Shady Dealers
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Shady Dealers:Hurts the hobby of D&D or hurts the hobby of Collecting?
I do agree that unless the module is labelled as a reprint, then it could be interpreted as misleading, but as far as I'm aware there isn't anything that says you have to label legitimately purchased and printed products as being in any way fake or not legitimate products.
That's a problem for educating collectors, and will probably result in a lot of collectors finding out that they have bought reprints, but the obligation is on the collector to research and find out what they are collecting. In fact that's a lot of the draw towards collecting for me.
If a buyer makes a few $20 mistakes or overpays $50 for a reprint they could have commissioned themselves a lot cheaper, then they learn, but I made substantially greater mistakes in the early years of my collecting career, and I suspect many of us have. SO I don't think collectors will be put off. I think they'll learn quickly enough.
As for playing, anything that gets product into the hands of players I think is a good thing.
Possibly the presence of reprints lowers the price of common collectables, but the rares are rare and I don't think they'll be harmed.
Wait until you get high quality minty woodgrains flooding the market at $100 a pop.

Surprisingly PODs and PDFs actually help the collectable part of the hobby. One of the things about the PODs is that they are lower quality. Everything in a POD is bound together, maps are cut into page sections, sometimes to the point of uselessness. The binding quality can vary greatly.

The point is that the selling of PODs at collector prices is a scam, allowed or not, but the misrepresentation of PODs as originals is fraud. Reprints help the hobby, scams hurt it.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:01 am 

I'm surprised that the POD is giving a boost to the collectables market.
I do know that the presence of PDFs has opened my eyes to the likes of Swordfish Islands, which I'm in the market for provided they are the original prints, and not POD.
And possibly a few other products that I have become aware of, also. But it's a minefield to navigate when you can't actually touch the product, and the 9 times out of 10 the seller hasn't got a clue if it's original, with the new stuff.

As for the old (vintage) stuff, misrepresentation only really happens when the seller says this is a genuine original and not a reprint. If that assumption is made by the buyer, through naivety or ignorance, then the seller has not misrepresented or mislead anyone. I don't even see it as lying by omission, because he has no obligation to assume ignorance on the part of the buyer. I'd like to think I wouldn't buy a book thinking I was buying an original and find I had bought a POD copy, hence my nervousness about buying hardcopies of PDFs I thing are worth buying, but if I do, and provided the seller has not misrepresented what he is selling, I would be inclined to chalk it up to my own ignorance and learn from the experience.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:10 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Shady Dealers:
I  think all this pod reprint selling is a nasty scam that hurts the hobby.

This seller seems to be clearly describing their POD items as reprints, both in the title and description, although the item shown here does not, so maybe this is a new, more transparent approach.  I don't have an issue with re-selling the POD items, as long as they are described accurately. That is a pretty big caveat, I admit, and as collectors we need to be watchful for stuff that is not the genuine article, and this makes it a little bit harder.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 am 

Adding in this thread as well at the suggestion of a more experienced member.

Seller heracleides (mentioned in an earlier thread here as well) is back to selling fakes of (primarily zines) from Traveller and other systems. ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&LH_Specif ... p;_fosrp=1 Jerry Sanders out of Apache Junction, AZ but answers messages as Paul for what it's worth.

The Oracle set at least was confirmed as stolen content by the owner (issue 6 only existed in a post-original version sold through kickstarter a few years ago). In the items I returned at least one came with a CD/RW copy of the zine.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:38 pm 

vinylgeneration - if you look at it on eBay with PC, it says reprint right at the top and says how it's made. Don't like it, assume the IP holder doesn't either but...

trollxgames - if those are reprints, that's 'all in' shady. Fire Away!!!

Previous