Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 11 of 104123 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:54 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Manuscripts are covered under media mail.

Of course all these rules developed because of shipping from publishing companies. I bet Ben Franklin is to blame.

but you said something with staples isnt...

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:15 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
but you said something with staples isnt...

Yes but manuscripts are specifically listed and the other material we were talking about, modules, comic books, magazines, etc... are published material.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:52 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Yes but manuscripts are specifically listed and the other material we were talking about, modules, comic books, magazines, etc... are published material.

ok so you can have a manuscript but not a module?

what if i had a manuscript of a module?

not trying to be awkward here, just trying to work out how daft that system is.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 pm 

Oddly enough, a map is not considered media, as I found out when I made the mistake of telling the nice postal clerk that I was shipping a (Judges Guild) map.  It was very light, so the difference in price was not much, but I was surprised.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:17 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
ok so you can have a manuscript but not a module?

what if i had a manuscript of a module?

not trying to be awkward here, just trying to work out how daft that system is.

Al

A manuscript is a manuscript... but sometimes a cigar is just a smoke.

(Been watching too much B5).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Mike,

I think if you checked at the state or federal level, rather than the local unit postmaster, you would find that your B2 could not be shipped as media mail. Other than this summer I haven't been an active seller or shipper in years, but I don't care to break the law, even a stupid law, to save a few bucks. I'll save my transgressions for something more vital to me.

You're probably right, Jason, and I doubt my local postmaster would back me up if it were brought up ("What?  I never told him that!!!").  But the point is really moot since I only ship media nowadays anyway unless it's an actually BOOK.  It's much easier to just put the modules or box sets in the free priority boxes or envelopes and saves time.  
  As an add on, I don't think the postal inspectors are going to toss anyone in jail for a simple mistake, they have much bigger fish to fry. Three postal employees in Frisco Texas (right near where Aneoth and Kingofpain live) were caught stealing thousands of dollars worth of money orders, gift cards, and other goodies from the mail over a two year period.  Oh, don't worry, they were "let go" from the USPS, but still haven't been prosecuted  8O   I would have to think the postal cops have their hands full with this crap, I wouldn't worry about the hammer coming down over a B2 being sent media mail.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 pm 

Have you people not heard of USPS First Class? Generally you can ship any module first class mail rate for about $3 . There is a weight and width requirement, but most modules meet the weight requirement and all you do is add extra plastic bags or bubblewrap to meet the width requirement. To send a module priority rate of $8 is a waste of money. First class mail usually gets there at the same time as priority 2 - 3 days.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:05 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:I believe you have been ill advised.

Hard to say. We've been down this road here before, many times, and the general consensus is that not even the USPS really knows what media mail is or isn't.

I'll stick with what I said back in May:

Xaxaxe wrote:Here's a quick practical guide to Media Mail: be prepared for anything.

*It's technically not supposed to contain any advertsing ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*It can be inspected at any time along its route from A-to-B ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*It cannot be used as the lone form of postage for a Carrier Pickup transaction ... but your area postal employees may or may not know or care about this.

*and on and on and on ...

The point being: be prepared to possibly answer a couple of questions, or to have your item opened, or to be asked to upgrade to at least Parcel Post. With Media Mail, you're getting the service you've paid for, if you catch my meaning.

Or, better yet, ship Priority Mail.

Put another way: while there appears to be some form of consensus at the level of senior USPS officials, that information and/or training is not filtering down consistently to the local level. When I lived in Southern California, for example, I had six post offices that were within a reasonable drive of either home or work, and they once combined to provide me with five different answers as to what constituted "media mail." (Yes, I actually drove around to each one over the course of about two weeks).

For the record, I've mailed about three million modules via media mail over the years (and I suspect many sellers here could say the same), never once experiencing a problem. Although, frankly, I now much prefer Priority Mail for its increased reliability, free shipping supplies, free delivery confirmation, quicker shipping time, etc.

napoleonsdad wrote:I find nothing more annoying than to see shipping charges of $7-$9 plus to mail a single module "via standard shipping" and additional modules combined at half the stated rate.  Further, standard shipping is typically the term for media mail so the seller will make a decent profit on shipping alone.

Move on to the next seller. This is really no different than what Cougie does with his "contact me for shipping quote" nonsense: it's just deciding, post-auction, what shipping rate to use.

Personally, I honestly can't recall ever posting an auction that didn't list a specific shipping rate and/or have an eBay calculator included. Well, maybe I was more vague when I first started out ... of course, I also used blinking text  :) 8O back in the late '90s, so clearly I didn't have a clue, anyway.

I'm often surprised that eBay doesn't force sellers to use specific shipping information. It's really one of the last great eBay loopholes ... just ask our UK feline friend.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm 

Speaking of Da Coug, check out this feedback entry:

"no conycat b4 nFB as requested not impressed, errors fiaxble FB not, comm please"

Okay, Dave, I give up: "conycat"? Seriously, man, that is bad even for you.

