Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 100 of 104123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101102103104
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:10 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Shady Dealers:
I  think all this pod reprint selling is a nasty scam that hurts the hobby.

This seller seems to be clearly describing their POD items as reprints, both in the title and description, although the item shown here does not, so maybe this is a new, more transparent approach.  I don't have an issue with re-selling the POD items, as long as they are described accurately. That is a pretty big caveat, I admit, and as collectors we need to be watchful for stuff that is not the genuine article, and this makes it a little bit harder.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 am 

Adding in this thread as well at the suggestion of a more experienced member.

Seller heracleides (mentioned in an earlier thread here as well) is back to selling fakes of (primarily zines) from Traveller and other systems. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&LH_Specif ... p;_fosrp=1 Jerry Sanders out of Apache Junction, AZ but answers messages as Paul for what it's worth.

The Oracle set at least was confirmed as stolen content by the owner (issue 6 only existed in a post-original version sold through kickstarter a few years ago). In the items I returned at least one came with a CD/RW copy of the zine.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:38 pm 

vinylgeneration - if you look at it on eBay with PC, it says reprint right at the top and says how it's made. Don't like it, assume the IP holder doesn't either but...

trollxgames - if those are reprints, that's 'all in' shady. Fire Away!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 pm 

Dacardworld

Bought a boot hill supposedly new from these guys.  Showed up in a pancaked box, all the corners destroyed, poor-fair condition.   Wrote, sent pics, was offered $10 refund.
Could have been honest mistake....Until you look at all their D&D listings.  Everything they sell is Brand New....

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Don't buy cards from them either.  Their feedback is rampant with claims of resealed packs and fraudulent boxes.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:58 pm 

I found this board because I did a Google search for "jastner ebay" because of the hostile messages and strange demands (a "generous partial refund" or a full return) I'm receiving from that seller saying that I listed a fraudulent item when in fact I take detailed photographs of what I sell and what damage is present. A gut feeling told me to do a search because the messages seemed out of the blue and rude, and I've had nothing but good experience on eBay until this. The items I listed are 20+ years old, gifted to me by a friend who played in the 90s, and have only been used by this friend and myself. I receive a message from jastner saying that the item he received is not as described, and in fact has damage to the spine that wasn't present when I listed it or sent it. He never asked for further photos or clarification before bidding, and got increasingly belligerent when I offered a 20% partial refund and eventually offered a full return, telling me I'm listing fraudulent items and unprofessional. Honestly, it felt like projection. I sent two reports to eBay after finding out jastner is the selling account of intelligator and asked eBay to look into other instances of demanding partial refunds for items on his buying account before listing them on his selling account. I will also be blocking both accounts from purchasing from me in the future.

Immediate demands of partial refunds and claims of my fraudulent activity set off warning bells, and it was a relief and a surprise to see that there were instances of this behavior from this buyer/seller documented here on this forum, so thank you. I feel like this buyer is trying to get the item for much less than he paid for (all in all, including shipping, the manual was $24) in order to sell it for double or triple the price on his selling account. I will be initiating the return and blocking the seller once I receive the item back in my possession, but I also figure that this needs to be addressed again in case others are having similar issues.

If anyone has any suggestions or information regarding jastner/intelligator's behavior on eBay regarding the buying and selling of items in ways similar to this more recently than the posts from 2007 or 2008 or what I can also do with eBay to rectify this as I have never had an issue like this before, please let me know!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:28 am 

Back in 2012 this was said, in part, about Intelligator in this thread:
wargames-east wrote in Shady Dealers:I'm not sure if the Joeknows93 ID is still functional or not, but ebay is looking into it.  That I know because I reported him for making threats and wild statements about me, Intelligator, Guido the gypsie, jastner, that guy todd who has the huge amazon and ebay presence and the cool website, and many others.  He was pretty much attacking everyone who sells AD&D stuff.  He considers himself a player and alsways insists that the condition of his life is the fault of others.  He alwasy has a sob story to motivate people to pay for his auctions for him, and of course he'll send you the money or do something in trade.  He is good for it for a while, then when he figures he can maximize his profit . . . he screws you over.

Other posts regarding Intelligator have commented on his excellent packing and prompt service.  I've never personally bought from him myself.  Maybe he takes advantage of sellers/buyers with low eBay feedback scores?  :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 am 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:Back in 2012 this was said, in part, about Intelligator in this thread:

Other posts regarding Intelligator have commented on his excellent packing and prompt service.  I've never personally bought from him myself.  Maybe he takes advantage of sellers/buyers with low eBay feedback scores?  :?

Ive never sold to him, but I’ve bought several items from him in the past and I always had a very positive experience.  Sounds like there’s a stark difference between his customer and seller demeanors

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 am 

I have noticed a theme of people being good when selling, but arseholes when buying and trying to scam refunds, partial or full for “missold” items or items not delivered

With eBay 99.9% of the time siding with the buyer, it’s a huge loophole for abuse.

