Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 101 of 104123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102103104
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:29 pm 

To try to add to the story, I asked the vendor if this is a 2nd copy as I wanted to get an updated picture if it was so. The vendor says it is a 2nd copy. While plausible, they are SW modules so curious that they have 2 copies.

Anyways:

1) eBay told me yesterday (and again just now) that the winning bidder reneged, so I don't understand why the vendor says it is a 2nd copy
2) the vendor claims they won't be back to the store until Tuesday (curiously not Monday) to take a picture, the day after the 2nd chance offer ends

My run-in with dayecon 15 years ago might be making me overly paranoid, but I haven't had any such issues since dayecon, so I thought I was past that.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:44 pm 

I think that if the seller doesn't have an abbreviated sales history, or negative feedback (which admittedly is no longer a good measuring stick, as eBay likes to make negative feedback "go away"), then the real risk you're running here is paying too much for the item, based on its actual market value.  And with shrinkwrapped stuff, the values are all over the place, constantly setting new records.  So as long as you're comfortable paying whatever amount for something, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you got the best deal possible, as such a thing is impossible to determine anyway.  So the seller might have done some sleight-of-hand to improve his profit and increase your cost.  Odds are, in this wacky market, you'd be able to flip these items in a year for a 25% markup.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:08 pm 

Just for some added corroboration, I was bidder Score(10) on the X4 and N1 auctions.  I was also offered a second chance on the X4 module and was told the X4 was a second copy in shrink. I was not offered a second chance on the N1.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:03 am 

pherreroca wrote in Shady Dealers:To try to add to the story, I asked the vendor if this is a 2nd copy as I wanted to get an updated picture if it was so. The vendor says it is a 2nd copy. While plausible, they are SW modules so curious that they have 2 copies.

Anyways:

1) eBay told me yesterday (and again just now) that the winning bidder reneged, so I don't understand why the vendor says it is a 2nd copy
2) the vendor claims they won't be back to the store until Tuesday (curiously not Monday) to take a picture, the day after the 2nd chance offer ends

My run-in with dayecon 15 years ago might be making me overly paranoid, but I haven't had any such issues since dayecon, so I thought I was past that.

Based on your subsequent information, and Sir Kill Alot's additional info, it's quite possible that this is just an example where there were two copies available.  It's not uncommon for sellers to have more than one copy of some modules.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 pm 

OK. I did a bit more digging and this is a store with brick and mortar that sells on eBay on a commission. When I called, the voice message did say they are not open until Tuesday and not Monday, so that is also consistent.

If it's all good, I will take the veterans' advice here on whether to take the original posts down, although it still confuses me that eBay told me the winner reneged, while the vendor says it is a 2nd copy. If it's truly a 2nd copy, then the fact that the original winner bid on an item the next day would make sense. Wish eBay would not tell me the winner reneged if that is not the case.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:49 pm 

pherreroca wrote in Shady Dealers:OK. I did a bit more digging and this is a store with brick and mortar that sells on eBay on a commission. When I called, the voice message did say they are not open until Tuesday and not Monday, so that is also consistent.

If it's all good, I will take the veterans' advice here on whether to take the original posts down, although it still confuses me that eBay told me the winner reneged, while the vendor says it is a 2nd copy. If it's truly a 2nd copy, then the fact that the original winner bid on an item the next day would make sense. Wish eBay would not tell me the winner reneged if that is not the case.

I wouldn't remove or alter any posts.  They are a record of discussion and an important one at that.  I am sure this has happened to others and you have gone above and beyond what a typical buyer would do (at least to me) in clarifying the situation.  My gratitudes to you.  I have accepted my second offer and will post an update if people wish.

-SKA

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:35 pm 

Hi All,  I just happened to read all of this.  I'm the winning bidder in question with the high feedback. This is me:
bruce_lee (3693) I did not reneg on these auctions.  I won 6 out of his 7 auctions (I was not interested in the one that comes with the magic ink pen). I waited until the next day when I won the last one, and he sent me a total invoice with combined shipping.  I paid that day.  Hope nothing fishy is going on here!  I've posted before here in the Classified that I'm actively seeking shinkwrapped modules.  If he does have duplicates, I wish he'd offer them to me!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:19 pm 

jimbonemx6 wrote in Shady Dealers:Hi All,  I just happened to read all of this.  I'm the winning bidder in question with the high feedback. This is me:
bruce_lee (3693) I did not reneg on these auctions.  I won 6 out of his 7 auctions...

Congrats on the wins! You paid a pretty penny for those items.  I hope everyone is happy with them when they are received.

jimbonemx6 wrote in Shady Dealers:I've posted before here in the Classified that I'm actively seeking shinkwrapped modules.

You are not the only one in that boat it seems lately.

jimbonemx6 wrote in Shady Dealers:If he does have duplicates, I wish he'd offer them to me!

Now that's just being greedy...   :D

-SKA

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:22 pm 

At least those were Canadian dollars!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:09 pm 

Excellent, mystery solved exclusively by Acaeum members!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:41 pm 

Scammers at it again - avoid!!!!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:58 pm 

Scammers back under a new highjacked eBay account:

Avoid any auctions posted by this account.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:20 pm 

Do you remember the seller's name?

Foul

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:43 am 

Unfortunately, I do not.  It was a random high-volume seller whose account had been highjacked.  The seller wasn't technically a "Shady Dealer".  The scammers that took over the account were.

I wouldn't expect that account to pop up again.  It's always been a new eBay account.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:47 am 

No sooner posted and removed, then another one pops up!

Sigh...

Not that it matters, since the seller was/is legitimate, but here's the seller's account (stewart8768) info:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Reported the four fraudulent listings related to D&D collectibles.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:04 pm 

I have a question.

Are there any tried and true strategies for overcoming seller's remorse on ebay?

I got a absolute deal about 5 days ago on ebay on a buy it now listing. Immediately paid. 4 days later seller cancels. and listed the reason for cancellation as "Buyer asked to cancel or issue with buyer's address".  That is all nonsense. I didn't ask to cancel, and I've made multiple purchases from this seller previously with no delivery snags. I make lots of other ebay purchases from all kinds of other sellers too.

I suspect seller's remorse as there are two versions of the book, and the listing was priced more in line with the less valuable version, when it was the more valuable version up for sale.  I netted about a 40% discount, or would have, if the deal had gone thru.  This is all speculation on my part as to their reasoning.

The seller is one of the big resellers with multiple tens of thousands of transactions and feedback, not an average joe selling off an old personal collection.  When I reached out to them after the cancellation, I have been getting bounced around by mulitple reps from their custome service department.. so definitely not a mom and pop.

do I have any levers to exert any influence on them to go thru with the cancelled sale?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:28 pm 

You probably have a much better chance of a big reseller honoring the original deal.  Typically, their reputation is worth more than the few bucks they've saved by yanking the item.  Most likely some sort of supervisor caught the item as it was being processed and flagged it as mislabeled (which it was).  It's probably company policy to cancel the sale and re-list correctly, but I bet if you raise a bit of a stink, they're likely to reverse course.

Just my 2c.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:50 pm 

Ok, I am in mid stink raising mode already, so we will see how it goes.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 101 of 104123 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102103104