Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 86 of 104123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 102103104
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 am 

why the hell would anyone post their phone number on an ebay auction? Maybe an actual brick and mortar company, but a person...that's just weird in and of itself.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:09 am 

Mars wrote:I'm going to add:  dungeoncollector
Also known as: DiscSlinger on various forums

I think it is a clear case that he is shilling his auctions - new account, bid only one his auctions, bids on Group One modules, a pipe, and the voice recorder.  It amazes me how stupid some sellers can be.

Cheeky bugger even came here to get his items valued eh, just noticed the appraisal thread!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 am 

reported.

I liked the boot hill boxed set at 99 cents

** expired/removed eBay auction **

but somehow it went from $0.99 to $20 rather fast due to 3 bids 4 days before auction end from the "new" user 2***1? In my exp item like that  usually doesn't get that much action until it's much closer to end of auction rather than 4 days out.

I suspect he took his chances incrementing his bid 3 times and didn't break $20 barrier on his third bid on purpose.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 am 

Mars wrote:bids on Group One modules, a pipe, and the voice recorder.

Are you sure its not this guy that's bidding on them?

http://rpgpundit.xanga.com/

Plays RPG's, smokes a pipe, and loves the sound of his own voice.  Pretty clear cut to me.  :wink:  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Plays RPG's, smokes a pipe, and loves the sound of his own voice.  Pretty clear cut to me.  :wink:  :lol:

Either him or  P. E. I. Bonewits - we must have his pic from the back cover of  Authentic Thaumaturgy around here  :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Are you sure its not this guy that's bidding on them?

http://rpgpundit.xanga.com/

Plays RPG's, smokes a pipe, and loves the sound of his own voice.  Pretty clear cut to me.  :wink:  :lol:
Mars wrote:
Either him or  P. E. I. Bonewits - we must have his pic from the back cover of  Authentic Thaumaturgy around here  :)

Here is a scan of the book showing Bonewits.
The picture on the right is posted on the web site linked above by KoP
http://rpgpundit.xanga.com/photos/df1ce251616531/
The Specific page on the site where I saw the picture below...

ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:In the past month I have noticed the following types of sellers:

1. Sellers who disappear after selling an item.  The item has sold for a lot cheaper than what they expected, and I quickly make a PayPal payment.  The common denominator is that my PayPal is not accepted; maybe this indicates some scam being run using eBay and PayPal.
  2. Sellers who try to charge more after the sale for shipping.
  3. Sellers who pack poorly.
  4. Sellers who sell items that are all screwed up, such as trashed DVDs, trashed musical equipment, trashed whatever.
You Will Know Me by the Trail of The Negative Feedback Left for Others.

My biggest concern is proper packing... I have taken to, before paying, inquiring as to the packing methods used... I am cut and pasting a recent exchange... lol.... After a further exchange he relented and the item arrived decently packed.... but I kinda get a kick out of this:

Hello Tom,

Thanks for buying this module. The free shipping is a misprint, but if you insist, I'll include it. As far as cardboard goes, I don't use that, since it costs extra, and I don't keep anything extra lying around. I have an extremely small space, and no room for anything extraneous, sorry. Not to mention the fact that most customers don't want to pay for any shipping extras, but if you want rigid cardboard to protect your item, I can do that but it will end up costing extra. I could NOT afford to include extra cardboard, and still make any money at all on this item, considering the low ending auction total. (I'm already losing money as it is).

Normally, I ship items via media mail using two manilla envelopes, with lots of tape on them. I can cannibalize a cereal box (which, coincidentally has a contest entry form on it! whoo hooo!), to protect the module, but other than that, I'd have to request an additional payment. (We could call it even, if you want to just let me keep the shipping costs you've already remitted). Please let me know what you'd like to do. If you'd prefer, I can cancel the transaction, if you think you'd be dissatisfied with the shipping method. We can also upgrade this to priority mail for like an extra $4, and it'd be guaranteed secure. So, get back to me, so I'll know how you'd like to proceed. Thank you.

- comicmagic Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: comicmagic
Subject: Shipping: discodadda sent a message about GAMMA WORLD 2ND ED. LEGION OF GOLD TSR ROLE PLAYING GAME #170750346187
Sent Date: Dec-21-11 10:31:08 PST

Dear comicmagic,

Hi, before I pay I have 2 questions... first in the ad it indicates free shipping??
Second about the packing... I wanted to make certain that it would be packed with strong (not wimpy) cardboard in order to protect against bending and the corners?

Please LMK.

Thanks

Tom

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:50 pm 

At least the seller had the decency to follow up and work with you on the matter.  Most sellers wouldnt bother and would just ship it the way they want, pocket your extra shipping expense, and when it arrived damaged state that it wasnt their fault.  Seems like he was pretty nice about it too.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 pm 

was that a picture of donald sutherland next to bonewits?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am 

FormCritic wrote:
That's the third pattern:  The Wrong Item

I have been a Troll and Toad apologist in the past.  

Emphasis on past.