Everything I sell, I send tracked with a signature the other end. It’s about £2 more in cost, but beyond the odd one who has claimed it’s damaged on arrival, I’ve had no list sales as a result. I’ve seen many people who send it without any proof of delivery then lose out though

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 am 

aia wrote in Interesting Non-TSR Items Currently on eBay:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Uhhh? Do i miss any detail here? ...or just a typo in the starting bid amount?

Seller has only one feedback in the past year as a seller.
It's from a month ago and is explicitly negative.
The seller hasn't commented to the contrary, so appears to agree with the accusations.
So as of today turknuk_9 appears to have a 100% negative feedback rate.

There's no evidence offered to authenticate the product or indicate it is in any way associated with Chessex.
So the seller is offering a melted plastic dice for $12.5K (Yes, the seller doubled down and raised the price claiming inflation.)

For those reasons I think turknuk_9 is one for the Shady Dealers thread.
Let's see what he tries to sell next.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:33 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Shady Dealers:The seller hasn't commented to the contrary, so appears to agree with the accusations.

I too enjoy the non-logic of mythology & fantasy literature. Truly it is the spirit of the imagination which keeps our hobby alive.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:04 pm 

I originally thought these might be legit auctions, but it looks like the seller's account was highjacked and scammers are trying to make a quick buck off unwitting victims:

Buyers beware!

Last edited by dbartman on Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:08 pm 

dbartman wrote in Shady Dealers:I originally thought these might be legit auctions, but it looks like the seller's account was highjacked and scammers are trying to make a quick buck of unwitting victims:

"Copy the link and open" -Isn't that the sort of thing Ebay is always telling us not to do? Nevertheless, I did find out a few facts about Daystar West products I never realized. "Connectivity: GO," or "Bike Type: MTB." Those features are what you really want to know about before running a module for your players.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:58 am 

That Pharoah was on sale using an the same advert (exactly the same) and link from another company selling farmyard machinery, in the UK, just last week.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:42 pm 

Hi,

A question for the veterans. I believe I have run into a shill bidder/dealer. While I have reported the behavior to eBay, should I report the name here even though I don't know what eBay will conclude from their investigation since they don't update the person who makes the claim?

Some background of me. I am one of the two primary victims of the infamous dayecon back in 2006. Yes, the infamous dayecon!! I haven't posted since and the other victim back then seems to have his posts taken down (don't know if that happens if he deletes his account).

Now, this recent one is a different vendor, one up here in Canada. I won one of his auctions for a SW module at a reasonable price and I then proceeded to lose 3 auctions to an aggressive bidder. I thought nothing of it and just carried on, but the next day I had 2nd chance offers on all 3 items. Now, reneging on 1 or even 2 because the total cost got out of hand, I can understand, but thinking it strange that a winning bidder would renege on all 3 auctions, I asked eBay if they could check for anything that would suggest shilling may be taking place. I did not want to pay for inflated 2nd chance offers.

As I was online with eBay, by chance another module was ending bidding. I wasn't bidding on it, but was curious...and just as in my 3 cases, that same bidder jacked up the price. Now, remember the bidder reneged paying the previous day on 3 auctions, so if he couldn't pay for those, why the heck was he bidding on another auction from the same vendor the next day?

I know I am speculating, but if it smells like a duck, quacks like a duck...If you are wondering how I know it was the same bidder, the name of the bidder while masked does show the # of feedbacks and it was a large number and the same in all 4 auctions. eBay also confirmed that the first 3 were the same bidder while I was online with them.

Thoughts?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:01 pm 

Yep, sounds like a shill bidder.  Feel free to post the seller's name, with the caveat that it *could* be innocuous.  But you're right, it certainly smells funny.

Ultimately eBay doesn't give a crap about shill bidding.  Inflated sale prices = more commission for them.  That's also a major reason that they began obscuring bidder's identities.

Foul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:08 pm 

This could be innocuous, but this dealer sold 6 SW modules (D&D and AD&D). I bid on 4 of them.

Name is treehouseauctions

I did just notice that while they have 9,670 feedback reviews, only 70 were in the last 12 months.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:57 am 

Bellow is the complete history of all of the recent auctions from this seller.  Looking at the history, I'd have to assume that you were the bidder with (673) feedback, since you bid on four items and lost out on three of them.

The bidder with (3691) bid on all of the other auctions, except for the auction that you won, but judging from the sale prices, I'd be inclined to think that this bidder was not a shill bidder, but someone that won the auctions, but had to back out for some reason.  I only say this because they bid a single time in all cases and won the auctions.  They didn't even outbid you, by much, from your previous bid to beat out the other bidders.  The seller also won an auction that no one else bid on, which makes no sense for a shill account to do, unless the shill bidder is really good at obscuring their actions.  I really doubt that would be the case.

