Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 77 of 104123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 102103104
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 am 

The seller I posted about is just clueless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0726036127

The seller's response to me suggesting alternative methods of shipping:

"I would expect most buyers out there looking for a collectors guide in mint condition would want it shipped this way to them."

Because what collector in Canada wouldn't want to pay $20 + $35 shipping for this treasure.  That's only $20 + $65 shipping if you are in the US :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 am 

Mars wrote:The seller I posted about is just clueless.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The seller's response to me suggesting alternative methods of shipping:

"I would expect most buyers out there looking for a collectors guide in mint condition would want it shipped this way to them."

Because what collector in Canada wouldn't want to pay $20 + $35 shipping for this treasure.  That's only $20 + $65 shipping if you are in the US :)

I asked for a shipping quote to the United States and requested the cheapest possible method.  Let's see what happens.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:

As this is a Deities and Demigods book, I asked the seller how many pages it has, and also asked about Local pickup as the store is less than 15 miles from my house.
Apparently the seller has listed two of them... (Did not notice the other one at that time).

Here is the response.

The listing is an OPEN AUCTION with a starting price of .99 cents, not a $1 BIN...
The listing shows a shipping charge at $14 for Economy Shipping (Media Mail) for ONE book to send it 15 miles...  :lol:

I have already reported the seller to E-Bay.

Hereis a common example of padding shipping for fee avoidance. He has been reported at least twice, and my bet is that ebay does nothing, except to come out with a policy to charge all sellers fees on their shipping cost.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm 

My bet is they both get pulled.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 am 

benjoshua wrote:
I asked for a shipping quote to the United States and requested the cheapest possible method.  Let's see what happens.

He changed the shipping to $20.00 to the US.  Too little, too late.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:25 pm 

benjoshua wrote:He changed the shipping to $20.00 to the US.  Too little, too late.

At $20, he is still charging at least a $12 handling fee.  $8 gets you a bit more than 1 pound by small packet to the US; $12 gets you a bit more than 2 pounds.

I noticed that he added a cheaper price within Canada too - but again the handling fee is still $8-$10.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 pm 

The guy just doesn't understand that he isn't allowed to profit from shipping.  

I've reported him a second time...since the first time he was obviously given a chance by Ebay to change his listing.

Now we'll see what happens....

Of course, the real lesson for him will be when his listings don't sell.  He'll stop thinking that everyone else is stupid.  Or, will he?  These guys usually believe they're smarter than everyone else.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:52 pm 

FormCritic wrote:These guys usually believe they're smarter than everyone else.

I'm guessing he won't learn.  In the couple of messages I exchanged with him (where I wondered why he would choose the most expensive method to ship something) he was very adamant that every collector would want to use this method.  His starting prices show he has no clue.  When I asked about the Complete book of Necromancers, he upped the starting price from $10-$20 and dropped the shipping from $45 to $35 :)  He also said that at $20 for the book, he is still taking a loss since the cover price is $23 :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:12 pm 

Mars wrote:
At $20, he is still charging at least a $12 handling fee.  $8 gets you a bit more than 1 pound by small packet to the US; $12 gets you a bit more than 2 pounds.

I noticed that he added a cheaper price within Canada too - but again the handling fee is still $8-$10.

Maybe he is just getting prepared for when ebay starts taking a percentage of your mailing fees.  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:42 pm 

Mars wrote:He also said that at $20 for the book, he is still taking a loss since the cover price is $23 :)

Oh god.  He is an idiot.   :salut:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 am 

I had thought I was lucky to win the listing below for a NM copy of Ptolus complete with all the stuff supposed to be there.

Here is the listing.

Sellers description inside the listing for the items.

The items included are in like-new condition and include the hard-cover "Ptolus: City By the Spire", paperback "The Night of Dissolution" and entire supplement pack with all GM and player handouts, and CD.  I purchased it to run the campaign and several of our players moved and we never reformed the group.  I took it out of the shrink-wrap and looked through it - that is all of the handling it has had.

