Shady Dealers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 75 of 104123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 102103104
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:54 pm 

Ok I retrieved my questionable books. One Star Frontiers module has some worn corners and browning that appears to be on the plastic and not the book. Another Star Frontiers modules only has corner wear. The other three, 2nd ed. DnD books, are still wrapped tightly with no apparent wearing or damage. I cannot detect any odors from the books or magazine sleeves I stored them in. I also bought an Alternity book that wasn't SW but isn't new and is worn along the edges and corners.

I think I will open the potentially bad SF module and discard if necessary.

I will contact the seller to see if he is willing to offer any kind of refund.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:06 pm 

Hamilcar is a member of the Acaeum.

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=956

He's a long-time seller who often deals in lower-end items.

In my own experince, he's a bit dodgy on staple rust...and I told him so...but I did not ask for a refund because I felt I was still ahead on the price.

Why don't you contact him and tell him you're unhappy? Maybe he'll make it right.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 am 

beasterbrook wrote:seems very cheep..

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Brette:)

Troll & Toad kept my money for four weeks before cancelling this sale... if they were legitimately out-of-stock, then that is unreasonably long period of time...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:32 pm 

Hamilcar refunded 25% of my purchase price as the Gamma World/Star Frontiers modules had rusted staples.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:04 pm 

bamajon1974 wrote:Gamma World/Star Frontiers modules had rusted staples.

There was another seller a while back who was selling a old TSR stuff in shrink.  The big trouble with shrink is that you really don't know what is inside.  This particular sell sold a lot of old stock.  I think a few people from here also bought a bunch of it and a bunch to resell.  I opened a few of the items that I picked up (SF and GW) and all of them had lots of staple rust.  The staples are on the inside of the folder so you can't tell if they are rusted or not without opening the shrink.

I have often wondered how copies of TSR modules that "mint in shrink" really have rusted staples inside.  As a personal guess, I think it is probably in the 50% range.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:32 pm 

Hamilcar refunded a portion of what I had to pay (~25% of cost) and was left with decently readable (but not mint) and more importantly not moldy books so I can live with it. I just need to be more careful in the future to ask about odors, stains, etc. in SW.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 pm 

davidc wrote:
Troll & Toad kept my money for four weeks before cancelling this sale... if they were legitimately out-of-stock, then that is unreasonably long period of time...

Refunds do seem to be an issue with T&T.. offering them seems to be the main issue when there is a problem with the order..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 am 

OK, some of you people are the lowest form of scum.  I am not a liar or a jackass though a see several of you are.  I always take care of problems even when they aren't my fault such as Post Office damage.  I always take care of my mistakes.  Ask anyone that has asked for a refund if I refused them.  In fact I ask them what they think is fair.  For two reasons.  One is they now have the stuff so they know better than I do the problems. The other is the customer is always right.  I have worked too hard to cultivate my business to have some sniveling morons insult me.  I currently have a 8556 feedback at 100%, on ebay.  Do you think that is an accident? I have received feedback for 23,059 so saying only half sold items get feedback roughly that means I've sold 46,000 items.  Sure, with that many old items some if not a lot aren't going to be perfect.  But like I said I'll make those good.  The nerve of some spineless morons.

Last edited by Hamilcar on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 am 

An offer to refund or otherwise make good.  Sounds totally fair to me.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:An offer to refund or otherwise make good.  Sounds totally fair to me.

I can't really do more than that.  Thanks for agreeing with me.  As always, if anyone is displeased let me know what THEY think is fair.  I will take care of it.  As I always have.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 am 

FormCritic wrote:An offer to refund or otherwise make good.  Sounds totally fair to me.

The problem is that he lists all this clunky SW stuff as new and unused when it is actually worn, possibly water damaged, bent, bumped, insect damage and generally in terrible shape.  Then when you get the package o' junk and complain he offers a partial refund.  This is a very shady practice.

List it honestly!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm 

I've bought from Hamilcar many times over the years, and never had an issue with the quality of the stuff he sold me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've bought from Hamilcar many times over the years, and never had an issue with the quality of the stuff he sold me.

