Shady Dealers
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:01 pm 

Adding one more shady eBay dealer to the list of blacklisting requests: linda1970
Linda persisted in selling a fake TSR buckle in spite of repeat warnings. She presented it as "nothing indicating this is not authentic" the whole time. There is also a whole discussion on the Acaeum, IMHO establishing that it was absolutely fake.
As the owner of some very real buckles, I have a vested interest in keeping fakes out of the market, I will admit!

Here was the post:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

On a tangential but connected note... I also received a damaged shipment of many fighting fantasy and lone wolf items this month, from a Facebook UK seller - I know those items are out of scope for the Acaeum.
But here is my question: the items smelled heavily of cigarette smoke, on top of being damaged in transit due to poor packaging. The seller argues that he did not have to indicate any smoke smell (beside acknowledging that he smokes heavily yet the items could not smell since they "are kept upstairs in another room". As we all know, smoke does not rise........). As collectors, how would you feel about that? Would it not warrant a refund and am I being unreasonable? I asked for 20% only, and the seller offered 1% after a paypal dispute was open. Keep in mind there is extensive damage, and shipping back cross-atlantic would cost me a 2nd mortgage.

This is the most painful part of collecting... It exposes humanity in all its extremes!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:41 pm 

gregory wrote in Shady Dealers:fighting fantasy and lone wolf items this month, from a Facebook UK seller - I know those items are out of scope for the Acaeum.

In the sense of not being true, open-ended roleplaying? Maybe in some technical ways, but disqualifying FF would also disqualify Tunnel & Trolls. Therefore, we totally believe you about the smoke. Smokers are jokers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:47 pm 

gregory wrote in Shady Dealers:On a tangential but connected note... I also received a damaged shipment of many fighting fantasy and lone wolf items this month, from a Facebook UK seller - I know those items are out of scope for the Acaeum.
But here is my question: the items smelled heavily of cigarette smoke, on top of being damaged in transit due to poor packaging. The seller argues that he did not have to indicate any smoke smell (beside acknowledging that he smokes heavily yet the items could not smell since they "are kept upstairs in another room". As we all know, smoke does not rise........). As collectors, how would you feel about that? Would it not warrant a refund and am I being unreasonable? I asked for 20% only, and the seller offered 1% after a paypal dispute was open. Keep in mind there is extensive damage, and shipping back cross-atlantic would cost me a 2nd mortgage.

This sucks. People who are heavy indoor smokers can become nose-blind to the smell and may not be aware it even exists until they get told by an impartial third party.

I've purchased smoke-smelly items once before (a RIFTS special edition sourcebook from eBay).
I didn't mention it or seek restitution from eBay at the time, and still own the book.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:51 pm 

I also recently received a 'smoky' item.  There was no mention of the environment in the listing.  Won't buy from that person again.  The module's shrink had a residue on it which I wiped off but the thing still smelled awful.  Even after taking off the wrap, the odor was really strong.  I decided to get rid of it after leaving it out for a couple of weeks to air out, but that did little if anything.  What a waste.  I got 1/2 my money back but that is not the point. (because I opened it, seller didn't want it back).  

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:49 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Shady Dealers:The module's shrink had a residue on it

I'm usually pretty tolerant about items in mangled condition, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. It's possible that some sellers have heard about collectibles which should not be cleaned (coins, etc.), & think it applies to everything.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:04 am 

sauromatian wrote in Shady Dealers:
I'm usually pretty tolerant about items in mangled condition, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. It's possible that some sellers have heard about collectibles which should not be cleaned (coins, etc.), & think it applies to everything.

I agree with you but should have clarified the smelly lot I bought was composed of 280 items, from a regular seller.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:01 pm 

Warning: the following auction --

** expired/removed eBay auction **

... is a scam.  The eBay accounts in question have been hacked and this false item put up.  They'll be taken down (eventually) by eBay and by me here if I see it, but don't go hitting the Buy-it-Now on these.

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:42 am 

Attaching the picture separately here because I'm sure the auction listing will be taken down soon.

Foul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm 

I reported numerous associated bogus auctions yesterday, at the same time that Foul removed the auctions.  There were two eBay accounts that had been compromised.  Hopefully they have both been addressed now.

It's the same old automated listings that are being used over and over.  D&D collectibles are just a small portion of the listings.  They are getting a bit more sophisticated with the auction listings over time, in an attempt to defeat eBay's security measures.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm 

Wasn't sure where to post this but this is probably the most appropriate place:

The seller has listed a supposed 1st print, but hasn't provided any photos that actually verify that it's a 1st print.  It does state that the endpapers and flyleaves are orange at least.  In addition, they are including "Amazing MegaExtras including 10,000+ Pages of Fantasy Materials!!"

The description continues with the following:

Purchasing this listing also is a non-disclosure agreement by the buyer to keep secret all information about the Dungeons & Dragons WebGuide and these Extras!!  Please use the information there as you deem fit, just do not disclose the internet information on where it is located or what is there.  All of the extras will be in the Dungeons & Dragons WebGuide that will be emailed upon shipment of your purchase.  To receive the WebGuide by email please include your email address with your payment or send it by eBay email.

