Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 104123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 102103104
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 am 

FormCritic wrote:An offer to refund or otherwise make good.  Sounds totally fair to me.

The problem is that he lists all this clunky SW stuff as new and unused when it is actually worn, possibly water damaged, bent, bumped, insect damage and generally in terrible shape.  Then when you get the package o' junk and complain he offers a partial refund.  This is a very shady practice.

List it honestly!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm 

I've bought from Hamilcar many times over the years, and never had an issue with the quality of the stuff he sold me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've bought from Hamilcar many times over the years, and never had an issue with the quality of the stuff he sold me.

I am glad you have had great dealings with him.
I have purchased items from hamilcar over several years and until this week had few issues; and those were resolved in one way or another.
Well enough that I never felt the need to talk about him here, or to leave negative feedback on E-Bay.

However, my latest purchase from him was this $4 Judges Guild book and I am VERY peeved this time....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The book arrived this afternoon.
Water damage throughout the entire book.
EVERY SINGLE PAGE... including both covers.
And it aint new damage, as the stains are quite obviously old ones.
Additionally it was shipped in a 11"x14" padded envelope with no backing board. :roll:

Description.
You are bidding on a rare and out of print Spies of Lightelf by Judges Guild for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Roleplaying game by TSR games.  
This game product is new and complete with all inserts maps, etc.

It seems to me that this seller does sometimes ship things that do not equate to the very generic descriptions in the listings.

The Price I paid of the book is NOT relevant either.

With the OBVIOUS water damage that this one has I would never have made a bid at all if I had known.

Not even at the starting bid (Which was IIRC $1).

A description in the listing that does not match what is shipped is no different for a $1 item than for a $25 item.

And to not mention Water Damage... ?

Well that simply sucks folks and IMO there is NO possible (valid) excuse for that omission.

I have bought, sold and/or touched literally THOUSANDS of Judges Guild items over the years and there is no way in H E L L  that I would have sold this book at all, much less stated it was in new condition.

It should have been thrown in the garbage...

I know another big E-Bay re-seller who is also a member here and has Thousands of items in stock and sales in the tens of thousands on E-Bay through the years.

He would have tossed this book in the trash and not even blinked....

Certainly would NEVER have listed the book as new!

I am VERY peeved about this... in case some of you missed that in the wording above.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm 

I have to say I never had a single problem with Hamilcar. Everything was exactly as described. I have bought from him for many years, though admittedly only about 10 items or so. And most were NOT AD&D related. My two cents.
Anyway, if you have a problem, work it out and move on. Let's not paint with too broad a brush, though if a fine-tip is applicable, have at it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm 

Everyone I have ever dealt with on here has been very lovely, though admittedly, it started as an off eBay thing so maybe that helps?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:OK, some of you people are the lowest form of scum.

Excellent way to win people over to your side. Nice work.

Also, your listings are fundamentally inaccurate. You list everything as being basically new — just like a certain Cougar we all know — and even the God-awful images you use show bending, scuffing, scratching, warping and other defects. You realize people have actual eyes, right?

Your business model appears to be the following: "List it as new and hope the suckers don't ask for a refund."

Here's a solution, though: JUST LIST ACCURATELY.

Do that and you will never appear in this thread or ever again have to offer a refund.

Problem solved; glad I could help.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 am 

Over all the years and thousands of transactions I have had on E-Bay; I have only had two problems that were never worked out by both parties.

Hamilcar has offered a full refund for the listing mentioned above.
Once that full refund is sent I will leave feedback and post a note saying as much here.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:15 pm 

So, I think I'm about |  | close to leaving my first neg on eBay for a seller.

Bid on and won 2 of his auctions, 1 book in 1 auction, 3 in the other.  Both listed at $6 for shipping.  I submit for an invoice and get back ... $12 for shipping.

Now, I have all 4 books already.  These are better copies.  They are not thick - all combined, maybe the thickness of one of the supermodules.

WTF?

If he doesn't ship them in seperate packages, then I'm politely going to ask for some of those dollars back, which Im assuming I will get ignored.

So then I'm negging him, hitting his DSR, and reporting him for inflated shipping.  (The only reason I havn't named him yet is ... maybe, maybe, maybe it was an honest mistake and he will refund).

So, uh, overreaction on my part?  Or is still acceptable to "not combine shipping" when clearly combining is absolutely 0 effort?  I mean I'm not totally inflexable - I woulda let an extra 2 or 3 bucks slide.  But doubling?  ....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:17 pm 

Contact the seller.  

Possibly, he is just on autopilot...maybe even literally on autopilot.

Possibly, he is thinking his price is justified...and might re-think if you ask him about it.

You lose nothing by communication.  Talk now.  Fight later.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Contact the seller.  
You lose nothing by communication.  Talk now.  Fight later.

