Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 91 of 104123 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:44 pm 

Just an FYI for anyone that might have also purchased / going to purchase from this fine, outstanding gentleman - seraphic8x eBay listings

A day after the auction was over, I received a notice that he wants to cancel the orders for the items I won. In a quick summary, he says he spoke to someone overseas and he thought he could get more money for the items. I checked into his feedback and it seems I'm not the only one he is doing this to.  Personally, I won't bid on any of his stuff again.  Just my 2 cents...

Carpe DM!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:50 pm 

Say a big thank you to eBay's Global Shipping Program, too. The seller was oblivious to having been "opted in" by default or the manner in which that skewed sales by imposing illegal charges, but had noticed their international bidders had been drying up severely. They should, however, have taken action before auctions were completed (although whether eBay can/do still charge fees on early-closed auctions may have made them wait and hope?)

Which item(s) did you win; the Ptolus?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:53 pm 

I agree, selling on Ebay is awful.

I just think the seller should have contacted the buyers and discussed things before canceling the purchases. I perfectly understand wanting to get the most money for an item you sale. I just think it was handled poorly.

Had I been contacted and the situation explained prior to the cancellation I would have agreed with no hard feelings. I've made dumb mistakes on Ebay before too. I just think a message saying (paraphrased summary), "Another buyer thinks I could've sold this for more so I've canceled your purchases, plus I'm not going to re-list them until some future date when I think I can get more money", left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wasn't the winner of the Ptolus but he doesn't seem too happy either.  LOL  I won a couple of the other higher priced auction items.

If you are the seller, or know him, I'm sorry for the bad review here, but I hope you can understand my disappointment in how it was handled. I suspect from the items being sold, the seller, if not a member here, probably visits occasionally.

Carpe DM!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 am 

Won't the seller still be charged Final Value Fees?  I didn't think eBay let sellers off the hook.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:05 am 

I'm really not understanding the sympathy for the seller here. It's the nature of auctions that sometimes you get less than you thought you would. If you don't want the risk, use a buy it now option or put on a reserve.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:01 am 

This seems a bit skeezy.  Signed by Gary Gygax!  For some reason, he signed it "Mark Spencer Cocherl!"

(The much less prominent item description instead says "Signed can't tell who."  Cute.)

I suppose it's possible that they MEANT "Signed by some random person and written by Gary Gygax," but...c'mon, now.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm 

vosarnath wrote in Shady Dealers:I'm really not understanding the sympathy for the seller here. It's the nature of auctions that sometimes you get less than you thought you would. If you don't want the risk, use a buy it now option or put on a reserve.

Or do a reverse auction and keep lowering the starting price. (Saves the cost and the asshattery of a reserve price auction)

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:35 pm 

vosarnath wrote in Shady Dealers:I'm really not understanding the sympathy for the seller here.

No sympathy at all for the seller handling that in the way they did, sending out a cursory "sale cancelled" email after the auction finished. Darned poor approach and justifiably disgruntling, regardless of their reason, to be on the receiving end of that. :?

What is still an issue is not so much "sometimes you get less than you thought you would" but the fact they were apparently oblivious to having been opted into the Global Shipping Program and why that was the reason their international bids had dried up (which they had spotted, but didn't understand why). When their Castle Zagyg Upper Works sold for $317.99 anyone outside the US would've had to pay $68.91 extra purely because the sale wasn't listed in "Player's Handbooks" or another "book" category. eBay does not explain that anywhere, least of all to the seller, and they really don't seem to care.
Using a "buy it now" or reserve might've helped a bit as a safety net if they had a good idea of the marketplace value but unfortunately doesn't fix the illegal garnering of customs fees reducing the pool of prospective buyers.

JasonZavoda wrote in Shady Dealers:Or do a reverse auction and keep lowering the starting price. (Saves the cost and the asshattery of a reserve price auction)

A good option, yes. If you have a 30 day auction, start high in the knowledge that the watchers will also be informed of any reductions. Someone will hopefully break ranks and it only takes one person to do so rather than the need for two solid bidders to achieve a good result in a traditional auction. :)

As a bonus, there are no fees if the listing ends early for any reason...

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:37 pm 

faro wrote in Shady Dealers:
vosarnath wrote in Shady Dealers:I'm really not understanding the sympathy for the seller here.

No sympathy at all for the seller handling that in the way they did, sending out a cursory "sale cancelled" email after the auction finished. Darned poor approach and justifiably disgruntling, regardless of their reason, to be on the receiving end of that. :?

What is still an issue is not so much "sometimes you get less than you thought you would" but the fact they were apparently oblivious to having been opted into the Global Shipping Program and why that was the reason their international bids had dried up (which they had spotted, but didn't understand why). When their Castle Zagyg Upper Works sold for $317.99 anyone outside the US would've had to pay $68.91 extra purely because the sale wasn't listed in "Player's Handbooks" or another "book" category. eBay does not explain that anywhere, least of all to the seller, and they really don't seem to care.
Using a "buy it now" or reserve might've helped a bit as a safety net if they had a good idea of the marketplace value but unfortunately doesn't fix the illegal garnering of customs fees reducing the pool of prospective buyers.

