Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 90 of 104123 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:22 pm 

More of a general question than anyone specific, but what feedback are you all leaving for eBay sellers that have terrible packaging practices? I just received an oce box that was shipped just in a padded priority envelope, and not too long ago I received another box set on the rare side sent in a box far to large for it and it was just rattling around in the box with a plastic bag. This plus several poorly packaged modules over the recent months have made me pretty tired of people just being lazy with shipping practices for rare and out of print materials.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:38 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in Shady Dealers:More of a general question than anyone specific, but what feedback are you all leaving for eBay sellers that have terrible packaging practices?

If you just give them negative feedback, the seller can have the whole feedback removed, or so I've heard.  The better tack is to give them positive feedback and hit their DSR's hard, particularly shipping if that's the problem.  Use the feedback description to give facts about the transaction experience without commentary.  Try to mention at least one positive so it appears balanced and fair.  That way, it won't get erased but will alert future buyers.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:14 pm 

nesbit37 wrote in Shady Dealers:More of a general question than anyone specific, but what feedback are you all leaving for eBay sellers that have terrible packaging practices? I just received an oce box that was shipped just in a padded priority envelope, and not too long ago I received another box set on the rare side sent in a box far to large for it and it was just rattling around in the box with a plastic bag. This plus several poorly packaged modules over the recent months have made me pretty tired of people just being lazy with shipping practices for rare and out of print materials.

eBay has been "protecting" seller's feedback now for a while. I'm not 100% certain about HOW it works, but basically packaging counts for nothing. I got some stuff packaged using garbage (Seriously. Garbage.) And nothing was done. If you slam their DSRs, eBay just removes the low scores, assuming the seller has a decent rating. If the item was damaged in shipping, eBay's new stance is "send it back". They don't care what a deal you got and that you actually WANTED the item. What do I do? I just don't leave feedback. They get nothing from me. Then I block them so I don't buy from them or they can't buy from me. And, truthfully, if you received it and it wasn't damaged, who cares how it was shipped? Better lucky than good. :)

Zenfinite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 pm 

Zenfinite wrote in Shady Dealers:
nesbit37 wrote in Shady Dealers:More of a general question than anyone specific, but what feedback are you all leaving for eBay sellers that have terrible packaging practices? I just received an oce box that was shipped just in a padded priority envelope, and not too long ago I received another box set on the rare side sent in a box far to large for it and it was just rattling around in the box with a plastic bag. This plus several poorly packaged modules over the recent months have made me pretty tired of people just being lazy with shipping practices for rare and out of print materials.

eBay has been "protecting" seller's feedback now for a while. I'm not 100% certain about HOW it works, but basically packaging counts for nothing. I got some stuff packaged using garbage (Seriously. Garbage.) And nothing was done. If you slam their DSRs, eBay just removes the low scores, assuming the seller has a decent rating. If the item was damaged in shipping, eBay's new stance is "send it back". They don't care what a deal you got and that you actually WANTED the item. What do I do? I just don't leave feedback. They get nothing from me. Then I block them so I don't buy from them or they can't buy from me. And, truthfully, if you received it and it wasn't damaged, who cares how it was shipped? Better lucky than good. :)

Zenfinite

Zen is right. Don't hammer anyone's DSRs anymore (what I used to recommend).  Basically, just leave a 3 which in some ways is pretty much as bad as a 1 but not as susceptible to being removed by Ebay.  Low ratings are now seen as "punitive" and can and will be removed.

Mike  B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 am 

It seems pretty pointless to even have a rating system if eBay is just going to mess with it so much. That's why I wanted to ask though  thanks.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am 

nesbit37 wrote in Shady Dealers:It seems pretty pointless to even have a rating system if eBay is just going to mess with it so much. That's why I wanted to ask though  thanks.

The point is, eBay wants to make money so they have a rating system so people can justify their confidence in a purchase, and then they subvert the rating system to maximize the appearance of excellence so people will believe they are buying from a reputable seller.  It's always about the money.  :roll:  And people like me who are sellers go along with the system because we want to make money.  It's a wink, wink, nod, nod system and the level of disgust has not risen to the extent of exposé, so the crap continues.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:so the crap continues.

Yes it certainly does. My frustrations with eBay are pretty much like the comments above - bad packaging. I have a tiny apartment mailbox, so if the postal carrier is feeling too lazy to leave it on my doorstep, then my priceless relic gets crumpled up. Often I will receive a 30-year-old item in immaculate condition, except for the nasty crease in the middle of the cardboard cover that it received only half an hour before I got to it. I tell sellers to put my item in un-bendable packaging, such as a sheet of cardboard in an envelope, but often they do not do so.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:20 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Shady Dealers:
benjoshua wrote in Shady Dealers:so the crap continues.

Yes it certainly does. My frustrations with eBay are pretty much like the comments above - bad packaging. I have a tiny apartment mailbox, so if the postal carrier is feeling too lazy to leave it on my doorstep, then my priceless relic gets crumpled up. Often I will receive a 30-year-old item in immaculate condition, except for the nasty crease in the middle of the cardboard cover that it received only half an hour before I got to it. I tell sellers to put my item in un-bendable packaging, such as a sheet of cardboard in an envelope, but often they do not do so.