That's also a lot of feedback for a shill account, and looking at that eBay account's history over the last 30 days, only 37% was with this seller, the rest was on similar items from other sellers.  That leads me to believe that you and the seller were just unlucky because the original winning bidder backed out, or wasn't able to make the purchase for any number of reasons.  This account could be a reseller's account or someone from another country that wasn't acceptable to the seller.  It's hard to say without more probing and details.  It's difficult to do this anymore, because as Foul mentioned, eBay obscures a lot of the details, making transparency very difficult.

In this case, I've often counteroffered to the seller by offering slightly above what the bidder previous to you bid.  The seller will often negotiate, realizing that at least they have sold the item to you for more than the previous bidder would have offered.

Maybe someone from The Acaeum was the winning bidder originally and could explain what happened.

AD&D Dungeons & Dragons Tomb of the Lizard King Module I2 SEALED SHRINK

0***4Feedback Score (3691)        C $372.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:28:40pm PST
o***rFeedback Score (673)        C $367.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:28:58pm PST
o***rFeedback Score (673)        C $300.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:28:32pm PST
2***3Feedback Score (2504)        C $100.00                25 Nov 2021 at 6:37:21pm PST
Starting price                                C $99.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:29:00pm PST

AD&D Dungeons Dragons Against the Cult of Reptile God Adventure Module N1 SEALED

1***cFeedback Score (3691)        C $341.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:43:40pm PST
p***8Feedback Score (673)        C $336.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:43:58pm PST
p***8Feedback Score (673)        C $306.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:43:56pm PST
k***oFeedback Score (10)                C $235.11                2 Dec 2021 at 6:43:51pm PST
1***1Feedback Score (1618)        C $100.98                26 Nov 2021 at 5:52:01am PST
Starting price                                C $99.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:43:59pm PST

D&D Dungeons and Dragons Master of the Desert Nomads Module X4 SEALED SHRINK

_***0Feedback Score (3691)        C $302.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:24:58pm PST
4***3Feedback Score (673)        C $297.00                2 Dec 2021 at 6:25:23pm PST
i***iFeedback Score (10)                C $205.01                2 Dec 2021 at 6:25:22pm PST
Starting price                                C $149.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:25:27pm PST

AD&D Dungeons and Dragons Danger at Dunwater Adventure Module U2 SEALED SHRINK

7***1Feedback Score (3691)        C $211.06                2 Dec 2021 at 6:37:10pm PST
k***7Feedback Score (1618)        C $208.56                2 Dec 2021 at 6:37:26pm PST
k***7Feedback Score (1618)        C $208.56                2 Dec 2021 at 6:37:25pm PST
k***7Feedback Score (1618)        C $100.98                26 Nov 2021 at 5:52:23am PST
Starting price                                C $99.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:37:28pm PST

AD&D Dungeons & Dragons Oasis of the White Palm Module I4 SEALED SHRINK

4***0Feedback Score (3691)        C $199.99                2 Dec 2021 at 6:48:44pm PST
Starting price                                C $199.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:49:06pm PST

AD&D Dungeons and Dragons Dungeonland Adventure Module EX1 SEALED SHRINK

u***4Feedback Score (3691)        C $190.50                3 Dec 2021 at 4:23:44pm PST
i***rFeedback Score (836)                C $188.00                3 Dec 2021 at 4:55:38pm PST
i***rFeedback Score (836)                C $188.00                3 Dec 2021 at 4:55:38pm PST
i***rFeedback Score (836)                C $188.00                3 Dec 2021 at 4:55:37pm PST
Starting price                                C $99.99                26 Nov 2021 at 4:55:45pm PST

D&D Dungeons & Dragons Blizzard Pass Solo Module M1 with Pen SEALED SHRINK

r***5Feedback Score (673)        C $119.39                2 Dec 2021 at 6:18:11pm PST
4***4Feedback Score (943)        C $116.89                2 Dec 2021 at 3:25:48pm PST
_***4Feedback Score (59)                C $100.00                1 Dec 2021 at 2:35:54pm PST
Starting price                                C $99.99                25 Nov 2021 at 6:18:15pm PST

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 am 

Hi.

Yes I am the 673.

The one that confuses me is the EX1 he bid against someone else, but on the next day. Why would the winner back off the 3 he won and then bid on another one the next day? Would love to know if the same thing happened with U2 which I did not bid on. Did the 2nd bidder get a 2nd chance?

I had not seen the I4 which admittedly makes it seem fine, but if not for EX1, I'd be taking the 2nd offers. I was about to accept the 2nd offers on the 3 I came second on since eBay wasn't helpful, but when the EX1 one finished and I saw the same winner who had already backed out of the other 3, I got the jitters

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 100 of 104123 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101102103104