Shady Dealers
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:40 am 

I'd say publicly outing the seller for failing to honour the sale agreement on all the available platforms. Posts on FB and the various forums and an e-mail to the seller telling them where they can publicly defend their actions would work. If really depends how pissed you are at losing maybe $40, or if we're talking $100 here. And then it all depends on how much the seller gives a F about you or their other customers. If it's a big company with a good rep, they might. If it's one particular big name store, they won't give a flying F what anyone thinks of them. The integrity left that company, and the current management are horrifical immoral.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:54 pm 

jeffsea wrote in Shady Dealers:I have a question.

Are there any tried and true strategies for overcoming seller's remorse on ebay?

I got a absolute deal about 5 days ago on ebay on a buy it now listing. Immediately paid. 4 days later seller cancels. and listed the reason for cancellation as "Buyer asked to cancel or issue with buyer's address".  That is all nonsense. I didn't ask to cancel, and I've made multiple purchases from this seller previously with no delivery snags. I make lots of other ebay purchases from all kinds of other sellers too.

I suspect seller's remorse as there are two versions of the book, and the listing was priced more in line with the less valuable version, when it was the more valuable version up for sale.  I netted about a 40% discount, or would have, if the deal had gone thru.  This is all speculation on my part as to their reasoning.

The seller is one of the big resellers with multiple tens of thousands of transactions and feedback, not an average joe selling off an old personal collection.  When I reached out to them after the cancellation, I have been getting bounced around by mulitple reps from their custome service department.. so definitely not a mom and pop.

do I have any levers to exert any influence on them to go thru with the cancelled sale?

Does their company name rhyme with Kobol Fight?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:36 pm 

I had an online seller cancel once, it was a while ago - might have been Troll & Toad and an early White Dwarf but it’s hazy…

But I also clicked a great BIN deal on one of those China-based sellers when the spoofed listings just started and got my refund no sweat. So I figure I’m even… and I should know better if it’s too good to be true :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:04 am 

jeffsea wrote in Shady Dealers:Ok, I am in mid stink raising mode already, so we will see how it goes.

And?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:54 pm 

mordrin wrote in Shady Dealers:

And?

Oof

I see now they defeated me with BS and slowwalking the issue, as it had kind of slipped my mind.

One customer service rep passing it off to another, then promising to research the matter further

Next promising to move it up to a manager

Then promising they would try to see if it was "possible" to find me another copy to replace the one gone missing, but it might take some time... and a manager would get back to me further with a resolution...

I fell for it.  I am now going off to take another shot at it.

But no to all the previous questions, it wasn't Noble Knight, this one was with Zuber

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:30 am 

This reminds me a similar episode i had more than 10 year ago with the "koboldflight" reseller... They listed a Gaz8 (five shires) for a ridiculous BIN (it was approx 2 bucks)... That was clearly a typo! It happended to me the same with the only difference that i never got a reply to my numerous messages...
In a nutshell, the seller can decide even when the auction is done what he wants... There are no levers...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:06 am 

I've had issues with SheWolf listings before.
Here is a new one for a Palace of the Vampire Queen, which does not state that this is a 2nd printing. Pretty major omission if you ask me, even though it is still a rare.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:48 am 

Though I have not purchased anything from SheWolf, she has great reviews. What happened to get them on the blacklist? Maybe I haven’t seen it yet but is there and actual list being kept? Would be good to have that insight when deciding to make a deal.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:02 am 

There's a very long thread around here regarding her (his) antics.  Caveat emptor.

You can view the current Acaeum blacklist by choosing "eBay" at the top of your screen, and then selecting "Configuration" on the right.

Foul

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:07 pm 

Thanks Foul. I see SheWolf in the area you referenced. Thanks for the assist.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:11 am 

Just wanted to notify people that the ebay seller jknight10 is listing items on eBay portraying them to be from James M. Wards collection when they are not. This buyer has never purchased any item from me. They even copied our description word for word. I am the only person currently selling Jim’s collection.

The eBay seller name is jknight10

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 am 

People should ask the seller if he has a picture of Jim holding the item(s) like you do.  :D

-SKA

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:01 am 

Good idea. I have messaged him a few times now and just get the same response.

“But what is different about this item than the one you listed? Is the item different somehow?”

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:02 am 

Super shady. As someone who actually bought from Jim's collection (and through Clay), I hope Acaeum blacklists that seller.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:45 pm 

Done.  For those not aware, blacklisting here means links to that seller's auctions will be automatically blocked, and their auctions will not pull up in Auction Hunter searches.

Foul

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:13 pm 

I think the blacklisting was a bit premature.  Would any here like to be blacklisted for one incident?

Unless I'm mistaken, the seller only has one item listed, referencing Jim, and I think he copied the description from a similar auction - the one that you had listed in August, since that was the only similar item available on eBay.  The seller is probably unaware of what is wrong / different.  Was that explained to the seller?  Unless the seller is a repeat offender, this doesn't look like a big deal.  The seller should correct the listing, though, since it's not accurate.

I looked through the seller's entire active and sold auctions and there was only one other RPG type item sold by the seller, and it did not reference Jim.

Doesn't matter to me if the seller is blacklisted, but I don't think that this one incident warrants it.  It's doubtful the seller will care anyway, since they don't typically sell items that would be listed here.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:32 pm 

If for nothing else, copying another seller's description word-for-word is not only against eBay's policies (though they really don't care), it's also lazy and deceptive.  As you said, the seller doesn't seem to be into selling RPG items, but this sort of asshattery is nothing we need here.  Jim's items command a significant premium which does not need to be diluted by false advertising, intentional or not.

Foul

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:29 am 

The seller has now removed the reference to the "James Ward Collection" from the title of the auction, although the description still says "Jim worked at TSR in Lake Geneva for 20+ years. He is also the creator Gamma World, the first role-playing game in the post apocalyptic genre."

PreviousNext