Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 86 of 104123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 102103104
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am 

PDF Pirate King wrote:Since Keith was nice enough to post his telephone number: Keith, 214-254-1517

I am not this  Keith!!

I may be a thief, but I'm not this particular one!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:57 pm 

stratochamp wrote:was that a picture of donald sutherland next to bonewits?
Ian Anderson.

Happy new year everyone.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:06 am 

vosarnath wrote:Ian Anderson.

I'm trying to think of a response which doesn't invoke stereotypes about British people. Oh well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:21 pm 

vosarnath wrote:Ian Anderson.

Happy new year everyone.

AKA Mick Fleetwood??

The owls are not what they seem...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 am 

I fell for the oldest Ebay scam going, and I am an idiot.

I bid on and won a rare warhammer background book from a seller in Canada on Ebay.  I also bid on a few of his other books, and was outbid.  I paid right away, and the next day I received an email from the seller saying the other buyer backed out, and would I still like the other books at my top bid.  I said sure, and asked for a second chance offer.  He emails later in the day and said he can't send a second chance offer, but he will send an invoice from Paypal.  His feedback was 100%, and I fell for it.  He also sent me an email with a bunch of other books that I was looking for as well.   I ended up buying almost $600.00 worth of books from him.  

Sure enough, the one book bought on Ebay arrived in perfect shape.  The only other thing that arrived was an envelope with 3 Heavy Metal magazines.   Numerous attempts to contact via phone & email have been unsuccessful.

I filed the cliams with Paypal, I can't do much with Ebay since he did send that book.  I am just hoping that Paypal will side with me.  He was pretty smart for sending the magazines because now he has proof of delivery, so it is my word against his.  

The ebay seller is captainmidnight70.  Avoid, although I doubt he will list any more items.

Is there anything else I should do at this point, this is a first for me!!  :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am 

That sucks, to say the least.

He also operated under the ebay id "someguyhere" for a month before switching to his current incarnation.  Is it not possible to see feedback for his transactions under that id, if he had any?  I don't see anything under his current id from before the date when he changed his name to captainmidnight70.  

Any address listed for him on the Paypal receipt?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am 

Yes, I have an address from the Paypal receipt.  I also have a phone number which I have called a bunch of times.  I don't know if I can contact local authorities or if it would do any good??

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm 

NMilty wrote:I fell for the oldest Ebay scam going, and I am an idiot.

I bid on and won a rare warhammer background book from a seller in Canada on Ebay.  I also bid on a few of his other books, and was outbid.  I paid right away, and the next day I received an email from the seller saying the other buyer backed out, and would I still like the other books at my top bid.  I said sure, and asked for a second chance offer.  He emails later in the day and said he can't send a second chance offer, but he will send an invoice from Paypal.  His feedback was 100%, and I fell for it.  He also sent me an email with a bunch of other books that I was looking for as well.   I ended up buying almost $600.00 worth of books from him.  

Sure enough, the one book bought on Ebay arrived in perfect shape.  The only other thing that arrived was an envelope with 3 Heavy Metal magazines.   Numerous attempts to contact via phone & email have been unsuccessful.

I filed the cliams with Paypal, I can't do much with Ebay since he did send that book.  I am just hoping that Paypal will side with me.  He was pretty smart for sending the magazines because now he has proof of delivery, so it is my word against his.  

The ebay seller is captainmidnight70.  Avoid, although I doubt he will list any more items.

Is there anything else I should do at this point, this is a first for me!!  :cry:

Man, that sucks!

First of all, could you post a link to the sale or this nimbnuts auctions?

If you paid by credit card, there is one backstop for you. You can always protest the sale through your credit card company if Paypal doesn't find in your favor.

Paypal generally sides with the buyer in most of these NSAD cases, but nothing is absolute. If you can, try to talk to a human being if they dont' settle to your satisfaction. They have standard avenues they go by if the case is handled through email only, if  you talk to a person you can better describe what the seller did.

The "I can't send a second chance offer" should have set off sirens, but this sort of thing happens to everyone.

The problem with off-ebay sales is that Ebay doesn't give a shit what happens to you because you specifically went against their many warnings they post about not having offline relations with sellers (although, more often then not, you are probably ok doing so, this just sounds like a bad case).