Seriously?  The seller thinks this is okay?  They do have a 100% feedback rating, though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:11 am 

dbartman wrote in Shady Dealers:Wasn't sure where to post this but this is probably the most appropriate place:

The seller has listed a supposed 1st print, but hasn't provided any photos that actually verify that it's a 1st print.  It does state that the endpapers and flyleaves are orange at least.  In addition, they are including "Amazing MegaExtras including 10,000+ Pages of Fantasy Materials!!"

The description continues with the following:

Seriously?  The seller thinks this is okay?  They do have a 100% feedback rating, though.

So the seller sells a '1st Print' in the sense that it is 1E AD&D and a link to a trove of PDFs online where you can download pirate copies of stuff you should be paying for at DrivethruRPG.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:30 pm 

This category of “Shady Dealers” is s great, no… fantastic idea that seems to be getting rather unwieldy and tough to search. It seems to me I saw ‘Shewolf’ as an eBay seller to avoid yet they have 100% positive feedback with 11498 sales. Granted, they ask for a premium on every little thing but maybe this thread could some how be broken down into a searchable list to allow collectors to find those sellers masquerading as top notch dealers? This one example comes to mind as ‘Shewolf’ seems to come up with incredible collectibles but the dealings I’ve read about on this site are less than reassuring. Any thoughts on how to create a “watchlist” of sellers that collectors could quick reference within this category to help us in our decision making?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:24 pm 

The easiest way to search this thread is to use the searchbox at the very top of the thread, in the dark brown border.  It's a little hard to spot so most people aren't even aware it's there.  That'll let you peruse the comments, if any, made about the seller you're interested in.  Note that a sitewide search of a seller's name might produce more results, as there's several notorious sellers who have their own dedicated thread (i.e., ETC/GAME EMP/jonb7839,lisas_stuff_too! is now she_wolf626).

As a usual disclaimer, the opinions and statements made by individual posters in this thread (or elsewhere on this forum) are not an "official" view of The Acaeum at large.  Posters in this thread, as with any Internet posting, should be aware of the very real legal liabilities of being sued for libel in the event what you're posting is not the truth.  For this reason primarily, I don't think it would be wise to maintain any "master" list of the sellers mentioned in this thread.  Read people's opinions and accounts of their experiences, and make your own decisions.

Two further comments:

- "she_wolf626" has been been shown beyond reasonable doubt to be a middle-aged man living in Fancy Gap, Virginia, who has over the years cycled between several eBay accounts with the express intent of committing fraud via non-delivery of expensive D&D collectibles.  There's always a fictious biography presented, very often involving dead relatives and an inherited collection, in an attempt to establish a reputation.  This has been literally going on for almost twenty years now, that we're aware of, and in every case it eventually ends with the seller "going dark" and not delivering goods.  Then a new account and sob story is created and the cycle begins anew.  If you believe this person has now finally reformed and "gone straight", then I commend you on your optimism about the human condition.  Caveat emptor.

- eBay makes a determined effort to mask or outright delete any negative comments made about sellers.  They long ago decided that a seller with a 100% feedback rating makes more sales, which increases eBay's commissions.  Remember that this is the company that just a couple years ago figuratively sent an assassination squad to deal with a blogger posting unfavorable articles about eBay: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/investigat ... 023-03-26/ .

Foul

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:02 am 

Thank you for that insight. Looks like it’s not as black and white as I was thinking creating a master list but good to know about the search feature. And as much as I would like to purchase something from Shewolf, I have steered clear and plan to continue to do so. Finally, that is some scary stuff in the 60Mins article. Those poor people! Glad to see the perpetrators were caught and punished in the end…  well, mostly anyway. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me on all this.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:14 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Two separate listings from the same seller, with different end dates, same items...

Double post?  Maybe.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 pm 

The seller responded and indicated that they had accidently double-posted the auction.  They subsequently removed the incorrect auction.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:23 am 

Dumpling wrote in Shady Dealers:Adding in this thread as well at the suggestion of a more experienced member.

Seller heracleides (mentioned in an earlier thread here as well) is back to selling fakes of (primarily zines) from Traveller and other systems. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&LH_Specif ... p;_fosrp=1 Jerry Sanders out of Apache Junction, AZ but answers messages as Paul for what it's worth.

The Oracle set at least was confirmed as stolen content by the owner (issue 6 only existed in a post-original version sold through kickstarter a few years ago). In the items I returned at least one came with a CD/RW copy of the zine.

FYI this seller is back and has rebranded himself as Chapbooks Express, still selling the same host of copyright violating reprints of old zines. Looks like they go dark for a while then come back with new store name. 100% positive feedback of course, as is fairly common for sellers of stolen content. C'est la vie.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:14 am 

Not the only item being sold, but I can't help but wonder why this pops up every month or so? I assume a hacked account.

PreviousNext