Shady Dealers
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:22 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote: my God, they made more from me on shipping than they did on the item itself.

That's pretty much the standard on Ebay right now.

It has gotten so bad that I shop shipping prices first before actual price.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 pm 

That's pretty much the standard on Ebay right now.

It has gotten so bad that I shop shipping prices first before actual price.

That's true.  Many ebay sellers operate a shipping industry.  They don't care what they are selling as long as they can profit from the shipping charges.  

Of course you can argue that ebay/paypal fees and shipping materials fees dictate the need for shipping profits.  It's not hard to accrue $3-$4 in listing, final value and paypal fees and packaging costs.  A seller has to account for that somehow.

I have no real answers.  I just stumble along blindly and hope for the best. :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 pm 

I can deal with $2-$3 tacked onto the shipping fees.  I understand that there are extra costs beyond paying the post office to move the item around.  On the other hand, it doesn't cost $20 to ship one of the B-series modules.

I've personally gotten a little pissy lately, and if I get something shipped that has one of the online labels with postage hidden, then I've been rating low on the shipping costs come feedback time.  The fact that that's even an option (let alone the default one) is practically condoning the practice. :roll:

(The exception being if it shows up in a flat rate box/envelope -- I know the costs of those by heart practically, and can rate on costs charged vs. actual cost accurately.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 pm 

Dont't you absolutely hate it when you shill your own auction and end up winning it?

Current auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Recently completed auction(a week ago exactly):

Seller is from Kentucky and surprisingly the buyer is too:

eBay listings

Freaking moron even had the audacity to leave feedback for the auction saying the buyer "paid":

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

All that, but the seller is so lazy he relisted the auction that listed previously which still includes the updates from the first auction.  :roll: Busted....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:36 am 

bclarkie wrote:Seller is from Kentucky and surprisingly the buyer is too:

What is it with Kentucky?

The duct tape bandit:

http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=30767

8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:50 am 

Not related to D&D but I hate seeing this sort of crap on eBay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Aibo-ERS-210A- ... dZViewItem

take a look at the bidding:

Security Measure

I see these sort of auctions all the time.  Unless an eBay member notifies eBay they just don't seenm to notice.

How hard can it be to build some logic which finds these auctions?

They can start by looking for auctions which request contact at a yahoo or hotmail account.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:58 am 

improvstone wrote:Not related to D&D but I hate seeing this sort of crap on eBay.....

take a look at the bidding:

Security Measure

I see these sort of auctions all the time.  Unless an eBay member notifies eBay they just don't seenm to notice.

How hard can it be to build some logic which finds these auctions?

They can start by looking for auctions which request contact at a yahoo or hotmail account.

What's the problem with the auction?  Shilling?  I only see anonymous bidders.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:What's the problem with the auction?  Shilling?  I only see anonymous bidders.

1. AIBO auction are notorious for scammers ....

2. They ask for contact via an external email accounts rather than ebay

3. They use stock photos.... genuine auctions will use photos with the seller name and date

4. The huge amount of shilling by new ebay members at even increments

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:26 pm 

A robot dog? Doesn't that kind of go along the lines of a pet rock?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:27 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:A robot dog? Doesn't that kind of go along the lines of a pet rock?

Uh-oh, them's fighting words.  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:39 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:A robot dog? Doesn't that kind of go along the lines of a pet rock?

What better to go with the new 4e online gaming experience? Now you can surround yourself with artificial love.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:08 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Uh-oh, them's fighting words.  :lol:

Careful Deady... you just picked on BC's love of pet rocks.   :roll:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
What better to go with the new 4e online gaming experience? Now you can surround yourself with artificial love.

Sorry there is no love in the 4e environment.  Its all about the most destruction you can inflict in the shortest amount of time.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:11 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Careful Deady... you just picked on BC's love of pet rocks.   :roll:

Oh, I wasn't refering to me.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 pm 

I was just going through some old emails when I came across the follwing with relation to Tonya / Titan and their excessive shipping charges.

I won 3 items from Tonya for which I paid $12 shipping.  When the items arrived I noticed that the actual cost was $4.70.

Here is an extract from the email I sent to Tonya:

improv wrote:However, I am bit concerned that you quoted $12 for shipping which you actually paid $4.70.  Can you please explain the discrepancy?

Thanks

Michael

Here is her reply:

tonyaripoffgirl wrote:There is no discrepancy.  I charge more for SHIPPING AND HANDLING than postage costs.  I pay my packer $1 per item to prepare them.  That is $3.00.  I pay my lister 50-cents each to list every item, and that is another $1.50.  International packages have to be taken to the post office, they will not pick them up.  I do not own a car, have to take the bus, and that is a 2.5 hour round trip - so I pay ME some per parcel, too.

Thanks.  Hopefully this will conclude this transaction to your complete satisfaction.  

Tonya King
30 East Columbia Suite F-1, #122
Battle Creek, MI  49015

NOTE: I leave feedback once a week, and only in response to feedback.  If you are satisfied, and leave positive feedback, so will I.

I don't think I need to say anymore.  Needless to say this was in 2004 and I NEVER dealt with her again.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 pm 

Wow, The USPS picks up my international pre-paid packages quite often...when I call for pick up on my pre-paid Priority Mail packages, there is never an issue - they just make sure they pick up the duplicate customs form, also.

Interesting explanation. Or maybe I just have a very good, friendly postal carrier.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Wow, The USPS picks up my international pre-paid packages quite often...when I call for pick up on my pre-paid Priority Mail packages, there is never an issue - they just make sure they pick up the duplicate customs form, also.

Interesting explanation. Or maybe I just have a very good, friendly postal carrier.

No the postal service is not at fault here.  Just me for getting screwed.

I am surprised I wasn't charged for leaving feedback.  8O

and I pay my feedback person 50-cents for each feedback.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:13 am 

I'm going to go out on a limb and wager a guess that her packer and lister have the initials TK. ;)

PreviousNext