I would protest the one item he did send through Ebay as NSAD, (not significantly as described), even if it was, because frankly he's screwed you on the other and that is the only legal avenue you have for cooking his bacon and getting some of your money back.  You can at least get the money back for that item and leave him some pretty sorry feedback, including negatives (be entirely factual and leave emotion out of it, don't post his contact info, personally insult him, etc).  Remember to hammer his DSRs also, those are actually more important to the seller nowadays.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm 

File a claim with your credit card company and ask for the transaction to be reversed on account of fraud. Your credit card company will side with you over any third party. They just need your signature to that effect in order to act. Also, should he refuse to respond to phone calls and not respond to contact initiated through the PayPal console, you can claim with PayPal that that is evidence of fraudulent activity, and you can file a claim with eBay that he is operating an account using false information and has perpetrated a fraud. You can also ask your local police to recover this guy's address from PayPal (as they will not divulge it to you) and once you have it, you can initiate a legal case in his juristiction (or get someone with some friends who play baseball to go ask for your books).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 pm 

Good Advice Mike!!

I actually called Paypal right away, I figured talking to a person was better than filing online.  Plus, I do a ton of business with them, so maybe that will help me.  I have been using Paypal since 2001, and this is the first claim I have filed, so hopefully that will help me as well.

I did check and some of the money was from my Paypal balance, but some came from my bank, so I may be able to contact them if Paypal goes the other way.

As far as the feedback goes, I left him positive feedback on Ebay since he delivered the one book in great time.  I should have waited until the other package arrived with the worthless magazines!! :x

Here is the seller's link:

eBay listings

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:43 pm 

No items for sale now, so looks like he's on the run..??

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm 

NMilty wrote:As far as the feedback goes, I left him positive feedback on Ebay since he delivered the one book in great time.  I should have waited until the other package arrived with the worthless magazines!! :x

I was wondering about that too, but thought maybe you had bought something from him previously.

I agree that the credit card is the best way to go in the end. I think there's a certain number of days you'll have, so check into that so you don't miss the window in case Paypal fails.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 pm 

By the way, anyone familiar with the ebay user "alohamonte"?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 pm 

You will never hear me complain again about Paypal fees or customer service!! :lol:

I contacted them this morning, and after explaining the situation again, they credited back to my account all of the money.

I feel like there is justice in the world!!
:D

Now, I just need Ebay to ban him and all will be good.  Thanks to all for the great advice and support!!

By the way, this clown's name is Patrick Barley, and he lives in Winnpeg, Canada.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:53 pm 

Great news!  Nice to hear a happy ending in this thread for a change. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 pm 

Great news. Sounds like PayPal works a lot better in the US than here in the UK. Claims here can take a month or more. Glad it worked out for you.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 am 

Received this e-mail today:

Hello and hope your having a great day!

I've been talking with several acaeum members about a Seller Another Eastern Chest aka David Randall at Wargames-East Ebay User ID.

Selling TONS of Copied Wyrm Works items - FAKE Magic Viewers - Sage Lore Items and you NAME IT! I've spoke with Phil (prvteye) Shawn (burntwire) and have gave them the scoop on this Crooked Seller!

I'm trying to get on to introduce myself to everyone and Post the WHOLE Story about wargames-east. And they are not rumors - nothing BUT Facts! This seller MUST be Stopped in his tracks - he has ripped at least 50 people off one poor sap for like $140.00 on nothing more than Well Made Copies.

This is not my Opinion its the Stone-Cold Truth and I can prove it! Wait until you here the story.

I CAN NOT believe you guys have not caught to this Scam Artist already -- I'm really pretty shocked that the big acaeum collectors have not even noticed it yet!

Every time I try and register is says my email can not be used? Which makes no since because its my Ebay Email address and everything?

I will tell you this -- if you would PLEASE help me figure out how to get registered there are going to be some really upset acauem buyers - if they were foolish enough to purchase one or any of those from him! Especially when I tell his little scam for all the D&D Community to see - and anyone with a Brain will quickly see that what I have to say is as real as rain.

So hoping to hear back from you soon,

Joe aka Joeknows93

Red flags were immediately raised, as the style of writing appears identical to James Corvin / Eastern Treasure Chest / (thousands of other incarnations), all well documented here in other threads.  I checked his IP and it's from Wytheville, VA, which is the epicenter of where all these characters have operated from.

THEREFORE, please avoid seller "joeknows93" on eBay.  He has several semi-rare items up on eBay right now.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:01 am 

Thanks Foul, that guy bought some old books from me and immediately relisted them without mentioning the writing, underlining, etc. in them and his listings were much higher prices.  I also was sent the same kind of info about "shady" dealers and rip-off artists whom I should never trust.  I didn't have any negative dealings, but I didn't care for his rants about other people.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 86 of 104123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 102103104