Regardless of what "return policy" a seller specifies, tell them it was damaged in transit and you want to return it.  You will usually eat the shipping cost, but honestly, tired of screwing with a gamed feedback system.  If they balk, file SNAD.

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure the item arrives in your hands in the same condition it was sold in (not the post office).  If they dont insure or package poorly, its thier problem not yours.

Also, FWIW, I dont buy on the business .com websites for some of our more "established" sellers for this very reason.  Package for shit, then offer me store credit for 50% of the purchase price or something, no thanks.  I bought this on eBay, your taking it back.

Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, and I'm really tired of seeing nice items ruined because random asshat_01 threw it in a box and said THANKS FOR $!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm 

Possible scam involving a guy selling shrink wrapped TOEE modules via DF Classifieds

Dragonsfoot • View topic - Hello Guys/Ladies

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:54 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Seller herogolfer - auction listing for Polyhedron (with mailing covers)/Dragon/Duelist listed in Very Good to Fine condition with comment "I am an experienced seller with 100% feedback that takes pride in buyer's satisfaction."  Uh huh.  I will say that the packaging was stout and excellent and the shipping was quick.  That's the (only) good news.

On arrival:

Dragon - entirely missing cover (photograph of this issue showed it open to a middle page)
Dragon - extensive water damage and soaked-through ink blot damage, interior writing (photograph showed front cover where damage is not visible)
Polyhedron - Mailing Cover half cut off -- the back part gone; e.g., 1/2 a mailing cover (photograph showed only front cover)
Polyhedron - Mailing Cover had hole torn through (damage covered in photograph)
Polyhedron - Mailing Cover had extensive damage (damage covered in photograph)
Polyhedron - Mailing Cover had extensive damage (damage covered in photograph)
Duelist - Very Good condition (also, the only one I don't care about... of course)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm 

File that ebay/paypal claim. No reason to eat the cost on that..
weird thing, I checked in completed listings on the ebay link you posted and nothing shows up, even looking at worldwide auctions. When was this purchased?

edit: nevermind, for some reason that first link was sending me to some seller name "h1"
here's the link for herogolfer
** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 pm 

misterspock wrote in Shady Dealers:
here's the link for herogolfer

I like how he has a disclaimer "please review the pictures and make an informed decision before purchase"...  like all two of them :/

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 am 

Ask questions before bidding. Sellers aren't perfect and most of us aren't out to rip people off. I try to take good and plenty of pictures but I'd be lying if I said I always did. The missing covers and water/ink damage is a seller who is not describing items accurately.

My problem I run into is I may describe something as excellent, but the buyer says it's a VG when they get it. Very irritating. And impossible to know if it's a dishonest buyer (there are plenty) or a grading zealot. So I try to undergrade the majority of my 'paper' items

when in doubt ask the seller to post more pics and give you a better description.

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:13 am 

Just made on offer on an auction that I thought was reasonable, was about 20% below asking price.  The seller came back with a counter offer .01 below asking price.  I mean why even have an obo option if your just going to insult the customer!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm 

SH60B wrote in Shady Dealers:Just made on offer on an auction that I thought was reasonable, was about 20% below asking price.  The seller came back with a counter offer .01 below asking price.  I mean why even have an obo option if your just going to insult the customer!

:lol:

I've done the .01 counteroffer. But only when they offer me way way less than I'm asking. I'll have something listed for $10 and buyer offers $3. That automatically gets the 9.99 counter offer

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:15 pm 

webrik33 wrote in Shady Dealers:I've done the .01 counteroffer. But only when they offer me way way less than I'm asking.
I'll have something listed for $10 and buyer offers $3. That automatically gets the 9.99 counter offer

Yeah I could see myself doing that too.
Make a REASONABLE offer or get a ridiculous counter back.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:22 pm 

I've only experience unreasonable offers while trying to sell on kijiji, seems folks there who reply to my ads will put ridiculous offers on the table... I just ignore them.

Luckily offers through rpg forums have always led to fair deals and legitimate negotiation. Reinforces my thought that the collector community are generally gentlemen and ladies :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:04 pm 

What, you mean no one has been shady since February? Oh, come now!

A word of caution on dealing with EBay user shrkbitn_1

I had a good EBay sale with the user early in September. Positive feedback left and all. Over the weekend, I received a notice from PayPal the transaction was being reviewed. I went through the process, only to be informed the funds were being refunded by PayPal. I queried them on the situation, and they confirmed they screwed up removing the funds from my account. (good for them, as a seller that would suck royally to be ripped off by PayPal on an apparently clean transaction)

The punch line: I was able to get them to inform me that the review was due to the funds coming from a stolen credit card. This is itself a bit odd, as I did not see the customary icon for a CC transfer, but a normal PP one (maybe its changed since the last one I saw).

Anyhoo, weird situation.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 90 of 104123 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 102103104