Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 104123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:38 pm 

I like the Shady Dealers thread and believe it serves a useful purpose.  There is room for give and take, updates, confirmation and confrontation.  You can embrace the content or reject it easily.

I personally have about fifty or sixty people I have put on my personal eBay Block bidder/buyer list, maybe more.  Anytime I have some give me neutral or negative feedback, or anytime I have someone request a partial refund or return an item, they get added to my Block bidder/buyer list.  The old quote, "Hurt me once, shame on you; hurt me twice, shame on me" is foremost in my thinking.  I am not worried about running out of buyers.  But posting all those ID's for everyone here provides insufficient context and probably hurts some people who just had a bad day....or maybe I was having a bad day.

IF we created a list, even a TOP TEN SHADY DEALERS LIST, for everyone to access, it would have to be a list of widely known and accepted shady dealers, but as recent thread posts have revealed, not everyone feels the same about every dealer listed in this thread.  People can disagree, and we can still have a useful thread for everyone.  A possible compromise of that would be for individuals to submit their own top five/ten/twenty list of Shady Dealers if they wanted, and then anyone else could submit their own list if they chose to do so.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am 

I concur with the prior posts. My suggestion is a simple one.

Provide a static list at the top of this thread that lists eBay IDs that have a poor reputation with members (plural) of this forum (a consensus if you will). The list could even be just those eBay IDs that are blocked from being posted on this forum. It would be helpful, as there is no easy way to see who has been a poor buyer/seller. The description would be something akin to:

"The members of this forum have experienced multiple negative transactions either buying or selling items with the following list of eBay IDs and have found their practices to be at least "questionable". This information is being provided for reference only and is not an indictment against these individuals, simply a Buyer/Seller Beware. To learn more, please feel free to search their eBay ID on this forum in order to make an informed decision."

eBay ID List
cougar_rinard
littleprincessfreya
moneyforoldrope2010
cthulhu-hand-lukes_com
she_wolf626
lisas_stuff_too!
jonb7839
ETC

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am 

Please Note: I do not think the following eBay ID is a "Shady Dealer", but just someone to either avoid or be aware if you plan on transacting with them.

What Occurred: Submitted 'Best Offer' on two (2) items. Seller countered & I made another offer and agreed to the other. Seller agreed to my counter offer.
Both items were offered with Free Shipping. I paid for both items and included a message with payment as I have done with ALL of my several thousand purchases.
My message, as some here have seen, is one I keep in Notepad, so I can just Copy/Paste. The messages asks to please package the items safely & securely and to write "Do Not Bend" or "Handle with Care" to insure the items arrive in their current conditions.

The transaction was cancelled by the seller and the reason given was:
"I saw your added requirements for shipping. As they raise the cost of shipping, these really needed to be discussed ahead of payment, at least, if not prior to purchase. As I specified in the listing, there is to be no negotiation after the fact, and these requirements certainly fit that. I will take your added request as your desire to cancel out. Sorry this didn't work out."

I do not see how asking to take care in shipping is a "negotiation", but to the seller it apparently is. Here is the seller's "Out Clause" in all listings:
"NO NEGOTIATING AFTER THE AUCTION, PLEASE! Ask questions before the close - don't assume.  Once you have bid, you are agreeing to the terms stipulated.  Charges are incurred just to list an item, so backing out incurs a loss and a cost to you.  If you are some sort of post-auction, haggle-junkie, please do not look for a fix here."

"FINALLY:  I reserve the right to void the auction after closing for reasons of "difficulty".  I do this for fun -- well, clearing out mathoms - not profit…"

That last one is amazing ... basically, if the seller feels you are being "DIFFICULT", your 'binding transaction' can be voided at will ... since 'difficult' is subjective.
Obviously this is a violation of eBay Policies and the main reason for this post.

eBay ID: Mathomend
eBay Listings: ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Shady Dealers:Please Note: I do not think the following eBay ID is a "Shady Dealer", but just someone to either avoid or be aware if you plan on transacting with them.

What Occurred: Submitted 'Best Offer' on two (2) items. Seller countered & I made another offer and agreed to the other. Seller agreed to my counter offer.
Both items were offered with Free Shipping. I paid for both items and included a message with payment as I have done with ALL of my several thousand purchases.
My message, as some here have seen, is one I keep in Notepad, so I can just Copy/Paste. The messages asks to please package the items safely & securely and to write "Do Not Bend" or "Handle with Care" to insure the items arrive in their current conditions.