The Troll's been good for Axis & Allies Miniatures.
The prices have been reasonable, and we've had no problems with shipping or packaging.

But ... that's a whole different ballgame than buying a 2nd edition Chainmail from them.  

(In fact, to paraphrase Pulp Fiction it ain't even the same sport.)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Last edited by Keith the Thief on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:17 am 

PDF Pirate King wrote:Since Keith was nice enough to post his telephone number: Keith, 214-254-1517

I am not this  Keith!!

I may be a thief, but I'm not this particular one!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:57 pm 

stratochamp wrote:was that a picture of donald sutherland next to bonewits?
Ian Anderson.

Happy new year everyone.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:06 am 

vosarnath wrote:Ian Anderson.

I'm trying to think of a response which doesn't invoke stereotypes about British people. Oh well.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:21 pm 

vosarnath wrote:Ian Anderson.

Happy new year everyone.

AKA Mick Fleetwood??

The owls are not what they seem...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 am 

I fell for the oldest Ebay scam going, and I am an idiot.

I bid on and won a rare warhammer background book from a seller in Canada on Ebay.  I also bid on a few of his other books, and was outbid.  I paid right away, and the next day I received an email from the seller saying the other buyer backed out, and would I still like the other books at my top bid.  I said sure, and asked for a second chance offer.  He emails later in the day and said he can't send a second chance offer, but he will send an invoice from Paypal.  His feedback was 100%, and I fell for it.  He also sent me an email with a bunch of other books that I was looking for as well.   I ended up buying almost $600.00 worth of books from him.  

Sure enough, the one book bought on Ebay arrived in perfect shape.  The only other thing that arrived was an envelope with 3 Heavy Metal magazines.   Numerous attempts to contact via phone & email have been unsuccessful.

I filed the cliams with Paypal, I can't do much with Ebay since he did send that book.  I am just hoping that Paypal will side with me.  He was pretty smart for sending the magazines because now he has proof of delivery, so it is my word against his.  

The ebay seller is captainmidnight70.  Avoid, although I doubt he will list any more items.

Is there anything else I should do at this point, this is a first for me!!  :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am 

That sucks, to say the least.

He also operated under the ebay id "someguyhere" for a month before switching to his current incarnation.  Is it not possible to see feedback for his transactions under that id, if he had any?  I don't see anything under his current id from before the date when he changed his name to captainmidnight70.  

Any address listed for him on the Paypal receipt?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am 

Yes, I have an address from the Paypal receipt.  I also have a phone number which I have called a bunch of times.  I don't know if I can contact local authorities or if it would do any good??

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm 

NMilty wrote:I fell for the oldest Ebay scam going, and I am an idiot.

I bid on and won a rare warhammer background book from a seller in Canada on Ebay.  I also bid on a few of his other books, and was outbid.  I paid right away, and the next day I received an email from the seller saying the other buyer backed out, and would I still like the other books at my top bid.  I said sure, and asked for a second chance offer.  He emails later in the day and said he can't send a second chance offer, but he will send an invoice from Paypal.  His feedback was 100%, and I fell for it.  He also sent me an email with a bunch of other books that I was looking for as well.   I ended up buying almost $600.00 worth of books from him.  

Sure enough, the one book bought on Ebay arrived in perfect shape.  The only other thing that arrived was an envelope with 3 Heavy Metal magazines.   Numerous attempts to contact via phone & email have been unsuccessful.

I filed the cliams with Paypal, I can't do much with Ebay since he did send that book.  I am just hoping that Paypal will side with me.  He was pretty smart for sending the magazines because now he has proof of delivery, so it is my word against his.  

The ebay seller is captainmidnight70.  Avoid, although I doubt he will list any more items.

Is there anything else I should do at this point, this is a first for me!!  :cry:

Man, that sucks!

First of all, could you post a link to the sale or this nimbnuts auctions?

If you paid by credit card, there is one backstop for you. You can always protest the sale through your credit card company if Paypal doesn't find in your favor.

Paypal generally sides with the buyer in most of these NSAD cases, but nothing is absolute. If you can, try to talk to a human being if they dont' settle to your satisfaction. They have standard avenues they go by if the case is handled through email only, if  you talk to a person you can better describe what the seller did.

The "I can't send a second chance offer" should have set off sirens, but this sort of thing happens to everyone.

The problem with off-ebay sales is that Ebay doesn't give a shit what happens to you because you specifically went against their many warnings they post about not having offline relations with sellers (although, more often then not, you are probably ok doing so, this just sounds like a bad case).

I would protest the one item he did send through Ebay as NSAD, (not significantly as described), even if it was, because frankly he's screwed you on the other and that is the only legal avenue you have for cooking his bacon and getting some of your money back.  You can at least get the money back for that item and leave him some pretty sorry feedback, including negatives (be entirely factual and leave emotion out of it, don't post his contact info, personally insult him, etc).  Remember to hammer his DSRs also, those are actually more important to the seller nowadays.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 86 of 104123 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 102103104