated in doing business - I don't charge exact shipping costs, for example, in my eBay sales because I have to include personnel, shipping rates, packing materials and so on - but this is simply obscene. I can 'understand'  :?  a company milking people's wallets (and losing soooo many customers in the process...), but not individuals. I have had some clashes with overseas sellers thinking that having foreign buyers is a license to print money (I mean sellers charging FOUR TIMES actual shipping costs....). But, nonetheless, the far biggest part of my overseas (US & Canada) transactions has been very pleasant. I like Americans   :wink: and - this is a sad note - I trust them more than my countrymen  :cry:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:41 pm 

guerret wrote:When the item arrived (after a LOOONG time, since the shipment was the cheapest one), the postal stamp had a price of $5.40 written on it, ten whopping dollars less than the seller had asked me. When I asked for explanations, this is the reply I got (excerpt):

The item shiping is under the price billed for shipping the item. It doesn't include new packing materials and I also personally charge $5 for completing Customs Declaration and standing at the post office.

Why don'y you report them to eBay for excesive shipping and enclose the reply that you received. Maybe eBay will do something about them.

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:00 pm 

Mercenary_Roadie wrote:
Why don'y you report them to eBay for excesive shipping and enclose the reply that you received. Maybe eBay will do something about them.

Bah, too much of a hassle. Maybe I will, but I don't care that much. I won't buy from him anymore.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:Don't get me wrong: I agree with people saying you must factor in all costs associated in doing business - I don't charge exact shipping costs, for example, in my eBay sales because I have to include personnel, shipping rates, packing materials and so on - but this is simply obscene. I can 'understand'  :?  a company milking people's wallets (and losing soooo many customers in the process...), but not individuals. I have had some clashes with overseas sellers thinking that having foreign buyers is a license to print money (I mean sellers charging FOUR TIMES actual shipping costs....). But, nonetheless, the far biggest part of my overseas (US & Canada) transactions has been very pleasant. I like Americans   :wink: and - this is a sad note - I trust them more than my countrymen  :cry:

I've always felt strongly that you don't rape your customer with excessive shipping and try to play it fairly close with my sales; as long as my materials and other fees are covered I'm happy.  But I'm always amazed at what people do charge for shipping - and they get it!  I can't imagine it brings a loyal customer and regard this as bad business in general.  Probably the worst candidate for the shipping fiasco scenarios are the sellers who don't list their charges, get an actual bidder and say in the auction 'shipping will be determined at auction's end'.  Admittedly, by far things go reasonably, but every once in a while....well you all get the idea I'm sure.  

Peace.

Joe

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 am 

Well, I did it in the end. I forwarded his message to eBay staff. Hope this has some positive effect.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:04 pm 

Tonya getting hammered at BoardgameGeek ... note especially how her insane email rantings to her soon-to-be-former customers haven't changed one single bit:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/300096

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 104123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 102103104