Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 104123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Talk now.  Fight later.

Definitely.  I had something similar happen to me about a month ago.  Asked the seller for an invoice for the two items I won in separate auctions.  He sent me an invoice with double what the expected shipping should have been.  I emailed him and politely asked why the shipping was so high.  His response was basically befuddlement.  He said he put a lower price in the revised invoice but for whatever reason it didnt show up on my end when I went to pay.  He apologized and simply refunded me the difference once I had paid.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Definitely.  I had something similar happen to me about a month ago.  Asked the seller for an invoice for the two items I won in separate auctions.  He sent me an invoice with double what the expected shipping should have been.  I emailed him and politely asked why the shipping was so high.  His response was basically befuddlement.  He said he put a lower price in the revised invoice but for whatever reason it didnt show up on my end when I went to pay.  He apologized and simply refunded me the difference once I had paid.

I suppose I should have also said that I did (politely) point out that the amount paid for shipping was doubled in the "note to seller" field.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:40 am 

stylean wrote:
I suppose I should have also said that I did (politely) point out that the amount paid for shipping was doubled in the "note to seller" field.

OK, now I am a bit unclear as to exactly how you got to this point.  It sounds as if you paid the seller at the same time you sent the note stating that you thought the shipping was too high.  Why didnt you send a follow up response to the shipping quote on the invoice before paying?  That way you would have known if there was intent to screw you over on shipping or not.

I dont ever use the "note to seller" field during payment simply because I dont think a lot of sellers even read them.  I always try to work out the details before I pay.  And if the description doesnt state "I combine shipping" then I always ask before bidding.

You may still be able to get some of your money back but I expect you'll be leaving your first neg soon instead.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:And if the description doesnt state "I combine shipping" then I always ask before bidding.

I made the mistake of paying the fee and including the note at the same time, assuming that it was something other than the seller trying to collect double the shipping - fair enough, lesson learned.  And again, I still might have assumed correctly - I may get the difference back without any further prompting.  I've ran into situations where adjustments were required after payment and have never had any issues.  Everyone I've dealt with on eBay has been on the up and up (except in 1 case, that doesn't apply here).

In the grand scheme of things, the money is trivial, and the number of ebay transactions I burn through in a month, I will probably forget this even happened by summer time.

The fact that someone has to be asked to "combine shipping" on like items where logically it makes no sense to not...  Shrug.  I kinda equate that to having to ask them to not steal from me.  Like I said.  Lesson learned I guess.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm 

stylean wrote:The fact that someone has to be asked to "combine shipping" on like items where logically it makes no sense to not....

I completely agree.  It doesnt make any sense not to combine shipping under most circumstances and a seller shouldnt have to even state it so in the auction description, by the same token the buyer shouldnt even have to ask.

Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of unethical, greedy douchebags that seem to think it necessary to siphon as many pennies as possible from their buyers just because they can.  Nothing pisses me off more than a seller charging me one shipping price and then spending only a percentage of the original shipping cost to ship the package.  If they would simply state in their auction descriptions that they charge an additional dollar per item or perhaps an extra small charge for handling and materials I would be fine with it because at least then they are up front about it and I can then decide if I want to bid on the item and pay the additional costs.

So if the seller sends you the package and it only cost half of what you paid for shipping, send the seller an email and demand a refund.  If they wont do it, you can always open a case with Ebay and/or neg the crap out of him.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:So if the seller sends you the package and it only cost half of what you paid for shipping, send the seller an email and demand a refund.  
If they wont do it, you can always open a case with Ebay and/or neg the crap out of him.

You can also post low scores to the sellers DSRs (Detailed Sellers Ratings) during feedback.
I have been told that doing so will affect active E-Bay sellers far more than a NEG feedback will, and by doing both you would really stick it to them.

I have not done that myself though... at least not yet.
Even on the few occasions when I was not happy, I still did not totally mess with the DSR scores and have not left a NEG in YEARS...
And even then, I think out of about 2500 total transactions, I might have left 2 negs...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am 

This is the very definition of Keyword Spamming on Ebay:

I could be wrong and check but I'm pretty sure a 30 year old Thieves Guild module doesn't mention Babylon 5 :wink:

There are about 98 items on ebay from T&T with the same sequence of "D&D White Wolf Babylon 5" in the title, despite having nothing to do with most of those words (or in some cases all three).  I don't have the time to report all of these, sheesh.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 pm 

The price caught my eye. The bidding seems suspicious. Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Expert-Dungeons-and ... 19c407c09c

:?

Another one: same seller

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0663026309

two new bidders with low feedback. Maybe this isn't what it seems, but it seems shady

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 pm 

nevcoup wrote:two new bidders with low feedback. Maybe this isn't what it seems, but it seems shady

The two bidders are new but they have bid on a lot of auctions from other sellers too - looks okay to me.  These are the type of people that drive Ebay - noobs who don't know they can find items cheap so bid up high or buy BINs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 pm 

Fair enough :lol:
Maybe it is lightly shady: "dappled shade"
I wish these noobs would find MY auctions.... 8O

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:06 am 

nevcoup wrote:Fair enough :lol:
Maybe it is lightly shady: "dappled shade"
I wish these noobs would find MY auctions.... 8O

I just wish ANYONE would find mine... and BID! :lol:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 am 

nevcoup wrote:The price caught my eye. The bidding seems suspicious. Any thoughts?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

:?
Another one: same seller
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0663026309

two new bidders with low feedback. Maybe this isn't what it seems, but it seems shady

35 and 42 are considered low feedback bids now?  :?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:27 am 

:lol:

Yes I noted that too.
:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:35 and 42 are considered low feedback bids now?  :?

The 42 now 45 feedback guy still has the new to ebay tag on him so they are new.  The feedback has been moving up steadily too.  But ya, I would probably consider under 50 a low score on Ebay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 pm 

The 35-ish buyer does have a 41% bid history with the same seller. The other must have come into a ton of money recently. He's bidding on everything under the sun.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:The 35-ish buyer does have a 41% bid history with the same seller.

That's a bit of a misleading stat.  It should also be pointed out that this is based on data from the last 30 days so its not a long history with this seller and that 3 of the last 9 items he bid on were from this this seller.  The other 6 items he bid on were from 5 different sellers.

I think the important stat to look at is that he has bid on 9 items from 6 different sellers.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:The 35-ish buyer does have a 41% bid history with the same seller.

Here's what I don't like about this stat.  Its too easy to inflate without having much meaning.

Another example (okay a bit artificially created but still valid):

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... e_ViewLink

This buyer has a 46% bid rate on Seller 1's auction but has bid on 19 auctions from 15 different sellers.  Probably wouldn't be considered a shill bid. Or ... maybe it would - hiking up the price on a fellow colleague for shits and giggles :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm 

Here's a new one for the list:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Initially the seller had the book listed with a starting price of $10 and $45 for shipping within Canada.  Now its $20 with a $35 shipping cost :)

I think it weighs under 500g so could be shipped for $3 within Canada and if over then $12.  I'm not sure if the selling is just trying the usual Ebay scam or is just clueless.  I messaged them and they seem to be wanting to use the most expensive way to ship the book.  Not sure who would want to pay an additional $35  for shipping on any of these books - but I guess I'm not sure anyone would want to pay $20 as a starting bid on any of them either.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 104123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 102103104