Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 104123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 102103104
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I think the seller is a member here, but this is still a bit shady.  These modules might have been from a 10th anniversary pack at one time, but they aren't anymore.

There are a lot of modules out there that could be cobbled together like this listing.  It is quite obviously set up to snag an unsuspecting and inexperienced collector.

These came up for sale before and were posted in another thread, without the S3:

Re: New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year

Looks like he's trying to Frankenstein a 1102XA pack.  3/4 of the way there now, minus the insert and SW.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 am 

What is disingenuous about the listing is the suggestion that those modules are in NM to Mint condition. Of course they are NOT, they each have a hole in their sides! If they were absolutely perfect otherwise, I would grade them as Very Good minus. With any flaws at all, I would grade them in the good range.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 pm 

dbartman wrote in Shady Dealers:

The edges are clipped indicating (IIRC) that these were sent back (probably as overstock) to the manufacturer to be destroyed. The clipping ruins the value. I would rate these (without the clipping) as VG to maybe FN, but with the clipping, it drops the value to PR.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm 

New terms to watch: Preservation Copy, Preservation Package, Replica

Looks to be a scanned and printed copy, plus in this case, providing a DVD-Rom with a PDF. Given the fact non-RPG items are sold, and the infrequency of sales, I'm not certain if the seller is doing this on their own, or if they are simply passing things through they got from somewhere else, like yard sales or something.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:33 pm 

Dunno about shady but definitely ‘wtf'.  Bought a shrink module of eBay, seller emailed me and said he had a lot more and sent me a list.  So I asked and got some pictures.  Seller said something about not being able to get good images due to size restrictions.  I looked over what he sent, which were pictures of only the fronts.  Pointed out a rip in one the books, and asked to see the back of the books I was interested in.  Also said that if there was other damage not visible to take it off my list (I was looking at like 7 books).

Seller cancels my original order, blocks me, and then says sorry everything has something wrong with it.  I dunno.  Annoying.

Aslgamer747

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 pm 

Hmm.  Seller seems to have a good reputation.  Items listed seem to be legitimate.  That's a weird one, as nothing you indicated seems to justify that type of reaction.

Do you have any recent history of giving a negative to a seller?  That can sometimes scare off a seller, even if the negative feedback is legitimate.  You could always appeal to eBay and see what they can do.  It's not right to cancel your order and block you.  They might have been trying to prevent you from giving them a negative rating in the future.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:03 am 

You've run into a common problem with sellers of collectibles. You really care about condition and a lot of sellers don't like dealing with that. All of the items he has up now and everything he had sold (that I could still see his completed listings of) has flaws of some sort. They are definitely legitimate but have shrink splits, corner wear, etc.

You'd think most collectors would be very particular about condition but most aren't in my experience. A lot of sellers would rather not deal with someone that is and just move on to the next potential customer that cares less about it than you.

You can get an idea of sellers that are like this when they put in their phrases like "in great condition for its age", or spends a lot of words talking about rarity and crap like that. Trust me, you're not alone. Just have to tell yourself that these aren't the sellers you are looking for, move along, move along.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:45 am 

Oh absolutely.  I just felt bad that I was using up his time and that he had all these issues with image sizes and his camera (even gave him my number and told him to text me the pictures), the he just up and bails on all of it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Shady Dealers:You've run into a common problem with sellers of collectibles. You really care about condition and a lot of sellers don't like dealing with that......

I'm a little peculiar myself like this on eBay.  I block any buyer who gives me less than optimal feedback or returns an item.  I have blocked buyers who ask lots of questions.  One or two questions is fine.   I feel like I provide enough information and good pictures(s) for buyers to determine whether they want the item or not.  I also block any buyer who asks for a discount because they feel like the item isn't as good as advertised once they receive it.

I state in many of my comic book and collectible card sales that the condition is not good enough to be slabbed/graded.  I don't do eBay to make a living or even make much money, but I'd rather just limit the hassles and drama.  You can't eliminate it completely, but good item descriptions and slightly generous grading helps reduce most drama.  I also try to ship super quick and pack well which seems to ameliorate any other perceived or real issues.  My blocked buyers list is fairly long, but while I added to it often the first five years or so of selling, I rarely add to it today.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:46 am 

stylean wrote in Shady Dealers:Oh absolutely.  I just felt bad that I was using up his time and that he had all these issues with image sizes and his camera (even gave him my number and told him to text me the pictures), the he just up and bails on all of it.

Messaging your phone number or email address can cause problems for sellers. I'm surprised that the algorithm that pre-checks messages even allowed it.

They are very concerned with sellers selling outside of the site and will suspend sellers even on just suspicion. Your guy might have rabbited on you because of that.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am 

This says unopened but it looks like a bag that is taped down near the top on the back.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Shady Dealers:
Messaging your phone number or email address can cause problems for sellers. I'm surprised that the algorithm that pre-checks messages even allowed it.

They are very concerned with sellers selling outside of the site and will suspend sellers even on just suspicion. Your guy might have rabbited on you because of that.

Necroing a response - he sent me an email from his store (I assume brick and mortar), not related to eBay, to solicit his/her additional items, to my email address. We were already outside of eBay and on personal contacts.

Like I said, annoying.  I’m a grown up, I will accept flaws on certain items (we all have our standards), but not to show them or disclose them when I’m specifically asking is meh.  Especially since I already bought one I was good with and he cancelled that simply because I was asking about more.  Shrug.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am 

Maybe Shady isn’t quite the word but this is quite the song and dance in reply to my question: is the poster map included?

New message from: shopgameworld (3,381Red Star)
We sold a few from this lot with no issues, we recieved the book in a cellophane bag that was sealed previously still stickered with an old local Spokane comic book store price tag. We have decided not to break the seal in case they weren't used. We have faith that it has kept complete like the others we have received.

Could have looked in the bag in less time than it took to type that story.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:54 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Shady Dealers:Maybe Shady isn’t quite the word but this is quite the song and dance in reply to my question: is the poster map included?

New message from: shopgameworld (3,381Red Star)
We sold a few from this lot with no issues, we recieved the book in a cellophane bag that was sealed previously still stickered with an old local Spokane comic book store price tag. We have decided not to break the seal in case they weren't used. We have faith that it has kept complete like the others we have received.

Could have looked in the bag in less time than it took to type that story.

Its a case of Schrodinger's Map. if they don't open the bag the poster map both is and is not there, and more importantly they don't have to change the price.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:53 pm 

This dealer may not be shady (it's possible that this exact year is merely a recurring typo - and maybe the $399 price tag is a typo also), and this listing is neither D&D nor TSR related, but I've seen enough of these twitchy-finger-collector-exploits lately to want to post it.

Does anybody have the heart to tell this seller that Ultima V Warriors of Destiny was released in 1988?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm 

stylean wrote in Shady Dealers:
Like I said, annoying.  I’m a grown up, I will accept flaws on certain items (we all have our standards), but not to show them or disclose them when I’m specifically asking is meh.  Especially since I already bought one I was good with and he cancelled that simply because I was asking about more.  Shrug.

Yeah, some sellers just aren't worth dealing with.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Shady Dealers:

...Does anybody have the heart to tell this seller that Ultima V Warriors of Destiny was released in 1988?

That's what makes it so rare!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

This looks to be completely legitimate, but the item presentation and pricing are a bit shady, at least from my perspective:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

These appear to be nothing more than DriveThruRPG items, which could be purchased for 1/2 to 1/5 the seller's BIN cost, if purchased from DriveThruRPG directly.

The uniformed buyer ends up paying a lot more than they should:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Seller's made a tidy profit with very little effort...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 104123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 102103104