JasonZavoda wrote in Shady Dealers:Or do a reverse auction and keep lowering the starting price. (Saves the cost and the asshattery of a reserve price auction)

A good option, yes. If you have a 30 day auction, start high in the knowledge that the watchers will also be informed of any reductions. Someone will hopefully break ranks and it only takes one person to do so rather than the need for two solid bidders to achieve a good result in a traditional auction. :)

As a bonus, there are no fees if the listing ends early for any reason...

In the past you were also able to reduce your starting bid as a seller as many times as you wanted.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:17 pm 

cdenham wrote in Shady Dealers:A day after the auction was over, I received a notice that he wants to cancel the orders for the items I won. In a quick summary, he says he spoke to someone overseas and he thought he could get more money for the items. I checked into his feedback and it seems I'm not the only one he is doing this to.  Personally, I won't bid on any of his stuff again.  Just my 2 cents...

I saw the seller's reply to the neutral feedback comment on the Ptolus about an "error in the listing". If that's true, why didn't the seller re-list the item with the "corrected" info?

did you buy the Castle Zagyg and the seller cancelled that on you?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:54 pm 

Yes, I won the Castle Zagyg and Wilderlands of High Fantasy. They were both canceled.

The Global Shipping was given as the reason for the cancellations and the error in listing. It was selected during the initial setup and the seller thought this hurt his overseas bidding thus the auctions were canceled when this was discovered. Once canceled, the seller sent me a message saying why they were. I countered with the fact it wouldn't affect my purchases since I was in the US and the reply was that it kept his overseas customers from bidding thus the items should have brought more. He included with this that he wouldn't re-list right away but would wait for a holiday / long weekend in hopes they would bring more then too.

Again, my issue wasn't with the fact that a mistake was made but in how it was handled. In my opinion it was done so very poorly. I personally won't rebid if / when the items come up again. When buying / selling expensive collectibles a certain level of "Gentlemen's Agreement" is required for me to feel comfortable. I don't have that now so I'll do business elsewhere.

Carpe DM!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:01 pm 

The Wilderlands bundle should've sold well above $16 and should've been a nice purchase at that price... On that auction there were no invalid import charges as the amount of the sale was too low; the p&p is probably ~$10 high due to being sent via eBay's Global Shipping address, however. The seller's oblivious to both those figures as eBay doesn't tell them how much it charges bidders outside the US.

I'm not sure what he's expecting for the Upper Works as $318, while a bit lower than some other sales, is still ~$100 higher than I was looking for, for the same NKG stock (personally I wouldn't have called those NiP as they're standard ziplocs, but I suppose that's technically correct...).
If our own local marketplace is correct, you should be able to do better elsewhere.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm 

I agree. I thought the Wilderlands was a very good deal where the Upper Works was a little on the high side. I'm sorry I missed yours, faro.  :)

I have an Upper Works currently but the box is in poor condition and I wanted to replace it with a nicer one. Wilderlands has been on my list to buy if I ran across a good deal. They still appear fairly frequently on Ebay however so I'll pick up one some other time.

Carpe DM!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:12 pm 

I haven't been tracking the Castle Zagyg sets, but that seems like a good ending price for the seller. I guess we'll see if he's telling the truth about ever re-posting the auctions. They should have been cancelled when "the error" was found, not after the fact. That should be the bottom line.

I don't like that global shipping program at all. I think I wrote in a previous thread about ebay's poor handling/packaging even though they are charging a premium for it. At least with the packages I got from them, they used (not the seller) old envelopes and didn't bother to add extra cardboard or padding. I mean, they literally re-used old poor quality bubble mailers and used a black sharpie pen to cross out the old addresses :x

btw, you should have told that seller that the Emperor is not as forgiving as you are :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:24 pm 

misterspock wrote in Shady Dealers:I haven't been tracking the Castle Zagyg sets, but that seems like a good ending price for the seller. I guess we'll see if he's telling the truth about ever re-posting the auctions. They should have been cancelled when "the error" was found, not after the fact. That should be the bottom line.

I don't like that global shipping program at all. I think I wrote in a previous thread about ebay's poor handling/packaging even though they are charging a premium for it. At least with the packages I got from them, they used (not the seller) old envelopes and didn't bother to add extra cardboard or padding. I mean, they literally re-used old poor quality bubble mailers and used a black sharpie pen to cross out the old addresses :x

btw, you should have told that seller that the Emperor is not as forgiving as you are :lol:

$400 for an Upper Works in excellent shape. Took about 3 months. Domestic sale. International I'd say more.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:35 pm 

wow! Good thing I stocked up on a dozen or so sets many years ago!

jk

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:46 pm 

I had, too, but they were virtually all passed on as freebies, or at cost; a source of some amusement as the price had spiked towards $200 almost as soon as it went out of print, then drifted higher still.
Still can't believe that was meant to be an "adequate" print run... :?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 pm 

misterspock wrote in Shady Dealers:wow! Good thing I stocked up on a dozen or so sets many years ago!

jk

I bought 20 copies by the time they were liquidating them. Some distributors ended up dropping the price to under $20 each and from what I understand they still ended up shredding unsold copies because of the beef with Mrs. Gygax Mark II. I did tell people at the time to grab the set before it was destroyed.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 91 of 104123 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 102103104