The transaction was cancelled by the seller and the reason given was:
"I saw your added requirements for shipping. As they raise the cost of shipping, these really needed to be discussed ahead of payment, at least, if not prior to purchase. As I specified in the listing, there is to be no negotiation after the fact, and these requirements certainly fit that. I will take your added request as your desire to cancel out. Sorry this didn't work out."

I do not see how asking to take care in shipping is a "negotiation", but to the seller it apparently is. Here is the seller's "Out Clause" in all listings:
"NO NEGOTIATING AFTER THE AUCTION, PLEASE! Ask questions before the close - don't assume.  Once you have bid, you are agreeing to the terms stipulated.  Charges are incurred just to list an item, so backing out incurs a loss and a cost to you.  If you are some sort of post-auction, haggle-junkie, please do not look for a fix here."

"FINALLY:  I reserve the right to void the auction after closing for reasons of "difficulty".  I do this for fun -- well, clearing out mathoms - not profit…"

That last one is amazing ... basically, if the seller feels you are being "DIFFICULT", your 'binding transaction' can be voided at will ... since 'difficult' is subjective.
Obviously this is a violation of eBay Policies and the main reason for this post.

eBay ID: Mathomend
eBay Listings: ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thank you - Paul

Hmmm. It is good that he does list specific rules (I do that on my listings, as well) but he probably could benefit from displaying more tact and friendliness. Perhaps he could have taken a good look at your buyer feedback along with the feedback you have left out for sellers (and realized you are NOT a scammer), and then reached out to you in a one-time effort to work something out? Being overly snappy and judging isn't good for a seller trying to get repeat business. If this seller reads these forums, or is in fact on here---yes, you do need to cover your ass, particularly with international orders (although it looks like he does US-only shipping), but more important you need to be patient and flexible with buyers who are eager and good-willed but perhaps did a human error by not reading every detail of the rules and letting it all register. This happens to everyone once in a while. We all mess up over small things, every now and then. In this case "shady" may be something he is trying to avoid by having those rules, but by not reaching out to talk to you prior to the cancellations, he undermines his own desirability as a seller.  Of course, it only takes a minute to put some friendlier language in those rules lists, so people are informed but not accidentally intimidated. Even on eBay, legit good customer service goes a long, long way. have some patience and flexibility without veering into grey areas or blurred lines.

---Pauly

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 am 

Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

This space can be YOURS if the price is right!!! (Okay, still working on this . . .  :p)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Shady Dealers:Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules Box Set #1011 TSR 1981 Used In Good Condition 46363010119 | eBay

I bought this because the box looked ok. I took the shrink off as soon as i got it. The rule book and B2 were in perfect condition. It also included a Epic illustrated magazine in nice condition. (Its time for me to go look this up. I dont know what it is.) No dice or crayon. The listing did say it was re-wrapped. What can I say, I roll the dice sometimes. :)

Edit: He also accepted a best offer $25 flat.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:51 pm 

PaulyDragon wrote in Shady Dealers:Buyer Beware! Not only did this person add new shrinkwrap to a used item, but he also freely acknowledges it like this isn't a big deal. He also has it listed as "New". This seller is part of the reason why there are fake shrinkwraps, to begin with. AVOID.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Not only did the seller state clearly it was re-wrapped it is obvious looking at it.

I don't agree with re-wrapping in any way shape or form on old collectibles. Given the shrink market these days I find it misleading at best but not sure it throws them in the "shady dealer" category yet. What was the initial buy it now price? Maybe he was hoping someone would jump but utlimately a $25 best offer isn't bad if contents are minty. Did it have dice too?

I don't see this very often although I know some folks think everything in shrink has been re-wrapped. lol

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm 

PM-Knight wrote in Shady Dealers:I concur with the prior posts. My suggestion is a simple one.