Excellent point.  Most sellers will happily oblige.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Talk now.  Fight later.

Definitely.  I had something similar happen to me about a month ago.  Asked the seller for an invoice for the two items I won in separate auctions.  He sent me an invoice with double what the expected shipping should have been.  I emailed him and politely asked why the shipping was so high.  His response was basically befuddlement.  He said he put a lower price in the revised invoice but for whatever reason it didnt show up on my end when I went to pay.  He apologized and simply refunded me the difference once I had paid.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Definitely.  I had something similar happen to me about a month ago.  Asked the seller for an invoice for the two items I won in separate auctions.  He sent me an invoice with double what the expected shipping should have been.  I emailed him and politely asked why the shipping was so high.  His response was basically befuddlement.  He said he put a lower price in the revised invoice but for whatever reason it didnt show up on my end when I went to pay.  He apologized and simply refunded me the difference once I had paid.

I suppose I should have also said that I did (politely) point out that the amount paid for shipping was doubled in the "note to seller" field.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:40 am 

stylean wrote:
I suppose I should have also said that I did (politely) point out that the amount paid for shipping was doubled in the "note to seller" field.

OK, now I am a bit unclear as to exactly how you got to this point.  It sounds as if you paid the seller at the same time you sent the note stating that you thought the shipping was too high.  Why didnt you send a follow up response to the shipping quote on the invoice before paying?  That way you would have known if there was intent to screw you over on shipping or not.

I dont ever use the "note to seller" field during payment simply because I dont think a lot of sellers even read them.  I always try to work out the details before I pay.  And if the description doesnt state "I combine shipping" then I always ask before bidding.

You may still be able to get some of your money back but I expect you'll be leaving your first neg soon instead.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:And if the description doesnt state "I combine shipping" then I always ask before bidding.

I made the mistake of paying the fee and including the note at the same time, assuming that it was something other than the seller trying to collect double the shipping - fair enough, lesson learned.  And again, I still might have assumed correctly - I may get the difference back without any further prompting.  I've ran into situations where adjustments were required after payment and have never had any issues.  Everyone I've dealt with on eBay has been on the up and up (except in 1 case, that doesn't apply here).

In the grand scheme of things, the money is trivial, and the number of ebay transactions I burn through in a month, I will probably forget this even happened by summer time.

The fact that someone has to be asked to "combine shipping" on like items where logically it makes no sense to not...  Shrug.  I kinda equate that to having to ask them to not steal from me.  Like I said.  Lesson learned I guess.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm 

stylean wrote:The fact that someone has to be asked to "combine shipping" on like items where logically it makes no sense to not....

I completely agree.  It doesnt make any sense not to combine shipping under most circumstances and a seller shouldnt have to even state it so in the auction description, by the same token the buyer shouldnt even have to ask.

Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of unethical, greedy douchebags that seem to think it necessary to siphon as many pennies as possible from their buyers just because they can.  Nothing pisses me off more than a seller charging me one shipping price and then spending only a percentage of the original shipping cost to ship the package.  If they would simply state in their auction descriptions that they charge an additional dollar per item or perhaps an extra small charge for handling and materials I would be fine with it because at least then they are up front about it and I can then decide if I want to bid on the item and pay the additional costs.

So if the seller sends you the package and it only cost half of what you paid for shipping, send the seller an email and demand a refund.  If they wont do it, you can always open a case with Ebay and/or neg the crap out of him.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:So if the seller sends you the package and it only cost half of what you paid for shipping, send the seller an email and demand a refund.  
If they wont do it, you can always open a case with Ebay and/or neg the crap out of him.

You can also post low scores to the sellers DSRs (Detailed Sellers Ratings) during feedback.
I have been told that doing so will affect active E-Bay sellers far more than a NEG feedback will, and by doing both you would really stick it to them.

I have not done that myself though... at least not yet.
Even on the few occasions when I was not happy, I still did not totally mess with the DSR scores and have not left a NEG in YEARS...
And even then, I think out of about 2500 total transactions, I might have left 2 negs...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 am 

This is the very definition of Keyword Spamming on Ebay:

I could be wrong and check but I'm pretty sure a 30 year old Thieves Guild module doesn't mention Babylon 5 :wink:

There are about 98 items on ebay from T&T with the same sequence of "D&D White Wolf Babylon 5" in the title, despite having nothing to do with most of those words (or in some cases all three).  I don't have the time to report all of these, sheesh.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 pm 

The price caught my eye. The bidding seems suspicious. Any thoughts?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

:?

Another one: same seller

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0663026309

two new bidders with low feedback. Maybe this isn't what it seems, but it seems shady

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 76 of 104123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 102103104