I am glad you have had great dealings with him.
I have purchased items from hamilcar over several years and until this week had few issues; and those were resolved in one way or another.
Well enough that I never felt the need to talk about him here, or to leave negative feedback on E-Bay.

However, my latest purchase from him was this $4 Judges Guild book and I am VERY peeved this time....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The book arrived this afternoon.
Water damage throughout the entire book.
EVERY SINGLE PAGE... including both covers.
And it aint new damage, as the stains are quite obviously old ones.
Additionally it was shipped in a 11"x14" padded envelope with no backing board. :roll:

Description.
You are bidding on a rare and out of print Spies of Lightelf by Judges Guild for the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Roleplaying game by TSR games.  
This game product is new and complete with all inserts maps, etc.

It seems to me that this seller does sometimes ship things that do not equate to the very generic descriptions in the listings.

The Price I paid of the book is NOT relevant either.

With the OBVIOUS water damage that this one has I would never have made a bid at all if I had known.

Not even at the starting bid (Which was IIRC $1).

A description in the listing that does not match what is shipped is no different for a $1 item than for a $25 item.

And to not mention Water Damage... ?

Well that simply sucks folks and IMO there is NO possible (valid) excuse for that omission.

I have bought, sold and/or touched literally THOUSANDS of Judges Guild items over the years and there is no way in H E L L  that I would have sold this book at all, much less stated it was in new condition.

It should have been thrown in the garbage...

I know another big E-Bay re-seller who is also a member here and has Thousands of items in stock and sales in the tens of thousands on E-Bay through the years.

He would have tossed this book in the trash and not even blinked....

Certainly would NEVER have listed the book as new!

I am VERY peeved about this... in case some of you missed that in the wording above.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm 

I have to say I never had a single problem with Hamilcar. Everything was exactly as described. I have bought from him for many years, though admittedly only about 10 items or so. And most were NOT AD&D related. My two cents.
Anyway, if you have a problem, work it out and move on. Let's not paint with too broad a brush, though if a fine-tip is applicable, have at it.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm 

Everyone I have ever dealt with on here has been very lovely, though admittedly, it started as an off eBay thing so maybe that helps?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:OK, some of you people are the lowest form of scum.

Excellent way to win people over to your side. Nice work.

Also, your listings are fundamentally inaccurate. You list everything as being basically new — just like a certain Cougar we all know — and even the God-awful images you use show bending, scuffing, scratching, warping and other defects. You realize people have actual eyes, right?

Your business model appears to be the following: "List it as new and hope the suckers don't ask for a refund."

Here's a solution, though: JUST LIST ACCURATELY.

Do that and you will never appear in this thread or ever again have to offer a refund.

Problem solved; glad I could help.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 am 

Over all the years and thousands of transactions I have had on E-Bay; I have only had two problems that were never worked out by both parties.

Hamilcar has offered a full refund for the listing mentioned above.
Once that full refund is sent I will leave feedback and post a note saying as much here.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:15 pm 

So, I think I'm about |  | close to leaving my first neg on eBay for a seller.

Bid on and won 2 of his auctions, 1 book in 1 auction, 3 in the other.  Both listed at $6 for shipping.  I submit for an invoice and get back ... $12 for shipping.

Now, I have all 4 books already.  These are better copies.  They are not thick - all combined, maybe the thickness of one of the supermodules.

WTF?

If he doesn't ship them in seperate packages, then I'm politely going to ask for some of those dollars back, which Im assuming I will get ignored.

So then I'm negging him, hitting his DSR, and reporting him for inflated shipping.  (The only reason I havn't named him yet is ... maybe, maybe, maybe it was an honest mistake and he will refund).

So, uh, overreaction on my part?  Or is still acceptable to "not combine shipping" when clearly combining is absolutely 0 effort?  I mean I'm not totally inflexable - I woulda let an extra 2 or 3 bucks slide.  But doubling?  ....

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 75 of 104123 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 102103104