Before I sent payment for the item, I asked for upgraded shipping for extra protection.
Stating that I would be happy to pay extra for a Flat Rate Priority Box with extra protection inside and for tracking too...

I would be happy to pay for upgraded shipping if you are willing to do so. Pirority Flat Rate Box at under $11 plus tracking for another 70 cents I think. If not then please pack the Media box with plenty of protection.

Seller did not even respond, so I paid the invoice as sent, and the seller sent the items by media mail in a box with 5 small plastic bags simply dropped into the box as the ONLY padding/protection inside.

I took pics of the box and contents as soon as I got them and then opened them up.

This next picture should tell you plenty.
For those who may not know; Ptolus is VERY heavy and thick.
Seller placed the book and other items inside that box With NOTHING except 5 plastic shopping baggies to pad the items inside!
You can see empty spaces all around the book on every side and the top as well.
At least 1-1/2" on each end, 1/2" or more on the sides, plus 2" space top to bottom.
The books and other items bounced around like rubber balls during shipping!
I was very surprised that the DVD even inside the original manilla envelope was not shattered to be honest!

Here are some pictures of the contents.

After taking about 20 pictures; I repacked the items back into the SAME Box, though I used FAR more padding plus nearly an entire roll of packing tape to repair the damaged box.
When I mailed the box I (of course) purchased Delivery Confirmation as well.
Seller got it this past weekend and sent me a note this morning.

Dear aneoth,
The book is not the book that I sent. I do not refund money for items that I did not sell.
- kestrle
8O  :roll:

I immediately filed a disupte with E-Bay.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 am 

What an ass, sending a $160+  item without packing material.  Typical for a guy only concerned with collecting money.

Are you going to leave him a negative?

Also if there was no delivery confirmation then perhaps it would have been easier to claim non-delivery than send the item back and be at Paypal's whim!

Just a thought :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:47 am 

Blackmoor wrote:What an ass, sending a $160+  item without packing material.  Typical for a guy only concerned with collecting money.

Are you going to leave him a negative?

Also if there was no delivery confirmation then perhaps it would have been easier to claim non-delivery than send the item back and be at Paypal's whim!

Just a thought :)

Seller is a woman/female.
I just wanted the funds back, and only purchased this item as a collectable due to its being hard to find already.
It is not in collectable grade and to be honest, I think she lied in the listing to start with.
If you go to the E-Bay listing, then (using the enlarge feature) look closely at the first picture, it looks like there was some damage at the spine even then.
If so, then the seller was lying from the get go.
I think that her own picture might also help my case against her claim I sent her a different book back. :roll:

At this point though, it seems like your idea might have gotten me SOMETHING at least.
Blackmoor wrote: Are you going to leave him a negative?

No doubt about it.
Question is, should I do that NOW? Or wait to get my funds back first?
Will that have ANY affect on whether Paypal goes after the funds, or can the seller refuse due to the feedback?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am 

Gnat and I have discussed this.

It is imperative for a collector to CHECK OUT THE FEEDBACK of a seller before plopping down your bucks.

In this case, the seller had ONE transaction in a calendar year...which indicates to me a non-professional seller, one that doesn't ship many items and is not aware that condition is important or that they have any clue about how to package an item.

I've seen other similarly bad transactions by people here, and to no suprise, when I check out the listing I find the seller has bad feedback (anything less that 98% positive and DSRs under 4.7 is BAD).  

Look at it not as perhaps getting a deal, but preventing you from getting an ass reaming....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 am 

Badmike wrote:Gnat and I have discussed this.

It is imperative for a collector to CHECK OUT THE FEEDBACK of a seller before plopping down your bucks.

In this case, the seller had ONE transaction in a calendar year...which indicates to me a non-professional seller, one that doesn't ship many items and is not aware that condition is important or that they have any clue about how to package an item.