How can someone who lives in England not have at least a passing acquaintance with English? It's truly a mystery ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:27 pm 

When I go to the post office to ship items, I tell the counter clerk either media mail or first class ( Its none of their business anyway what Im shipping unless they are prepared to open it right then and there) , and they never question me except when I go to an odd different PO that I normally dont deal with. I never disclose what Im shipping and have never had anything returned to me. Most postal employees are as ignorant and lazy to their actual job duties and responsibilities as most government employees are in general. Media Mail is subject to inspection: so what? Im not shipping cocaine or explosives. check away, just make sure you repackage the item just as I prepared it. There is no law broken in sending a game module media mail rate, but it is costly and needlessly stupid to send the same module priority mail rate, when you can just as easily send it first class mail rate cheaper.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:11 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:When I go to the post office to ship items, I tell the counter clerk either media mail or first class ( Its none of their business anyway what Im shipping unless they are prepared to open it right then and there) , and they never question me except when I go to an odd different PO that I normally dont deal with. I never disclose what Im shipping and have never had anything returned to me. Most postal employees are as ignorant and lazy to their actual job duties and responsibilities as most government employees are in general. Media Mail is subject to inspection: so what? Im not shipping cocaine or explosives. check away, just make sure you repackage the item just as I prepared it. There is no law broken in sending a game module media mail rate, but it is costly and needlessly stupid to send the same module priority mail rate, when you can just as easily send it first class mail rate cheaper.

1st class mail is 13 ounces or less. So, module and packaging must come in at this weight or you are bumped up to priority or parcel post.

I only ship in boxes, that means no 1st class unless the module is practically wafer thin and I have the boxes.

I've received modules in paper bags, in wrapping paper, in white copy paper, just so the shipper could save a few bucks or make their auction seem cheaper. But you get what you pay for, damaged merchandise for the most part.

As far as breaking laws, yes you are if you are knowingly defrauding the post office and lying about the contents of your package. I think the law is silly, but don't delude yourself into thinking that there isn't a law against it or that you aren't violating it. If you have doubts just tell the clerk what you are shipping and see if they will let you ship it media mail, then no laws are being broken.

I ship modules priority mail, boxed, which the buyers appreciate. I ship books and media, media mail boxed, which gets some people worked up about the extreme length of time it can take for them to arrive but I've never had anything arrived damaged.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:28 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Titan games took me for a $250 lot years ago

As far as $7 to ship a module, that isn't too high becuase you can't send them media mail. It's either priority or parcel post. If you sell through ebay you need tracking so it is something like $5.15 minimum to ship the lightest module.

I haven't been the post office in a few months.

$5+ to ship a module?  I must be out of touch.

I mailed something to an Acaeum member a couple of months ago.

It seems to me that to ship a D&D hardback book in a two-day envelope was just over $4.

4 and possibly 5 or maybe 6 or 7 modules could fit in the same envelope for the same weight.

What am I missing?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

Printed music is generally bound with staples.

Printed test materials are generally bound with staples.

Loose-leaf pages have no binding at all.

Many books are bound with staples.

A definition that does not include modules bound with staples is just ridiculous...and I suspect that it is just the whim of a local post office worker.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:43 am 

I ship modules priority mail, boxed, which the buyers appreciate. I ship books and media, media mail boxed, which gets some people worked up about the extreme length of time it can take for them to arrive but I've never had anything arrived damaged.

Yes, I bought a single module from you recently and it came in a Priority box.  Thanks Jason!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:28 am 

Most modules weigh in below 13 ounces ( 34 -48 pages?) which qualify for First Class Mail at about $3 shipping. What am I missing here? Even if you choose to send media mail rate: what, am I going to jail for sending a dungeons and dragons module through the mail at a sub par mail rate then what I am suppose to pay? OMG I dont think so. If OJ Simpson can get away with Murder, I dont think I will be booted up to the top of the list on the District Attorneys Office for vague mail abuse of a few dollars the post office believes is owed to them for a Dungeons and Dragons module that was incorrectly labeled as "media mail". Besides why arent you sending this First class Mail Rate at $3 anyways???  First Class Mail: Ships Dungeons & Dragons Modules $3 same delivery time as priority, Hello.. What am I missing here? Oh maybe a .50 cent envelope reinforced with 2 stiff pieces of cardboard... just as good as an $8 dollar priority box.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:46 am 

Why ship a single d&d module priority or media mail when first class mail is obviously the better choice? I just dont get it. Is it ignorance or convience? Or both?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:49 am 

Afrika Corps wrote: just as good as an $8 dollar priority box.

Dude, enough with the $8 example. Where is that coming from? A module fits perfectly into a Priority Mail flat-rate envelope, which can be sent anywhere in the U.S. for $4.60, with free delivery comfirmation included.

I'm not even sure I'm getting your argument. First class is good? Media mail is good? You've lost me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:58 am 

Because Ive recieved many single modules in an $8 flat rate priority box that could have been shipped just as easily in a .50 cent envelope $3 first class mail/ Media mail rate. There is no difference in the delivery time between First class and priortiy mail rate, they are the same thing: the difference is the cost to ship.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 11 of 104123 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 102103104