Provide a static list at the top of this thread that lists eBay IDs that have a poor reputation with members (plural) of this forum (a consensus if you will). The list could even be just those eBay IDs that are blocked from being posted on this forum. It would be helpful, as there is no easy way to see who has been a poor buyer/seller. The description would be something akin to:

"The members of this forum have experienced multiple negative transactions either buying or selling items with the following list of eBay IDs and have found their practices to be at least "questionable". This information is being provided for reference only and is not an indictment against these individuals, simply a Buyer/Seller Beware. To learn more, please feel free to search their eBay ID on this forum in order to make an informed decision."

eBay ID List
cougar_rinard
littleprincessfreya
moneyforoldrope2010
cthulhu-hand-lukes_com
she_wolf626
lisas_stuff_too!
jonb7839
ETC

Thank you - Paul

I had a few items from she_wolf626 on my watch list. Reminds me I need to visit here more often. Seller feedback isn't terrible, how did they end up on the shady dealers list?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm 

Love that he has it as "Almost Complete" and yet has the cojones to say that it's new.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm 

Tszii wrote in Shady Dealers:It also included a Epic illustrated magazine in nice condition. (Its time for me to go look this up. I dont know what it is.)

Epic Magazine was just that... Epic... It was to comic books at the time what graphic novels are now. You got the best writers and best artists together and produced some killer stories. Yes, it was very much aimed at an adult audience.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I think the seller is a member here, but this is still a bit shady.  These modules might have been from a 10th anniversary pack at one time, but they aren't anymore.

There are a lot of modules out there that could be cobbled together like this listing.  It is quite obviously set up to snag an unsuspecting and inexperienced collector.

These came up for sale before and were posted in another thread, without the S3:

Re: New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year

Looks like he's trying to Frankenstein a 1102XA pack.  3/4 of the way there now, minus the insert and SW.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:04 am 

What is disingenuous about the listing is the suggestion that those modules are in NM to Mint condition. Of course they are NOT, they each have a hole in their sides! If they were absolutely perfect otherwise, I would grade them as Very Good minus. With any flaws at all, I would grade them in the good range.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 pm 

dbartman wrote in Shady Dealers:

The edges are clipped indicating (IIRC) that these were sent back (probably as overstock) to the manufacturer to be destroyed. The clipping ruins the value. I would rate these (without the clipping) as VG to maybe FN, but with the clipping, it drops the value to PR.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm 

New terms to watch: Preservation Copy, Preservation Package, Replica

Looks to be a scanned and printed copy, plus in this case, providing a DVD-Rom with a PDF. Given the fact non-RPG items are sold, and the infrequency of sales, I'm not certain if the seller is doing this on their own, or if they are simply passing things through they got from somewhere else, like yard sales or something.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:33 pm 

Dunno about shady but definitely ‘wtf'.  Bought a shrink module of eBay, seller emailed me and said he had a lot more and sent me a list.  So I asked and got some pictures.  Seller said something about not being able to get good images due to size restrictions.  I looked over what he sent, which were pictures of only the fronts.  Pointed out a rip in one the books, and asked to see the back of the books I was interested in.  Also said that if there was other damage not visible to take it off my list (I was looking at like 7 books).

Seller cancels my original order, blocks me, and then says sorry everything has something wrong with it.  I dunno.  Annoying.

Aslgamer747

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:49 pm 

Hmm.  Seller seems to have a good reputation.  Items listed seem to be legitimate.  That's a weird one, as nothing you indicated seems to justify that type of reaction.

Do you have any recent history of giving a negative to a seller?  That can sometimes scare off a seller, even if the negative feedback is legitimate.  You could always appeal to eBay and see what they can do.  It's not right to cancel your order and block you.  They might have been trying to prevent you from giving them a negative rating in the future.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:03 am 

You've run into a common problem with sellers of collectibles. You really care about condition and a lot of sellers don't like dealing with that. All of the items he has up now and everything he had sold (that I could still see his completed listings of) has flaws of some sort. They are definitely legitimate but have shrink splits, corner wear, etc.

You'd think most collectors would be very particular about condition but most aren't in my experience. A lot of sellers would rather not deal with someone that is and just move on to the next potential customer that cares less about it than you.

You can get an idea of sellers that are like this when they put in their phrases like "in great condition for its age", or spends a lot of words talking about rarity and crap like that. Trust me, you're not alone. Just have to tell yourself that these aren't the sellers you are looking for, move along, move along.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:45 am 

Oh absolutely.  I just felt bad that I was using up his time and that he had all these issues with image sizes and his camera (even gave him my number and told him to text me the pictures), the he just up and bails on all of it.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 96 of 104123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 102103104