I've seen other similarly bad transactions by people here, and to no suprise, when I check out the listing I find the seller has bad feedback (anything less that 98% positive and DSRs under 4.7 is BAD).  

Look at it not as perhaps getting a deal, but preventing you from getting an ass reaming....

Mike B.

Something similar happened to me lately.  I won this auction:

Paid for the item the same day.  Stated delivery time was 5-14 days.  Even when someone sends an item to me in the cheapest way possible, it doesnt normally take two weeks for me to get it.  Heck, I usually get stuff from Europe quicker than that.  Two weeks went by and then another.  I sent the seller a message asking if they could make sure that they didnt forget to send the item.  After another day I still hadnt received a reply.  So I sent another message to let them know I would be opening a case with Ebay.  Still nothing after 24 hours.  So I went ahead and opened the case.  Within a couple of hours, the seller responded and said they never received my previous messages.  Then they told me that my package was returned to the post office due to insufficient postage.  Something didnt seem right about the whole thing and I really didnt want to wait any longer so I just asked for a refund, which they gave me straight away.

The seller had 100% positive feedback but had only sold a handful of items since 2002.  Didnt really strike me as a bad thing since I have bought from people in the past with similar long breaks between selling periods and never had a problem.  :scratch:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 am 

Yes, we have talked about this sort of thing, and please never think I have not listened to your advice either.
I always do so and I greatly value your advice (along others here too).

This seller seemed to be safer than some and had a 100% feedback rating.
Yes, I saw that there had been few transactions over a long period of time.
Did not think that was a deal killer for bidding on a rare item though.
AND I Asked before paying for upgraded shipping with additional protection.
But I could not (and would not) have backed out at that point though, since I had already won the auction.
IMO I HAD to pay up and hope for the best.
I have been on E-Bay since 2002, and this is not the first time I have received damaged stuff.
This is however, the first time the seller has accused me of attempted fraud (returning a different item back....) 8O

However; the worst screwing I ever got via a RPG Type purchase was from a (former?) member of this web site and was made through this web site.
It was early on in my own membership here.... YEARS ago.
Just goes to show you that you aint safe from asshats anywhere. 8)

Just for clarification I am NOT trying to accuse or blaim this site or those who run it for that old azzed transaction that went bad.
That was ALL on me and the asshat who screwed me.  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Question is, should I do that NOW? Or wait to get my funds back first?
Will that have ANY affect on whether Paypal goes after the funds, or can the seller refuse due to the feedback?

There is little to be gained by posting your negative feedback now, and by delaying the negative feedback, you might get things settled better or quicker although I doubt it.  However, if you post feedback now, you are guaranteed the toughest possible fight.

Also, I agree with Blackmoor:

Blackmoor wrote:Also if there was no delivery confirmation then perhaps it would have been easier to claim non-delivery than send the item back and be at Paypal's whim!

If they failed to use Delivery Confirmation, I'd have claimed non-reciept with ebay, and then once I had my money back, mail them the items using another return mailing address.  If she claimed it was from you, ask her to prove it or ignore it.  Remember, the items don't look like the ones she sent :twisted:, and you won't even use Delivery Confirmation!  It's technically unethical, but it does satisfy the spirit of what ebay expects in transactions in my opinion.  8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm 

After having been burned numerous times by poor sellers/shippers using little or no packing materials, I almost always send a message to the seller if the item is collectible, rare, or worth more than $20. I typically request for the item to be shipped in a larger box with plenty of packing peanuts and/or bubble wrap to keep the item from getting damaged while in transit.  I also offer to pay any additional costs, and most sellers are happy to oblige without raising the shipping fees.  It takes a few extra minutes per auction but has saved me numerous times when the package arrives damaged but the books are safe.

Good luck on the Ptolus.  Seeing a picture like that makes me sad. Sure it is good for a play copy now, but as far as a collectible, not really. :(

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 77 of 104123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 102103104