Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 97 of 104123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 am 

Bargle wrote in Shady Dealers:
It's still shady if it's unethical, right? I know that his $70 Rule Cyclopedia's are the DTRPG reprints which are $30 for a HC copy right now.

I don't think this is unethical, he is simply reselling them at a profit. His listings don't represent these as originals, they clearly state that they are reprints. His feedback at 100% indicates that the buyers are aware of this. (He does have one neutral that was NOT aware, but states that he was refunded). If a buyer's lack of market awareness is such that they are willing to pay 3x what they could for these, that is their problem.

A couple areas where the listings could be more transparent:
- Could list as reprint in the title
- They are listed as "Pre-owned," and while this may well be the case that they have some wear, I think using that term could lead one to believe they are "vintage."

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:55 am 

Exactly why I posted this under shady dealers.  There's some willful manipulation / deception in these listings.  They aren't being completely transparent about what they are selling.  To the uniformed person, it would look like they are selling revised printings, which are in great shape.  Granted, the seller would have a much more difficult time selling them at the prices they are being sold at, if they were completely honest about what the items are.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm 

So, you are saying it's shady to call this unethical?   :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:09 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:It is technically legitimate, and the money is great!  The Rules Cyclopedia sales interested me the most as the binding on many of the original books were less than ideal.  I wonder if the DriveThruRPG books are any better?  If nothing else, I might sell my original volume and get the reprint.  Anyone have experience with these reprint bindings?   :?

So, I just sold my VG+ Rules Cyclopedia for $68.99 plus shipping.  If I need another one(a reprint), I can get it from DriveThruRPG for $30.00 plus shipping, brand new.  I know my decision goes against the collecting grain, but it made sense, and cents, to me.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:55 am 

If you aren't collecting it, why not!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:48 am 

Adding an Acaeum member on here as a shady dealer

Failed their kickstarter fulfilment to everyone but is selling the product to new buyers, not those who bankrolled him to the sum of $18K

The Cataclysm is Here...

Billbarsh

Foul, if this isn’t ok, please remove it

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:46 pm 

Within bounds of common decency, everyone is entitled to express their opinion on here.  Similarly, Bill can choose to defend himself here.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 pm 

Well I’ve ordered/paid/ been non-delivered/ non-refunded from books I’ve bought through his website, so maybe he’s not actually shipping Cataclysms to new buyers.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:44 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Shady Dealers:Well I’ve ordered/paid/ been non-delivered/ non-refunded from books I’ve bought through his website, so maybe he’s not actually shipping Cataclysms to new buyers.

On that basis maybe he’s not shipping anything but just binning the extra money??  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:55 am 

First, I will go back and read through some of these later tonight to answer objectively and coherently. I will say that at this time, I know nearly all sets were shipped. As everyone clearly is aware, the massive length of time it took me to complete and deliver this project was certainly, well, horrible. That is in me and I have always taken responsibility for that. The problem with delivery of some sets is that KS has removed some
Buyers who are no longer on KS OR WE HAVE. BAD EMAIL ADDRESSES. I have noted this in updates.

So I will our this right out there, if you have not received your set, please email me:  [email protected]

Again, I have made plenty of mistakes on this and I am truly sorry. It doesn’t go a long way, but there it is.

I will read back through these and respond as I can. Especially to backers. Speculation by those who aren’t backers is fine. I’m a target-rich environment regarding this so it is what it is.

Respectfully
Bill

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:21 am 

I received mine.  Like Bill says, it took a while, but I think he means to fulfil his promise.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:08 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Shady Dealers:Adding an Acaeum member on here as a shady dealer

Failed their kickstarter fulfilment to everyone but is selling the product to new buyers, not those who bankrolled him to the sum of $18K

The Cataclysm is Here...

Billbarsh

Foul, if this isn’t ok, please remove it

Seems fair to me.
Fewer apologists around (though still some, but they are definitely more reserved in their backing of Bill).

And alluding to Bills post about being a target, and wether people backed his project or not. Frankly I am surprised by the low level of shit he got bearing in mind the name of the Kickstarter, there are actually only a few people who have really called him out, I have definitely seen worse dogpiling here so Bill got off quite lightly. And as for backing the project; I am on record as rather liking to have it but not backing it. I didn’t back it because I generally don’t kickstart stuff but to be fair with Bills record of dropping the ball in the past I definitely had reservations, quite rightly as it turns out. I am, of course, quite jealous of those who own this but I can live with the lack in my life. There will be those who say the wait was worth it or that the delay was immaterial. To them I would say make sure you give that same courtesy to any other designer whose game was due in 2013.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:39 am 

Interesting that was your first post on the site in a loooooooong time though Bill

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:19 pm 

bbarsh wrote in Shady Dealers:First, I will go back and read through some of these later tonight to answer objectively
Bill

Dated March 6th

Now March 14th
I don’t care if Bill replies and explains or not, calls anyone out or highlights problems from the Kickstarter or not. However this has been the failure for 7 years (or whatever ridiculous amount it is now). “I’ll be back tonight” “I’ll post an update on Kickstarter this weekend” “I’ll post all box sets by the end of the month”

All just BS that even on something as simple as trying to rescue his credibility and reputation with the forum who backed him for years before the Kickstarter debacle, he still says one thing and then disappears for another year...

Bill, genuinely, I like you and I think your products are excellent quality, both written and produced.
I have never spilled things that you and I have spoken about privately and I hope that what did cause you delays years ago on Kickstarter are better now.

But I reiterate that you’ve promised the world and delivered feck all really in 7 years and I wish you’d just run pacesetter as a hobby and not as a business.

I don’t wish you ill or try to make out you as a person are bad, but just saying, “it’s all on me” doesn’t make up for the fact you’ve failed dozens of promises and there are still people who don’t have their sets you regularly post on the Kickstarter trying to get them

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 pm 

So how many people here have still not received their box?

I have mine...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:37 pm 

I think the number of people waiting to receive theirs is higher than COVID-19 deaths.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:35 pm 

Got my box set a while back. I think I may be missing some contributor material though.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:08 pm 

I'm only missing the Contributor book.

Héctor.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 97 of 104123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 102103104