Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 97 of 104123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Shady Dealers:You've run into a common problem with sellers of collectibles. You really care about condition and a lot of sellers don't like dealing with that......

I'm a little peculiar myself like this on eBay.  I block any buyer who gives me less than optimal feedback or returns an item.  I have blocked buyers who ask lots of questions.  One or two questions is fine.   I feel like I provide enough information and good pictures(s) for buyers to determine whether they want the item or not.  I also block any buyer who asks for a discount because they feel like the item isn't as good as advertised once they receive it.

I state in many of my comic book and collectible card sales that the condition is not good enough to be slabbed/graded.  I don't do eBay to make a living or even make much money, but I'd rather just limit the hassles and drama.  You can't eliminate it completely, but good item descriptions and slightly generous grading helps reduce most drama.  I also try to ship super quick and pack well which seems to ameliorate any other perceived or real issues.  My blocked buyers list is fairly long, but while I added to it often the first five years or so of selling, I rarely add to it today.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:46 am 

stylean wrote in Shady Dealers:Oh absolutely.  I just felt bad that I was using up his time and that he had all these issues with image sizes and his camera (even gave him my number and told him to text me the pictures), the he just up and bails on all of it.

Messaging your phone number or email address can cause problems for sellers. I'm surprised that the algorithm that pre-checks messages even allowed it.

They are very concerned with sellers selling outside of the site and will suspend sellers even on just suspicion. Your guy might have rabbited on you because of that.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This says unopened but it looks like a bag that is taped down near the top on the back.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Shady Dealers:
Messaging your phone number or email address can cause problems for sellers. I'm surprised that the algorithm that pre-checks messages even allowed it.

They are very concerned with sellers selling outside of the site and will suspend sellers even on just suspicion. Your guy might have rabbited on you because of that.

Necroing a response - he sent me an email from his store (I assume brick and mortar), not related to eBay, to solicit his/her additional items, to my email address. We were already outside of eBay and on personal contacts.

Like I said, annoying.  I’m a grown up, I will accept flaws on certain items (we all have our standards), but not to show them or disclose them when I’m specifically asking is meh.  Especially since I already bought one I was good with and he cancelled that simply because I was asking about more.  Shrug.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am 

Maybe Shady isn’t quite the word but this is quite the song and dance in reply to my question: is the poster map included?

New message from: shopgameworld (3,381Red Star)
We sold a few from this lot with no issues, we recieved the book in a cellophane bag that was sealed previously still stickered with an old local Spokane comic book store price tag. We have decided not to break the seal in case they weren't used. We have faith that it has kept complete like the others we have received.

Could have looked in the bag in less time than it took to type that story.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Shady Dealers:Maybe Shady isn’t quite the word but this is quite the song and dance in reply to my question: is the poster map included?

New message from: shopgameworld (3,381Red Star)
We sold a few from this lot with no issues, we recieved the book in a cellophane bag that was sealed previously still stickered with an old local Spokane comic book store price tag. We have decided not to break the seal in case they weren't used. We have faith that it has kept complete like the others we have received.

Could have looked in the bag in less time than it took to type that story.

Its a case of Schrodinger's Map. if they don't open the bag the poster map both is and is not there, and more importantly they don't have to change the price.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:53 pm 

This dealer may not be shady (it's possible that this exact year is merely a recurring typo - and maybe the $399 price tag is a typo also), and this listing is neither D&D nor TSR related, but I've seen enough of these twitchy-finger-collector-exploits lately to want to post it.

Does anybody have the heart to tell this seller that Ultima V Warriors of Destiny was released in 1988?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm 

stylean wrote in Shady Dealers:
Like I said, annoying.  I’m a grown up, I will accept flaws on certain items (we all have our standards), but not to show them or disclose them when I’m specifically asking is meh.  Especially since I already bought one I was good with and he cancelled that simply because I was asking about more.  Shrug.

Yeah, some sellers just aren't worth dealing with.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Shady Dealers:

...Does anybody have the heart to tell this seller that Ultima V Warriors of Destiny was released in 1988?

That's what makes it so rare!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

This looks to be completely legitimate, but the item presentation and pricing are a bit shady, at least from my perspective:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

These appear to be nothing more than DriveThruRPG items, which could be purchased for 1/2 to 1/5 the seller's BIN cost, if purchased from DriveThruRPG directly.

The uniformed buyer ends up paying a lot more than they should:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Seller's made a tidy profit with very little effort...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:47 pm 

dbartman wrote in Shady Dealers:Seller's made a tidy profit with very little effort...

It is technically legitimate, and the money is great!  The Rules Cyclopedia sales interested me the most as the binding on many of the original books were less than ideal.  I wonder if the DriveThruRPG books are any better?  If nothing else, I might sell my original volume and get the reprint.  Anyone have experience with these reprint bindings?   :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:
It is technically legitimate, and the money is great!  The Rules Cyclopedia sales interested me the most as the binding on many of the original books were less than ideal.  I wonder if the DriveThruRPG books are any better?  If nothing else, I might sell my original volume and get the reprint.  Anyone have experience with these reprint bindings?   :?

It's still shady if it's unethical, right? I know that his $70 Rule Cyclopedia's are the DTRPG reprints which are $30 for a HC copy right now.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 am 

Bargle wrote in Shady Dealers:
It's still shady if it's unethical, right? I know that his $70 Rule Cyclopedia's are the DTRPG reprints which are $30 for a HC copy right now.

I don't think this is unethical, he is simply reselling them at a profit. His listings don't represent these as originals, they clearly state that they are reprints. His feedback at 100% indicates that the buyers are aware of this. (He does have one neutral that was NOT aware, but states that he was refunded). If a buyer's lack of market awareness is such that they are willing to pay 3x what they could for these, that is their problem.

A couple areas where the listings could be more transparent:
- Could list as reprint in the title
- They are listed as "Pre-owned," and while this may well be the case that they have some wear, I think using that term could lead one to believe they are "vintage."

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:55 am 

Exactly why I posted this under shady dealers.  There's some willful manipulation / deception in these listings.  They aren't being completely transparent about what they are selling.  To the uniformed person, it would look like they are selling revised printings, which are in great shape.  Granted, the seller would have a much more difficult time selling them at the prices they are being sold at, if they were completely honest about what the items are.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm 

So, you are saying it's shady to call this unethical?   :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:09 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:It is technically legitimate, and the money is great!  The Rules Cyclopedia sales interested me the most as the binding on many of the original books were less than ideal.  I wonder if the DriveThruRPG books are any better?  If nothing else, I might sell my original volume and get the reprint.  Anyone have experience with these reprint bindings?   :?

So, I just sold my VG+ Rules Cyclopedia for $68.99 plus shipping.  If I need another one(a reprint), I can get it from DriveThruRPG for $30.00 plus shipping, brand new.  I know my decision goes against the collecting grain, but it made sense, and cents, to me.   8)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:55 am 

If you aren't collecting it, why not!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:48 am 

Adding an Acaeum member on here as a shady dealer

Failed their kickstarter fulfilment to everyone but is selling the product to new buyers, not those who bankrolled him to the sum of $18K

The Cataclysm is Here...

Billbarsh

Foul, if this isn’t ok, please remove it

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 97 of 104123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 102103104